Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP or Winfows 7 for games?

• 05-01-2010 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

I'm doing my usual New Year's format, and this is something I've always wondered about. For playing games, which would be better, XP or 7? Ignoring that some of the newest games refuse to play on XP, from a pure performance standpoint, which would be better? XP generally uses less resources, but 7 has the newest DirectX and better integration of games. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

What games will you be playing?

While some of the newer games refuse to be played on XP, some of the older games refuse to be played on Vista/7. So it really depends on what games you'll be playing.

Saying that, older games like Commander Keen & Quake have worked fine for me via the steam client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Nuts, just noticed I have a typo in the title and I can't change it! :(

The vast majority of stuff I play is through Steam. The newest game I bought in a box was Red Alert 3, and that works fine on both XP and 7. If only for Steam games, would you find much of a performance boost either way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    What games will you be playing?

While some of the newer games refuse to be played on XP, some of the older games refuse to be played on Vista/7. So it really depends on what games you'll be playing.

Saying that, older games like Commander Keen & Quake have worked fine for me via the steam client.

He could get Windows 7 Pro and run XP mode to play the games that dont work on 7

I've recently bought some old games like Quake etc and they work fine for me in Windows 7 under steam. Even BF2 through steam says windows XP 32bit only but runs fine for me under Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.
    Deano12345 wrote: »
    He could get Windows 7 Pro and run XP mode to play the games that dont work on 7

It doesn't work for games afaik.

I have access to XP Pro and 7 Pro. From what I've read, XP Mode doesn't seem to be that suited to games. It seems the general consensus is that from a pure performance standpoint, there's no major difference between the two?

• Advertisement

XP will perform better but with 7 you have the optional DX10+ so I'd go with 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

If you have copies of both, why not dual boot it? When my new laptop arrives (crossing fingers for today :o) I'll be putting a copy of XP on there.

I'll be putting Ubuntu on as well, triple booting isn't something I want to do! I had considered it though.
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    XP will perform better but with 7 you have the optional DX10+ so I'd go with 7.
    Thanks for the advice, I was thinking that too. I'd better get started, I'm putting in a new hard drive too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Well, the new laptop didn't arrive and I'm not able to game, but I'll give my 2c anyway.

I never had any problems with getting old games to work with Vista. Check online and you'll see how others got around problems. Running as Administrator and in XP compatibility mode seem to be the common ones. I even had DOS games running in DOSBox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SeanRyan747

Just wondering why you wouldn't consider Windows 7 as it is basically just a way better version of Vista. I've been using it for four months now and find it excellent although I'm not much of a game player.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you have copies of both, why not dual boot it? When my new laptop arrives (crossing fingers for today :o) I'll be putting a copy of XP on there.
    Just make sure you have a transferable license, remember you can't move XP OEM to another machine EVER
    (also if you upgraded an OEM machine you can move the upgrade off it either)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

just to say that win7 pro users won't be able to play games on XP mode. it turns out that they don't work
    From the Virtual PC Help:
    Windows Virtual PC does not support applications that require 3D graphics, which means that consumer applications such as games are not appropriate for use as virtual applications

Tried running games myself and they don't work. but for old games (ie that won't install on win7 but will on XP) that don't change the registry and if you have no other computer, you could just copy and paste the game folder into any area on the win7 computer from the virtual machine. Done that with a couple of games like halo and unreal tournament and they work perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

syncosised wrote: »
    I'll be putting Ubuntu on as well, triple booting isn't something I want to do! I had considered it though.
    Google it a bit... much simpler than it appears, especially when you'll have the partitioning power of linux under your figertips. I'm triple booting ATM, some cr4p from cupertino (for testing purposes), mint and xp. You are putting in new hd (more space) so there's nothing to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

whats wind 7 like for xbox live.i play on xbolive through shearing the internet connection throught the laptop then run a cable to the xbox.i had vista for awhile while mine was geting fixed and it was a ****er to get it to work yet it was the same thang as xp.looking to change the laptop as its well ****ed so any onw know what window7 is like ???

Advertisement