Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New year, new shoes, new log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Back at physio this morning. Since last week, I've swam (swum?) 4 times, a total of 2km (not much, but when you swim as badly as I do, every metre is a triumph) and I've walked a total of 5 slow miles. Pain nowhere near as bad as it was, but it's still there :( So, physio wants me to get xray to try to rule out any possibility of stress fracture. Got referral letter from gp and heading to hospital tomorrow morning. Doc has already told me stress frac may not show up on xray but to get it just to be on safe side. Not allowed run, not allowed even jog. Have to keep up my stretching, light walking and swimming. Orthotics fitted into shoes today so getting used to those as well. She's knocked next weekend's half on the head. Soooo peed off, glass definitely half empty rather than half full today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sorry to hear that :( *hugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sorry for the bad news. Hope you get better soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sorry to hear that Rachel. Hope it's not a stress fracture, would be a shame for you to miss out on the marathon after all your hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

ah no, how frustrating. Hope it all works out well for you and we see you at the DCM start line.

Thanks for the good wishes folks, I really need them. Went to the hospital yesterday for xray - jeez, that was fun:rolleyes: When I rang them, they told me to just turn up cos I had a gp referral letter. When I got there, the "nice" lady said, no, you can't just turn up, you need an appt. She grudgingly said she'd try to fit me in. I sat for 30 mins and then asked her, are you fitting me in. She looked at me as if I was a moron and said, of course, your letter is gone over. So far so good... After another hour I was eventually called in and xrayed. The technician said, right, we'll send a report to the gp, he'll have it by Wednesday... I said, is there anyone who could have a quick look at it now and let me know if there's anything on it. She looked me up and down, said we're very busy and anyway it's not urgent is it? My blood pressure had been rising through all this and I said well I'd like to know. She looked me up and down again, said you can walk can't you, report going to doctor. I actually cried on the way back to the car because I was so frustrated and angry... If I'd gone to the VHI clinic or Euromedic, I'd have the results now but I'd also have paid at least another 85 euro, and I've already spent 200 on physio so far.

Anyway enough with the wallowing. I've been like a divil over the past few weeks and it's not really fair on the poor unfortunates who live with me. I have to accept that DCM may not be for me this year. I am not saying no just yet, but I have to think about it. I'll be gutted if I don't get to the start line, but what can I do. So plan B - is Barcelona in March. OH and I are together 20 years :eek: in March. So we've booked flights over on the Friday and back on the Monday - it'll be our Christmas pressie:) He's quite happy to watch me do the marathon, he's just a bit worried he'll be a bit of a spare part if there's loads of boardsies and he's the only non-runner. Just have to book a hotel and register for the marathon now.

So back to this morning. Was awake quite early - body still used to getting up for the early runs. Decided to go out for a walk. Did just under 3 miles, time not important! Have to try to keep some level of fitness, I can literally feel it seeping out of me, the longer I go without running. I did all my stretches before I went out, and warmed up nicely as I was walking. Will do my stretches again today and maybe walk again tomorrow. So plan for next week is walking and swimming and trying not to worry about xray report...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

The joys of the Irish hospital system... There really isn't any way that you can speed these things up - apart from going through casualty but they wouldn't have let you do that - so it's just sit and wait.

Fingers crossed it's nothing! Don't give up hope completely yet :) All the same, the Barca trip will be great and your hubby will be fine around Boardsies, just make sure you give him some personal time to ;) Who knows? Might inspire him to take up running!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If it comes to it, Barcelona sounds like a great marathon, so it would be a great way to start... but fingers crossed for good news

Typical Irish Health Service...hope it works out for you but if not Barca will be fab! I am really tempted to book flights myself. I'd say your OH will do just fine with everyone.

Another 3 miles this morning. Felt no ill effects from yesterday so thought I'd go a bit faster than yesterday - more power walking. Leg pain still there, but no worse which is good I suppose :rolleyes: Swimming tomorrow and maybe another walk - I'm buggered if I'm letting my fitness slip away now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hey Rachel, sorry to hear about the injury. Just wanted to say that the hubby shouldn't worry about barca, were all friendly people. It will be a great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Rachel I hope everything works out for and you get back running soon. Best of luck keeping up the fitness, I know how hard it is to motivate yourself when you can't run.

If you don't make Dublin, maybe I'll see you in Barcelona :)

What hospital did you go to Rachel? Last time I had one they said it'd be a week for my GP to get the results, but I just checked the system an hour later myself and got them. :rolleyes:

I went to Beaumont RQ, it's the one closest to me. Can you check other hospitals or just James?

Just James' unfortunately. Was worth a shot though. It's stupid that they take so long to sort out the results when the report is up on the system about 45 minutes after your scan. Mine was a really urgent one too so there was no way I was waiting a week to get my results.

No worries, I'll just have to stick it out till Wednesday, although I'll probably ring on Tuesday just in case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Fingers and toes crossed for ya Rach.

Went swimming yesterday and today - 600m yesterday, 850m today. I know that's not a lot for some people, but I'm such a woeful swimmer I'm delighted with myself :D Had very little pain in my leg after the swim - actually felt great - so also went for a 2.6 mile walk, and jogged about half of it. I ran very very slowly and broke it down into 0.4mile jogs. It feels okay, so will try same tomorrow if all ok then. Still waiting for xray results from doc...

Just heard from doc. Signs of stress fracture on xray. He'll fax report to physio in the morning and we'll decide on treatment. To say I'm gutted is an understatement. I was really hoping the xray would be clear and I could get back training. My only hope is to keep up the swimming, assuming I'm allowed swim, and aim for March. On another note, I swam 1000m this morning so that's good I suppose. Now, excuse me while I go off and cry into a snickers bar, I've a feeling I'll be consuming a lot of chocolate over the next few hours/days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

So sorry to hear that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Oh noooo :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sorry to hear it. :(
    Break open some Rioja and tapas, get an Almodovar dvd out, and start thinking of Barcelona...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Sorry Rachel, Barcelona will have added impetus now, Viva Éspana, good luck with the recovery

Ah crap! Plenty of chocolate. You deserve it!!

Sory about that Rachel, on the positive side, running Barcelona is so much more glamourous than Dublin. See you there!!

• Advertisement

Barcelona training starts on Novermber 1st. You'll be fit again just in time to get going. Really sorry to hear this, I know it's the second year in a row for you, if anyone on here knows exactly how crappy this feels for you, it's me. Nothing any of us can say will make you feel better, just look onto the next race and trust me, the hard work you put into Dublin training will stick with you as you move on to your Barcelona training.

Onwards and upwards. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Really bad luck racheljev. Keep your head up and you'll be back before you know it. RacoonQueen is right, marathon strgenth is built over months and years. What you've done up to now will stand to you for your next marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Sorry to hear that, hope your better soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Ah no Rachel :( What a spot of bad luck. If you would like some variety in your recovery choc PM your address and I'll send you some of these delicacies from NZ. (they come in 250g blocks, mmmm.) http://www.whittakers.co.nz/products/Default.aspx

Well, it's 2 weeks on since doc told me about stress fracture and there's not a whole lot else to report - but my log was over on page 5 and I just felt like I had to bump it up a bit ;)

I went to visit the doc 10 days ago to discuss the xray and treatment, and he noticed that Beaumont appear to have xrayed the right leg instead of the left - or at least that's what the report said. Needless to say, the only xray taken was of my left leg and the right leg was hanging off the bed while the xray was being taken so there's def a problem somewhere :rolleyes: It also mentioned distal when apparently my pain has been medial (?), so we've asked the radiographer to have another look - surprise, surprise, still waiting. Doc has referred me for MRI which is happening 7th Oct.

I've been swimming fairly consistently since my last report, and managed to use an exercise bike today - oh the joys! I've kept up the stretches and strengthening exercises as well. I have no pain at all in my leg, which is good so I'm hoping if the MRI is ok, to start back slowly maybe next weekend. I'm still having huge problems accepting that DCM is not for me this year. My head knows it's a no no but my heart is still thinking - well if I got a 10 miler in, maybe I'd be okay... I can't describe how crap I felt on the morning of the half, knowing I should be in the park and I wasn't. Really horrible.

Anyway, that's the end of it for now, will update when I've more info.

• Advertisement

racheljev wrote: »
    I'm still having huge problems accepting that DCM is not for me this year. My head knows it's a no no but my heart is still thinking - well if I got a 10 miler in, maybe I'd be okay... I can't describe how crap I felt on the morning of the half, knowing I should be in the park and I wasn't. Really horrible.

I know the feeling. I ran across the road today and felt no pain - that got my hopes up. :(

I still hold out stupid hopes that I can make it to the start line, with DCM 09 and Barca 2010 I knew I could run them and it wouldn't be too risky, different this time. Eyes on Barcelona, eyes on Barcelona, eyes on Barcelona... :)

I know what it's like rach but as RQ says eyes on the prize, eyes on Barca. If running Dublin meant further time off - would it really be worth it?

Set some new fitness goals for yourself for variety. I got the bike as i was injured so long and am now throwing in kettlebells soon. can you take aqua jogging classes anywhere? A properly structured class is a nice release and enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

So sorry to hear about Dublin Rachel. God there seems to be some kind of injury curse over us girls this year:(

Had my MRI done this morning, results either tomorrow or Monday. 6 weeks today since my last proper run. I've been swimming and using the bike in the gym, even tried the cross trainer this week - and discovered i have no natural co-ordination :rolleyes: Just waiting now for doc to tell me I can run; doesn't matter how slowly, I just want to get out! And for anyone who is interested, here's a pic of my legs - can YOU spot the dodgy one;)
    legmri.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

can YOU spot the dodgy one;)

The one with the tatoo? :confused:

Rant alert - look away now if of a delicate nature... Rang my doc to see if the results of the MRI were back. The receptionist didn't have them and told me to ring back on Tuesday - Tuesday!! It's Friday today, the radiographer yesterday told me they'd prob be in today, Monday at the latest. Told receptionist this, she grudgingly agreed to ring and check. She has just left a message on my phone saying, no they're not back, might be Monday, best to leave it till Wednesday to ring. Wednesday!! For f*** sake, it's getting further and further away. What is the frickin' point of me paying VHI to go to a private clinic to get an MRI if I have to wait as long as I did for the stupid initial xray from Beaumont??? It's now almost 4:20 p.m. so nothing else will be done today by doc's receptionist and I am going out of my frickin' mind. Every day that goes by feels like another day wasted. I know it's not really wasted, as it means I'm resting the stupid sore leg (which, by the by, is not at all sore anymore) but it feels like it's wasted. I honestly thought that if all was ok, I might get out tomorrow for a trial run to see how it all felt. And to be honest, I'm very bloody tempted to go out anyway. It's 6 weeks - enough already.

How very frustrating. Just look at it as an extended break. It dowes the body good even if the mind is crazy and breaks like help prevent injuries down the line as the body has had a rest from the constant training.

Try to hold off until next week. Maybe plan somethinbg the weekend if ya can with the family to keep you ticking over. Weathers to be nice tomorrow so if ye could go to the park or a hike or something. End is in sight.

EDIT: 3000 posts! WOOP!

Thanks UL, but I've just had enough now, there's no placating me at the minute (oooh and congrats on 3000 posts!) Rational and reasonable thought is out the window, at least for tonight. I'm just so peed off with the whole thing, and I'm sure at this stage, all the boardsies are peed off with me moaning about it. I was waiting for yesterday's MRI for almost 3 weeks, and then to have to wait even more... AAAGH! And to put the tin hat on it all, I just got my marathon acceptance email - seriously, enough! I'm off to inhale a large bar of chocolate (after I fight my way through rush hour traffic to bring child no.1 to GAA training and child no.2 to gymnastic training - which both begin at the same time and are in opposite directions. Of course.) Grrrrrr....

I have some great chocolate suggestions for you if you so wish.

ULstudent wrote: »
    I have some great chocolate suggestions for you if you so wish.
    You like all that fancy dark choc stuff though don't you? I'm a straightforward Cadbury's Dairy milk gal, the bigger the bar, the better ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

You like all that fancy dark choc stuff though don't you? I'm a straightforward Cadbury's Dairy milk gal, the bigger the bar, the better ;)

I'll be joining you and also a nice few glasses of wine. Pro side of not doing DCM, we can drink as much as we like...gotta find some silver lining in the crappy cloud!

Rachel I was out for 6 weeks this time last year and I thought I'd be back to having to take walking breaks when I started again but was pleasantly surprised. Yes i had lost some fitness and it took a few weeks to get back to normal but I wasnt back to square one or anywhere close. The good thing is that the longer you are out the stronger that bone will get ie less liklihood of recurrence.

Thanks LB, I know the rest is good. I'm just peed off with the never ending delays and what seems to be the constant waiting for phone calls from my doctor! Tomorrow I'll be more positive, honest and I'll hide my runners tonight so I can't go out in the morning ;)

Well the MRI results finally came back and the doc just rang me. Apparently I have bilateral damage in both legs, not just the left, which is indicative of stress, or possibly infection or tumour - is it possible to hear the word tumour in any context without having a sh** fit? Anyway doc pretty certain it's all stress related, as apparently tumours are unilateral as opposed to bilateral, but as he said, we're no further on than we were last week. So he recommended that if I want to keep fit, I should join a gym and swim a lot. Basically, not run - ever. I told him that's not an option as I'm going to run one way or the other. So he wants me to head to the Exwell clinic in DCU to see a sports medicine doctor. I'm heading up tomorrow to see a physio first and then move on from there. I honestly can't describe the total frustration I feel right at this minute. I'm very tempted to head for the hills and scream my head off. So peed off with the whole thing.

that's so **** to hear Rach. I wouldn't worry about the no running part yet - many docters will say things along the lines as they have no experience with gait and how to get into prehab routine to build up and stuff. A good sprts medicine doctor will be able to advise and look and tell you where to go next.

Focus on good mental health and fitness for the moment. Swimming - AQUA JOG! im tellin you - i really liked it when i was off injury. If there is a good class nearby- go to it. cycle. Take a variety of fitness classes, weight training. A good compound weights routine will make you strong and prevent you from injury in the future. I did a 3.5 kettlebell workshop the weekend and loved it. There are loads of kettlebell classes in Dublin - savage killer workout, great for strength, endurance and cardio. Wild geese MA center and kettlebellsdublin.com are 2 great places to look out for.

If you run in the meantime - minimise impact - grass and trails.

Chin up - the end result of all of this will make you such a stronger person and this is an oppertunity to open new horizons.

IM TELLING YOU! - kettlebell classes and aqua jogging. I promise you, they will take the edge off, they really will. If you promise to do these, i WILL send you a big 250gm bar of cadburys (don't listen to RQ - i HAVE given her her tiffin i promised. she just doesnt remember)

Thanks a million UL, very positive stuff. Will look into the aqua jogging and see whats nearby. Will hold you to the choccie bar ;)

ah no Rachel that really is crAp :( But you have read "Born to Run" haven't you? I imagine if any runner got their legs MRI'd they'd see some damage! That said UL gives good advice there.... at the very least you do need to ensure that the current stress fracture heals well and see what the sports medicine people say. Who knows maybe we'll see you out in vibram 5fingers next year. What will those early morning binmen think of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Feck it anyway rachel, I'm really sorry. That's soooo frustrating for you. Definitely get yourself to the sports medical doc, and hopefully, runningwise, all will not be lost. Fingers crossed for you.

I agree with UL - I've heard great things about aqua jogging too.

Look after yourself!

God that's really ****ty news Rachel. Hopefully the sports doc will have better news for you. Have you been fully resting up or have you been a typical woman and running around doing everything?

Postig from the phone now but will chat to you later. Chin up, I'm living proof that things aren't always as bad as they seem! :)

• Advertisement

That's awful rachel, i feel really bad for you. I would imagine your GP has little knowledge of sports injuries and the sports medicine doctor will have less drastic news for you. Fingers crossed. Chin up!

Advertisement