Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Formation

• 05-01-2010 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭

Completely different type of discussion here but I think it'd be very interesting. What is everyone's favourite formation? What way would they play it? Fluid? Or rigid holding out for 1nil wins?

Me personally, probably with being a goalkeeper, prefers 4-5-1/4-3-3.

*--

*--

That'd be the way they'd line up. I'd encourage the team to play football. The two wingers would be skillful who are capable of beating their man. I'd like the front man to be a strong player who can hold the ball up. Counter attacking would be the way the team would play. Containing the other side and when getting the opportunity breaking fast and quickly with the front 5 players.

Just something different and a discussion about actual football instead of teams. So what's everyone elses? :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Mourinho's tactics at Chelsea. Pretty much what you have described, that's my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Whatever Barcelona play. Dont change a bloody thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

When we played 4-3-3 for the last couple of games in the Premier League under Keegan we played unbelievably well. Wouldn't work too well now really with the squad we've got now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

4 - 4 - F*CKING - 2!!!!!

article-0-033D9D850000044D-151_224x359.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Milan's mad -4-3-2-1 xmass tree thingy is quite attractive with the wingbacks attack a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I like 2-2-1-2-2-1

CH---CH
    RB
    LB
    HM
    ----CM
    CM
    OR
    OL
    CF

Two attacking full backs, NOT wing backs, and two centre halfs, one a ball player with pace, one a bruiser with guile.

you get a holding midfielder and two more attack minded CMs, but the three control the middle of the park

Then play with three forwards, old Outside Lefts and Rights, and a centre forward, ideally they'd all be interchangeable, but one very decent spearhead is also good.

Against weaker teams you'd sacrafice one of the CMs for an in-the-hole

CH---CH
    RB
    LB
    HM

CM
    OR
    ITH
    OL
    CF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great thread this.

Myself dont really have any as it depends on the team etc. The Ac Milan formation mentioned above is eXcellent alright

Remember the good old days of the Diamond 4-4-2 formation. Well gone now from days Man United won champions league in 99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

4-1-2-2-1

A la Arsenal and Barca.

But as Des says above, playing with inside forwards instead of wingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Such elegance Des is often lost in todays rigid game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Des wrote: »
    I like 2-2-1-2-2-1

CH---CH
    RB
    LB
    HM
    ----CM
    CM
    OR
    OL
    CF

Two attacking full backs, NOT wing backs, and two centre halfs, one a ball player with pace, one a bruiser with guile.

you get a holding midfielder and two more attack minded CMs, but the three control the middle of the park

Then play with three forwards, old Outside Lefts and Rights, and a centre forward, ideally they'd all be interchangeable, but one very decent spearhead is also good.

Against weaker teams you'd sacrafice one of the CMs for an in-the-hole

CH---CH
    RB
    LB
    HM

CM
    OR
    ITH
    OL
    CF

Otherwise known as Barcelona. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Frisbee wrote: »
    But as Des says above, playing with inside forwards instead of wingers.
    No, I didn't mention inside forwards :)

I like proper widemen.

I suppose, if you start with a left footer on the left and a right footer on the right, they are outside forwards.

when they change wings, and naturally start to cut in, they then become inside forwards though.

Interesting.
    iregk wrote: »
    Such elegance Des is often lost in todays rigid game!
    I don't think so actually, the type of system that I, and most people, have posted a version of is very fluid, you just need intelligent footballers to fit the system. (my system is basically 4-3-3 if we're totally honest about it)

Unfortunately, most English/Irish footballers are brought up in a world like Xavi6's post above.

Interesting that most people have stuck to 4 defenders.

I think in the future we'll see a reversion to 3.

Or more like 2 centre backs, and three half backs

X
    X

X
    X
    X

Where the two centre backs remain as they are today, and full backs are done away with, and replaced by players like Evra, A. Cole and Glen Johnson, totally attack minded (70% attack 30% defending), providing the width that you lose by playing in-cutting wingers, leaving the CBs and the DMF to do the defending.

I actually think most modern-day managers are already playing a version of this.

How many natural wingers are in the game any more? More and more we are seeing players like Henry, C Ronaldo attacking from deep wide positions.

It negates the need for actual full backs, allowing you to push them further up the pitch.

I think in ten years time, the following will be the default way we see teams posted on TV coverage (today they still try to fit the eleven named players into a 4-4-2 for some reason)

X
    X

X
    X
    X

----X
    X

X
    X

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Reverse Cowgirl!