Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New year, new shoes, new log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lila

Hi Rachel. Just stumbled on your log here and want to let you know I undestand your frustration and that YOU WILL BE OK : )

I fractured my pelvis 3 weeks before the Dublin marathon in 2008 and between the initial disappointment (lots of tears!), the delays in getting scan results (lots of angry phone calls!) and the long recovery (wonderful husband taking the brunt of moaning!!) I nearly went demented!

The frustration at not being able to run is intense but you will get back to training again. I would be shocked if there was a good medical reason for never running again - sounds like rubbish coming from someone who doesn't understand running. You just need to find a sports physician and physio who understand what needs to be done to get you healthy as well as understanding running mechanics and the sport in general.

I was told not to run for at least 9 months but I was doing little 10 min jogs on grass after 4 months and was able to PB in Dublin in 2009. You really, really have to listen to your body and build back up in baby steps. Sounds crap but it's not that bad really. You'll be so delighted to be able to run at all that 10 minutes will be a joy!

Take care of your body now by recovering properly and you'll have many more years of running to look forward to.

Chin up lady - L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's awful rachel, i feel really bad for you. I would imagine your GP has little knowledge of sports injuries and the sports medicine doctor will have less drastic news for you. Fingers crossed. Chin up!

+1 on this. I think the guys in the sports clinic have probably seen more of this and have ways of treating it in some way. Hang in there.

PS. Dont know if the doctor prescribed anything, but I'm writing you a prescription for a bottle of wine.
    Dosage: Have a glass before and after dinner, then throughout the evening as needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Just caught up with all of this now Rachel. I'm so sorry, it sounds so bloody frustrating. But I don't think Irish docs have a clue about this stuff, I think you're right to get more information/other expert opinions. To tell someone not to run again is a very safe option for him, when in fact there could be plenty of possibilities, ways to get you strong and ready to run again. We're all thinking of you xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Thanks a million folks for all the positive thoughts. I think I was in shock this morning, thoughts of Barcelona and New York next year disappearing off into the wild blue yonder! I've got an appointment for Thursday with a sports medicine man - thought it was Wednesday but that was only for physio so want to see the main man first. Hopefully he'll have a better idea about what's best for me. I'll update again after that. Thanks again folks, I really appreciate the support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Blueskye wrote: »
    J To tell someone not to run again is a very safe option for him, when in fact there could be plenty of possibilities, ways to get you strong and ready to run again. We're all thinking of you xx

+1 to this. Much like lawyers, doctors are very good at telling people what they cannot do ... but less helpful telling them what they can achieve and how to do it. My chiro keeps moaning at me about how my running is messing up his handiwork ! One step at a time. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ULstudent wrote: »
    If you promise to do these, i WILL send you a big 250gm bar of cadburys (don't listen to RQ - i HAVE given her her tiffin i promised. she just doesnt remember)

Blatant LIE! :pac:
    racheljev wrote: »
    Well the MRI results finally came back and the doc just rang me. Apparently I have bilateral damage in both legs, not just the left, which is indicative of stress, or possibly infection or tumour - is it possible to hear the word tumour in any context without having a sh** fit? Anyway doc pretty certain it's all stress related, as apparently tumours are unilateral as opposed to bilateral, but as he said, we're no further on than we were last week. So he recommended that if I want to keep fit, I should join a gym and swim a lot. Basically, not run - ever. I told him that's not an option as I'm going to run one way or the other. So he wants me to head to the Exwell clinic in DCU to see a sports medicine doctor. I'm heading up tomorrow to see a physio first and then move on from there. I honestly can't describe the total frustration I feel right at this minute. I'm very tempted to head for the hills and scream my head off. So peed off with the whole thing.

His 'diagnosis' from your MRI is very vague, he should have been able to tell you more than that. Hopefully your visit with the sports med doc will be more productive.

When I went for my scan the doc who saw me didn't seem to give a crap and gave a very sketchy reading from my scan. The sports med guy wasn't worried at all and gave a completely different response to what she did.

Look after yourself, rest, eat well(I know this is hard to do when you're injured and feeling down but the right foods can help), they were shocked how well and quickly I was healing hopefully you will get some positive feedback on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Aaaargh! Like the others have said, I'm sure the doctor is just erring on the extreme side of caution, and saving that you'll never run again seems extremely OTT. I mean jeez, when you think of some of the horrific injuries people have rehabed from. Anyway, want any of that Whittakers choc from NZ? Do you go milk or dark? For milk I can recommend Coconut Rough (I like a bit of rough, me) or for dark the Caramel one is fab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Hi there, i'm just popping in from the thread on the main page to say sorry to hear about the nature or the injury and the best of luck with it. I wasn't aware of the full story until I've just read your log.

But keep your chin up, I know its difficult and ridiculous frustrating but you just have to believe you'll get back and keep trying every option until you do. I know the feeling myself, I was out for over a year with injury and the feeling of frustrating is unbearable at times. But like I said keep your chin up. Hopefully the sports clinic will be able to give you some advice on what you can do to get back running injury free. It might be a slow process but I hope you do get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭BJohnson

After treating many, many runners over the past five years for all sorts of injuries, I've never had to tell any of them to stop running completely. The vast majority of running injuries are simple overuse scenarios and can be sorted out with proper treatment.

Definitely seek a 2nd opinion. When reading any type of scan, you try to determine if the damage is due to trauma, an infection, or a tumor - those are the three main things to look for, and they're not at all equally likely; it all depends on the patient and their history. For someone that's at the end of a marathon training program, it COULD be one of the nasty ones, but it makes far more sense that it's due to trauma. The obvious answer is usually the correct one in these cases.

I see patients regularly that have been told to "just stop running". I always find that to translate into "I don't know what's wrong with you, and I can't be bothered to figure it out." Just because that one person hasn't a clue about running injuries, doesn't mean others don't have the skills to get you back on the road.

PM me if you need any help.

Thanks again folks, feeling more positive today. Will wait until tomorrow before throwing out all my running gear ;) Went to the gym and took out all my frustration on the cross trainer and exercise bike, and then I lashed up and down the pool for a while. I've got that lovely tired feeling you sometimes get in your legs when you know you've had a good run, excellent! BJohnson, that's exactly what the doc said - stress, infection or tumour, but that it was unlikely to be either infection or tumour as the damage was in the same place on both legs. I have the MRI on cd so I'll bring that with me tomorrow for the sports med doc to have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Rachel, really sorry to hear your news. So so disappointing for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Blatant LIE! :pac:

DEluded. You got it when i met ya after you finished work for the great garmin swap. I gave you the tiffin, you gave me the garmin. Jaysus - old age is creeping in on ya.

Rach - good to hear you're feeling positive today. While recovery may take a bit, you will be out there again. Whole lifetime of marathons ahead of you. Positive thoughts = positive outcomes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Thanks again folks, feeling more positive today. Will wait until tomorrow before throwing out all my running gear ;) Went to the gym and took out all my frustration on the cross trainer and exercise bike, and then I lashed up and down the pool for a while. I've got that lovely tired feeling you sometimes get in your legs when you know you've had a good run, excellent! BJohnson, that's exactly what the doc said - stress, infection or tumour, but that it was unlikely to be either infection or tumour as the damage was in the same place on both legs. I have the MRI on cd so I'll bring that with me tomorrow for the sports med doc to have a look.

Hi Rachel,
    I picked up on your thread from the main forum.
    I have recently been through the injury mill with my knee so I understand some of the grief you are going through especially with the medical profession.
    As well as your MRI on CD you should get the report from the radiologist who reviewed your scan at the hospital. This should have been given to your GP and he/she is probably quoting from this in your feedback, it is unlikely your GP actually reviewed the scan directly.
    The report will help your sports med doc to find the best view to see the problem or at least understand the diagnosis, in case he is not able to read the scan either.
    Hang on to the positives and don't go down the what-if path until you have to.
    PS Have you tried looking at the MRI CD on your own PC, I know I did.

Went to see the sports doc today. He doesn't see any reason why I shouldn't start running again in about 6 weeks - hurray! He wants me to be healed completely before I start again, but he reckons I'll be ok in 6-7 weeks. He thinks Barcelona might be a bit soon but I'll be grand for New York in November. I've to keep up the gym and swimming but he thinks I might be overdoing it on the cross trainer and bike, so I've to cool that down a little. Overall, I'm a happier bunny than I was yesterday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

hooray, great news :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

:) great news Rachel! eyes on the prize and all that and I think New York should be your prize now. Would Barcelona half be an option or does he not want you racing at all by then?

Thanks, very relieved to hear I can run at some stage! Re Barcelona: doc said that it might just be a bit soon to go through a full training program and it might do more damage. If it was April rather than March, it'd probably be ok :rolleyes: Ah well, I'll wait and see, I'm not going to rule it out completely yet. I don't think they have a half marathon option, had a quick look on the website and couldn't see it. Anyway that's a worry for another day. Doc was very good, I'd recommend him (then again, I'd recommend anyone who told me I could run again :D) In six weeks, once my left leg feels as ok as my right leg, I can do 30 mins easy, twice a week. The next week, 30 mins 3 times a week, and build up from there. He did warn me about getting too obsessed with the gym - he said he's seen it happen when people get injured before. I asked him about running on concrete because that's where I run all the time. He didn't seem to think of it as too much of a problem once I'm wearing the right shoes. I've also signed up for a chi running course at the end of October so hopefully that will help recovery as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Best news I've heard all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Went to see the sports doc today. He doesn't see any reason why I shouldn't start running again in about 6 weeks - hurray! He wants me to be healed completely before I start again, but he reckons I'll be ok in 6-7 weeks. He thinks Barcelona might be a bit soon but I'll be grand for New York in November. I've to keep up the gym and swimming but he thinks I might be overdoing it on the cross trainer and bike, so I've to cool that down a little. Overall, I'm a happier bunny than I was yesterday!!

Great news ! Congrats !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I'm delighted for your Rachel, must be a huge relief for you.

Best of luck with the recovery, you'll be fighting fit for your 2011 goals :)

• Advertisement

That's great news Rachel, thrilled for you. Knew you'd get good news. :)

Barcelona half is on Valentines weekend so thats out too I'd imagine. If you do swimming, cycling and gym work etc you could always do a 12 week marathon programme and just have a fun run in Barcelona, if you're seeing him again you could ask him about that. It would be a shame to miss out if you've already booked your flights. :)

If you do swimming, cycling and gym work etc you could always do a 12 week marathon programme and just have a fun run in Barcelona, if you're seeing him again you could ask him about that. It would be a shame to miss out if you've already booked your flights. :)

That's kinda what I'm thinking, if I was to give it a go, it would be purely just to get around and because we were there anyway. Our accommodation and flights are non-refundable so one way or another, we'll be in Barca that weekend - will just wait till closer to the time to decide.

Fantastic news!! Yipee :D

NEW YORK BABY!!! That's brilliant news :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Congrats on the great news best of luck and with the recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Barcelona half is on Valentines weekend so thats out too I'd imagine.
    D'oh that's the one I was thinking of... I assumed it was part of the same race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Typical of this place. The first sign of recovery and the links to races the length and breadth of the globe come flooding in :p

I've also signed up for a chi running course at the end of October so hopefully that will help recovery as well.

Me too! the one at the very end of the month in that hotel (cant remember name!)

Me too! the one at the very end of the month in that hotel (cant remember name!)

Castleknock hotel? 30 October? See ya there:D

• Advertisement

That's the one! Il bring you RQ's tiffin bar ;)

Just did my first Pilates class - jeez, it's tough. Apparently it'll make my core super strong, at the moment it's just given me a sore midriff :rolleyes: Working away on the cross trainer and exercise bike - does anyone know if you can count xtrainer miles for the 1000 mile challenge, because if you can, I'll finally break 700 :) Got a package this morning from Earnyourturns in NZ - two huge bars of the most fabulous chocolate, one milk choc, one milk choc with kiwi. Will enjoy some later on to help ease the pain from the Pilates...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

at the moment it's just given me a sore midriff :rolleyes:

That is your core getting super strong!

Hee hee hope you enjoy them! Wasn't sure if you'd like the Kiwifruit one, but then I figured you don't get more New Zealand that Whittaker's Kiwi choc!

Kiwi flavoured chocolate? Seriously? I love kiwis and I love chocolate, not sure about a combo of the two. Rachel, you have to save some and bring it to me. :D

Kiwi flavoured chocolate? Seriously? I love kiwis and I love chocolate, not sure about a combo of the two. Rachel, you have to save some and bring it to me. :D

Pm me your address RQ and I'll send you a few squares. Only a few mind, cos it's gorgeous! Then if you like it, you can deal directly with EYT ;)

• Advertisement

...I just went for a little jog.... I walked the kids to school this morning and walked back nice and briskly. Leg felt perfect, no twinges, nothing. Couldn't go to the gym cos had to bring son to orthodontist for a quick look-see, so I did a cut down version of yesterday's pilates class at home. Got back from ortho quicker than expected and said to myself, I'll go out for a walk. But the leg felt so good, I decided to jog. I'd brought the garmin with me so I could measure how far I'd walked, so I used it to make sure I never went faster than a 10:00/mile pace, and I only did once so I brought it back down very quickly. I had taxi money in my pocket and I promised myself that if I felt the slightest twinge, I'd walk or grab a taxi. No twinges, not a single one. Did 3.1 miles in just about 31 mins so I took my time. Where I always felt the pain before I stopped running was when I was doing cool down stretches afterwards, the release of the stretch always hurt - not this time. So, I'm a happy bunny, but I'm also going to be a sensible one. Swimming only tomorrow, no xtrainer or bike. If I still feel ok, a small jog on Saturday or Sunday and take it easy for the next week or so. Yay, I'm (sorta) back!

Good to hear Rachel, you've still got time for a LSR on Sunday and the marathon on Monday. :pac:

Good to hear Rachel, you've still got time for a LSR on Sunday and the marathon on Monday. :pac:

Absolutely, that's the plan tee hee. God, I wish it was though. NO! Sense has prevailed for once. So do you want some of this choc cos if you do, you'd better get the order in quick :)

Don't worry about me, I'll melt some chocolate and pour kiwi juice in to test it out. Eat it and describe it to me! :pac:

Hmmm I see the possibility for a burgeoning import/export business here....RQ, if you want any Kiwifruit chocolate just hit me up with your address! Will exchange for equal quantities of Cadbury's or Butler's :) Got the teabags in the post from the mammy yesterday - I'm such a cliche of an Irish person abroad.

• Advertisement

Leg feels fine after yesterday's trial, yay! Well actually, lower leg feels grand, thighs are frickin' killing me. Think it's a combination of running for the first time in 8 weeks and pilates - which is the devil's own exercise. So went for a swim this morning, 1000m. Will wait till Sunday and make sure leg still feels ok, and if it does, might try another teeny tiny jog.

Another slow jog - just over 3 miles in just over 31 mins. No twinges or pain again, just f-f-f-f-freezing cold out there! My thighs feel as if they're seized up with the cold, I've forgotten how cold it is running first thing in the morning... Will see how the body feels later on and try for another run on Tuesday, easing back in nice and slowly. Going to try and head out in the morning with the camera to see some of the DCM runners, should be around Phibsboro church - around the 3 mile mark. So if you see me, smile and say hi - it'll be early enough in the course, you'll be grand ;)

Nice one on the jog but take it easy with it. We all know how fast our bodies can change. Listen to what the spoorts med doc told ya.

Next Sat - what Luas stop will bring me close to Castleknock from outside Hueston. It says they are 5min walk from a Luas stop - do ya know which stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Rachel,

Good to hear you're able to run again, albeit short distances - remember, one step at a time
    I've also signed up for a chi running course at the end of October so hopefully that will help recovery as well.

I've signed up for this too, see you both there.
    Next Sat - what Luas stop will bring me close to Castleknock from outside Hueston. It says they are 5min walk from a Luas stop - do ya know which stop?

No Luas on the West side I'm afraid. There is a train that goes to Coolmine and Clonsilla, but it goes from Connolly and you'd still have a long walk.

PM me your travelling arrangements and I'll see if I can pick you up at Hueston.

(aero eyes the Tiffin bar hungrily)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Saw you standing at the church in Phibsboro on Monday morning, let a roar at you but you were too busy playing with your camera to notice :pac: Thanks for coming out and supporting!

xebec wrote: »
    Saw you standing at the church in Phibsboro on Monday morning, let a roar at you but you were too busy playing with your camera to notice :pac: Thanks for coming out and supporting!

Ah no worries, I'm just annoyed I didn't see anybody. RQ shouted at me as she was going by and I saw her but that was it. And I had all my cheers ready!

Looks like I'll be seeing you, aero and UL in Castleknock hotel on Saturday. Now, I just have to figure out how to get there that early!

I'd moved over to the right side of the road a few hundred metres before the church just so I wouldn't miss you. :D Was your hubby there with you? I got big cheers when I threw my arms in the air and shouted to you. :pac:

Looks like I'll be seeing you, aero and UL in Castleknock hotel on Saturday. Now, I just have to figure out how to get there that early!

I'd moved over to the right side of the road a few hundred metres before the church just so I wouldn't miss you. :D Was your hubby there with you? I got big cheers when I threw my arms in the air and shouted to you. :pac:

No, you won't :pac: I start a new Job (well 2 jobs) this weekend. You could have gotten my place, i rang the legend herself late today. Im doing it in Dungarvan instead.

Jaysus, i feel like sooooome bailer now. Couldn't go to Dublin as i had to keep my money for the workshop, but now, after spending 2 hrs with kids today, i was offered a job for 6 weeks and a part time fitness instructing job in maldron hotel gym on weekends and so can't go to the workshop now. At least its genuine. Although at this stage it would seem that i am actively trying to avoid you RQ. If i just had money i could do whatever i wanted, whenever i wanted. Sigh.

Saying. Nothing. Not sure if I'll take it up myself was kinda looking forward to the lie in.

Ah no worries, I'm just annoyed I didn't see anybody. RQ shouted at me as she was going by and I saw her but that was it. And I had all my cheers ready!

I saw you Rachel, I was on the other side of the road though. I shouted out but not loud enough I guess ;) Thanks for the support :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement