Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lovely city in the South East?

Options
  • 05-01-2010 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

I couldn't help but notice that if you click on the South East reigon page of boards (and you are presented with a list of fora concerning reigons in the south east), Kilkenny is described as "City in the South East" whereas Waterford's description is further enhanced by the addition of the adjective "Lovely".

Now I don't know about you, but I have been to Waterford and I think using the term 'Lovely' to describe it is really stretching its definition to limits previously thought impossible.

Waterford is not lovely. Waterford looks like Atlas defecated in a quarry.

I hereby demand that the status of Kilkenny's description in the reigonal forum be summarily increased to something above lovely, such as "Positively Delightful" or "Spiffingly Enchanting".

Who's with me? No-one?

I'll get my coat than.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

I second the motion!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

How about "better value Kilkenny home of Dunnes" think of the sponsorship opportunities!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,471 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Er, Excuse Me, are you suggesting Waterford looks like a quarry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

A quarry that a Greek god laid a duke in, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

There's no point opening up the whole "where is better, Waterford or Kilkenny" debate, there can clearly be only one winner and that's not the place where they are selling the Waterford Crystal site.

Ouch....below the belt slightly but meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Wow, that's a real eye opener. I didn't realise how much Waterford looked like a quarry until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Lord Butter Slip feels so strongly in favour of this that his Lordships professor of Lovely has released the following statement:

In order to fully comprehend a given value of "Lovely" one must compare a prospective user of this most tricksy adjective, in this case "Waterford City", to other things that would be considered "Lovely". These things must not have been once considered anything but lovely so therefor they must be uttlerly "Lovely" or from henceforth be known as "Fountains of Lovely". Examples of "Fountains of Lovely" are "Kittens", "Puppies", "Spice" or "Everything Nice". These things have high values of "Lovely": "New-Born Babies" and "The Wind Through The Trees on an Autumn Day".

"Waterford City" may not be considered "Lovely" because if any "Fountains of Lovelly" are moved across the bridge from Ferrybank into "Waterford City" they are instantly incinerated by the high "Negative Lovely Field" around the City. All the above "Fountains of Lovely" can be found in Kilkenny City.

Because of the above Kilkenny City can be considered "Lovely" while "Waterford City" cannot, but as the power of adjective assignment resides not with Lord Butter Slip or his Professor of Lovely Kilkenny must have an even better adjective such Fantastic or Spiffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Lads you're opening up yet another pointless Kilkenny vs Waterford debate....I can see our neighbours now coming on here saying KK is technically not even a city under the 2001 Local Govt Act....blah blah blah. And who could blame them after some of the swipes here

mfitzy wrote: »
    Lads you're opening up yet another pointless Kilkenny vs Waterford debate....I can see our neighbours now coming on here saying KK is technically not even a city under the 2001 Local Govt Act....blah blah blah. And who could blame them after some of the swipes here

There is already one of those in AH here. But it has kind of petered out now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I don't care about city status, or any other derogratory remarks the Waterfordians dream up for Kilkenny, because quite frankly I don't care much for Kilkenny either.

The nub of this proposal is that Waterford is not, nor has it ever been 'Lovely'.

FFS it's like someone managed to get the human emotion 'depression' and turn it into a town.

• Advertisement

fabbydabby wrote: »
    The nub of this proposal is that Waterford is not, nor has it ever been 'Lovely'.

Who changes these things? Because it should just be a matter asking them to add a suitable adjective to kilkenny to make it equally or more so lovely.

An Update:
    Limerick City Historic mid-western city.
    Cork City The capital of the south.
    Galway City Fast growing city in the west.
    All the above are the places that have something other than the usual description, Dublin City has nothing written under it. Getting Kilkenny Changed in the light of this might be a good bit easier. But what to Change it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,471 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lovliest?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

How about Hen/Stag City? Everyone knows Waterford City isn't astetically pleasing so putting the word lovely before it isn't going to change anything, although west Waterford is beautiful, The Vee, Powers the Pot and Mahon Falls are all lovely climbs. If you wanted something under there I'd go with something traditional like the Marble City, the Confederate Capital or celebrating 400 years as a city.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I fail to see how this is related to Kilkenny in the slightest. Its probably suited for Feedback but the theme of this topic is more about bitching and whining about your neighbors.

This was changed at the last April Fools day - long story short, the descriptions were never fully fixed. It should not take from the content inside in the forum. If you really feel that strongly about the addition of one simple (accurate ;)) word - then go to Feedback. This is not a Feedback forum.

Ill close this now and remind people about the forum charter. Any objections on this, send me a PM :)

Topic Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement