Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Young Players for 2010

Options
  • 05-01-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Sent home from work because of the snow so have a bit time to kill!!!

I've nicked the idea for this from the RU forum...

who do you think will stand out in the coming season?

My tips are:

Bradford - James Donaldson. I've heard good things; he might find it difficult to break into an already strong back row but this might be his year to get some game time and make a name for himself

Catalans - Setaimata Sa. OK i've cheated as he's already got bags of NRL experience but at 22 he might be one of the top centres in Super League. I don't know much about the other young players in their squad but if Sa can settle in the South of France he may be a huge signing!

Crusaders - Lloyd White & Elliot Kear. Two very promising young players with nothing to fear. White's a good stand off who i've seen play for Wales Students where he was the pick of the bunch. Kear had some great moments in 09 (try saving tackle on scott donald)

Huddersfield- Shaun Lunt. Another 22 year old but he should get plenty of game time with Moore moving on (Drew has come in but they'll be looking for Lunt to do more work). Very quick out of dummy half and looked full of energy last year.

Leeds Rhinos - there are a few here but I think Jay Pitts might be pick of the bunch. He's a very big lad with a bit of SL experience from his days a Wakey.With Bailey being a fairly limited player, Pitts might get a decent run. Not sure if Kyle Amor is spending the season on loan but from seeing him last season he's a great talent - looked good against some tough props in Nat 1 last year.

Saints - some great young players knocking about. Kyle Eastmond will be one to watch having inherited the #7 shirt from Longy (and after a good 4 nations) but I think Jonny Lomax is the pick of the bunch there. Great balance and pace - hopefully his versitility won't work against him

Warrington - Ben Harrison (with experience) is hugely rated by Tony Smith but all eyes will be on Richie Myler after his big money move from Salford. In my opinion the best out-and-out young 7 in SL; Not the athlete Eastmond but is more of a half back than KE and Sam Tomkins is really a stand-off

Wigan - Lee Mossop should get plenty of time with Hock's ban. Mossop is big, technicallly excellent and might well be a future international.

Others who, if they get enough game time, will go well are Jordan Turner and Danny Kirmond. Stefan Ratchford will be great at Salford this year - very skillful.

It's a shame that at 17 and a half Stanley Gene has moved to the Championship - he's got a good 20 years left on his career!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Couple of probable unknowns from Quins:

Jamie O'Callaghan 19 year old Londoner, got a start last year. 6 footer, who is supposed to be quite quick

Ben Jones-Bishop 21 year old off the Leeds production line. Hopeful their loss is our gain.

Its academies like Leeds that keep the whole of Super League going, not just the Rhinos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Jonny Lomax - Saints.

Luke Ambler/Ben Jones Bishop - Leeds (really excited about these guys).

Elliot Kear - Crusaders.

Larne Patrick - Huddersfield.

Tyrone McCarthy - Wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Wildcats have 8 of last years Academy-winning team in this year's first-team squad, so there are plenty of possible break-through players to choose from.

Cain Southernwood at half-back has huge potential but it is probably a season too soon for him. Dale Morton is likely to get some game-time on the wing this season. Centre/second-rower Danny Cowling and loose-forward Chris Annekin are both highly-regarded prospects who could also feature this season.

The one to watch is Aaron Murphy, a 21year-old utility-back who is equally at home at centre, full-back or wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdeT

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    Wildcats have 8 of last years Academy-winning team in this year's first-team squad, so there are plenty of possible break-through players to choose from.

Cain Southernwood at half-back has huge potential but it is probably a season too soon for him. Dale Morton is likely to get some game-time on the wing this season. Centre/second-rower Danny Cowling and loose-forward Chris Annekin are both highly-regarded prospects who could also feature this season.

The one to watch is Aaron Murphy, a 21year-old utility-back who is equally at home at centre, full-back or wing.

Had a think about the young Wakefield players when I put my list together; I think this is probably a season too soon for alot of them (as you mentioned). Hopefully for Wakey, these lads develop and become regular first teamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

toomevara wrote: »

Luke Ambler/Ben Jones Bishop - Leeds (really excited about these guys).

He will be drawn to the bright lights of the Capital and stay at Quins after his year loan!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement