Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Extras/ Disappointments

Options
  • 05-01-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

No DVD Review on boards?

I just bought Terminator Quadrilogy box set. Be warned it contains very few extras for 36euro it is a rip off. I should have just bought the 4 films separately :(.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Elmo wrote: »
    I just bought Terminator Quadrilogy box set. Be warned it contains very few extras for 36euro it is a rip off. I should have just bought the 4 films separately :(.
    Unfortunately, that's the way with all most of those boxsets. There are exceptions (Alien Quadrilogy being an exception, and absolutely fantastic.. and it's going for less than €20 most places).

Hope you paid €36 for the Terminator Quadrilogy on Blu-ray.. not DVD. If it was DVD, you were royally shafted so. I paid £9 for the Trilogy boxset on CDWOW 3 years back!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

basquille wrote: »
    Hope you paid €36 for the Terminator Quadrilogy on Blu-ray.. not DVD. If it was DVD, you were royally shafted so. I paid a tenner sterling for the Trilogy boxset on CDWOW 3 years back!

Don't have a Blue Ray player. :mad: I was looking at the box set saying to myself "no I won't get it, its too expensive I will get it for 10euro in a few weeks time". And then I said "feck it sure I might as well", and at the same time saying to myself "get the other special edition box sets of each film".

Elmo wrote: »
    Don't have a Blue Ray player. :mad: I was looking at the box set going no I won't get it, its too expensive I will get it for 10euro in a few weeks time. And then I said feck it sure I might as well, and at the same time saying to myself get the other special edition box sets of each film.
    Add this forum to your Subscribed Forums sir.. and thank me later! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

there are good extras, and fantastic extras for terminator , you jsut have to find the rights ones ( or live in ameria or bother to figure out or pay getting a region 1 player here)

pissed of can't get commentaries for deadwood in region 2

some mainstream online shops still don't list the extras properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

I like how some DVDs still try to pass off "interactive menus" as an extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

^^ so true, its like saying, "this DVD have a Pause Function"

I got the Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition a few months ago, and it has more extras than you can poke a stick at! http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/223348

Although i dont think its available in Region 2, i spent years looking for it in Ireland, and found it as soon as i got to Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I have yet to see the Lord of The Rings trilogy extended edition pack beaten for extras. Its amazing. Each film has something like 4/5 hours of making of documentaries as well as a huge amount of conceptual work like storyboards, drawings and photos. Took me the bones of a week to get through all of it. (Not including watching the movies) You almost feel like youve been part of the production process after seeing it.

For TV Boxsets's on DVD, I don't think the 'Freaks And Geeks' will be topped!
    Disc One: "Pilot," "Beers & Weirs," "Tricks & Treats"

• Five audio commentaries with actors Linda Cardellini, Jason Segel, John Francis Daley, Martin Starr, Samm Levine, writer J. Elvis Weinstein, director Jake Kasdan, the parents of Daley and Sarah Hagan, Judd Apatow, Paul Feig, and several Freaks and Geeks fans
    • Seven deleted scenes, alternate ending, extended scene, and outtake
    • Audition footage of Cardellini and Segel
    • Four NBC promotional TV spots

Disc Two: "Kim Kelly is My Friend," "Tests & Breasts," "I'm With the Band"

• Six audio commentaries with actor Segel, writers Mike White, Gabe Sachs, and Jeff Judah, directors Lesli Glatter and Ken Kwapis, "Fredricks," "Kowchevski," and "Rosso" (actors commenting in-character), Apatow, Feig, NBC and DreamWorks Television executives, and production and crew members
    • Three outtakes and an alternate cut
    • Audition footage of Daley, Starr, and Levine
    • Behind-the-scenes footage

Disc Three: "Carded & Discarded," "Girlfriends & Boyfriends," "We've Got Spirit"

• Six audio commentaries with actors Cardellini, Daley, Levine, Segel, Dave Allen, and Seth Rogen, writer Patty Lin, Feig, Apatow, and three Freaks and Geeks fans;
    • Ten deleted scenes, two outtakes, alternate ending, two alternate cuts
    • Audition footage of Rogen

Disc Four: "The Diary," "Looks & Books," "Garage Door"

• Six audio commentaries with actors Daley, Starr, Levine, Rogen, Sheppard, Sam McMurray, and Joe Flaherty, writers Lin, Rebecca Kirshner, Gabe Sachs, and Jeff Judah, director Bryan Gordon, Apatow, and Feig
    • Five deleted scenes, two outtakes, four alternate cuts
    • Audition footage of Busy Philipps

Disc Five: "Chokin' & Tokin'," "Dead Dogs & Gym Teachers," "Noshing & Moshing"

• Four audio commentaries with actors Franco, Starr, Hagan, Wilson, Philipps, Claudia Christian, and Miguel Arteta, music director Mike Andrews, writer Bob Nickman, director Kasdan, Apatow, and Feig
    • Four deleted scenes, one outtake, two alternate cuts
    • Blooper reel

Disc Six: "Smooching & Mooching," "The Littlest Things," "Discos & Dragons"

• Four audio commentaries with actors Cardellini, Hagan, Rogen, Daley, Starr, Levine, Sheppard, Segel, Jerry Messing, Natasha Melnick, and Joanna Garcia, writers Kasdan and White, Apatow, and Feig
    • Seven deleted scenes
    • Final blooper reel

Also included in the box set is a 28-page booklet containing a Q&A with Apatow, an essay by Feig, and a collection of "geeky" photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

basquille wrote: »
    For TV Boxsets's on DVD, I don't think the 'Freaks And Geeks' will be topped!

And I got a region free DVD player just for it :D

Agricola wrote: »
    I have yet to see the Lord of The Rings trilogy extended edition pack beaten for extras.

Neither have I, though the Red Dwarf DVDs come in second place for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I tend to skip extras these days - far too many tend to be glorified PR (talking heads describing how fantastic the film / fellow actors / director / craft services are). There are a few I'll dip into - something like Freaks & Geeks definitely has a bit more energy and love than the typical DVD boxset. I'd also be willing to watch making offs of particuarly interesting productions - I'm not sure if the Planet Earth Blu-Ray has making-of documentaries (haven't played the last disc yet) but I'd be fascinated by that (DVD definitely has them). But most of the time I just eject the disc when the film is over - unless there is something genuinely insightful (I'm a sucker for production / film notes by fans, critics etc...).

I used to be a big DVD extra fan, particular audio commentaries (I love the more casual ones, as opposed to a rigid boring director droning on). But as my collection of DVD's / Blu-ray's has grown, I haven't had nearly enough time to play the man features (never mind the extras).

Sky Blue DVD Special Features:
    • Anamorphic Presentation
    • Optimised Bit-rate for Maximised Playback Quality
    • DTS Digital Surround 5.1
    • Dolby 5.1 Digital Surround
    • Dolby 2.0 Stereo
    I only have the single disc edition but I really hope the two-disc version just has "Second Disc" written on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Never really bother with extras....unless there's a blooper reel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

+1 for LOTR Extended Edition extras. I also think the Matrix Collection is suddenly value for money thanks to the extras.

As for TV sets, best is definitely 24 for me, got the complete box set and still haven't worked through all the commentaries.

Worst are Scrubs and Supernatural. Supernatural started off ok and went downhill rapidly. Scrubs was the same except it was slower. By Season 4 there was no gag reel (don't try tell me a show that funny didn't have a gag reel available!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

used to be a big fan of commentaries and making ofs etc but don't bother with them anymore. I might dip into a few deleted scenes or bloopers but really only the short extras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Life's to short for extras.

The only exceptions I make is if it's a film I'm *really* interested in (I mean really , like I'd have to have seen the movie several times) or if someone recommends a particular comm/doc to me.

I have about 700 DVD's/BluRay now and I'd guess I've watched the extras on around 5% of them (and usually most of the ones I actually watch I would find unsatisfactory or pointless .... eg check out the extras on Eternal Sunshine - great movie but the extras are numerous and rubbish - Charlie Kaufman doesn't even feature!). So generally I would not make time or have interest for the "bonus" material.

However, to answer your question, if you want a notable failure check out the "commentary" on the Sex Pistols doc "The Filth and the Fury". The audio is just a recording of the director talking about the movie (note it doesn't sync to what is happening onscreen) and also it just cuts out after about 20 mins. So basically they just slapped some random conversation onto the disk so that they could plaster "with commentary" on the DVD box.

Bottom line, just give me a well presented, proper aspect-ratio, anamorphic featurefilm and you can keep your extras. Waste of time except in the rarest cases :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The only extras I have every bothered to look at is LotR and Band of Brothers. I normally will buy the film only versions and bypass the "Special Editions" unless they have an extended directors cut of the film.

As someone above already said most are just marketing bull with no real value at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

bonerm wrote: »
    eg check out the extras on Eternal Sunshine - great movie but the extras are numerous and rubbish - Charlie Kaufman doesn't even feature!).
    I actually got Eternal Sunshine on DVD the other day and there's an audio commentary with Kaufman and director Michel Gondry. Maybe I got a different DVD to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I actually got Eternal Sunshine on DVD the other day and there's an audio commentary with Kaufman and director Michel Gondry. Maybe I got a different DVD to you.

He's nowhere to be seen on any of the extras tho (comm excluded). Just Gondry droning on endlessly.

At least one thing I learnt from it was who the real genius behind that pairing was .... and who was just winging it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

I was disappointed with The Dark Knight. Not that I expected deleted or alternative scenes (Nolan thinks it undermines his actors), but because it deserved a commentary or some analysis beyond a ten minute look at the stunts and the Joker's theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

This thread just cost me €31. *shakes fist at basquille*

Gauge wrote: »
    This thread just cost me €31. *shakes fist at basquille*
    Good buy sir... gooood buy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Usually the extras are worthless crap with irritating commentaries in which the participants say nothing unless they are on screen, or their 'insights' are ususally comprised of narrating exactly what you're watching, that or the extra's consist of fawning documentaries in which the crew circle jerk each other, but there are a few exceptions.

John Carpenter and Kurt Russell's commentaries on The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China are very entertaining and amiable. Any commentary track with Tarantino is pretty good as he is verbose, full of stories and film literate.

You just can't fault the extras on the latest 4 disk special edition of Blade Runner, Ridley Scott is entertainingly blunt too.

I reckon that despite the amount of fawning done by the perticipants, the extended Lord Of the Rings movies do set a gold standard for how a package of extras should be put together.

For a facinating trip through the underbelly of dodgy film making the commentary track for 'Flesh Gordon' is a must. This commentary has to have been ripped off by P.T. Anderson for the Boogie Nights script as the film's development is the stuff of ledgend! It involved, FBI raids that led to an obsenity trial against the filmmakers which resulted in to the legalization of fellatio as a practice, some of the producers were acting like Anglo Irish board members while the editor was taking so much LSD that he thought the film was evil and so he took it hostage There were drug busts and a lot of now famous hollywood special effects types that demanded their credits erased. And it's all told in a very honest and entertaining fashion by it's director. Brilliant stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Worst one I ever got was Con Air: Extended Edition... Not even a bloody theatrical trailer!!! I was disgusted! Nothing except a bit extra added on to the theatrical version of the movie, but no extras at all!!! Screwed.

I love my DVD extras...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I love the extras on DVDs. There are some cracking documentaries around. The best is a straight fight between the 73 minute The Godfather Family documentary and the 100 minute documentary on the Collectors Edition of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

The commentary on Gladiator is top notch as well.

As for Deleted Scenes you cant beat the Special Edition of This Is Spinal Tap. Over an hour of extra footage, some of it funnier than whats in the finished movie.

My favourite DVD package overall though is Toy Story Collectors Edition - The Ultimate Toy Box (but then again I am an overgrown child!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 offwego

The Monty Python films I have all come loaded with extras, and on 2 discs which are entertaining and my Casablanca DVD has a few extras including a documentary and an original theatre mode where you can see the original trailers/newsreels etc from when it was first released in the cinema.

Advertisement