Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 courses in Cork

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I had 28 or 29 points there one day and beat my 3 playing partners comfortably :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

You would have loved the irish close there a few years ago so licksy..........id 74 1st rd to lie 4th and it felt like a 59..........the shortest club i hit to any par 4 was 5iron......i followed with a solid 83 to qualify 10th!!!! Std scratch was 78 80..........The best way to describe how hard it was is one of my playing partners was 1 under after 7.....and walked in after 11........imagine the carnage between 8-11!!! We played from the tips both days it was a complete joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Just found this old thread. Would anyone like to offer their top 10 now? Some of the newer courses are a couple years more mature and taking shape

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

big_drive wrote: »
    Just found this old thread. Would anyone like to offer their top 10 now? Some of the newer courses are a couple years more mature and taking shape

What are your thoughts on the matter? :)

1. Fota
    2. Cork
    3. Old Head
    4. Castlemartyr
    5. Muskerry
    6. Bandon
    7. Blarney
    8. Lee Valley
    9. Mallow
    10. Monkstown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

1. Fota
    2. Cork
    3. Old Head
    4. Castlemartyr
    5. Muskerry
    6. Bandon
    7. Blarney
    8. Lee Valley
    9. Mallow
    10. Monkstown

Id agree with 90% of that, except for Blarney, just have a personal hatrid of the place. Would probably put Douglas in at 9 and bump Lee Valley and Mallow up 1.

Playing Bandon for first time saturday so will reserve judgement on there until then!

Only back playing after 6 years so I can't really give a top 10 but rather a top 8. Can't remember some courses that I played years ago :)

1. Fota (Deerpark)
    2. Castlemarthyr
    3. Cork Golf Club
    4. Mallow
    5. Mitchelstown
    6. Youghal
    7. Macroom
    8. Frankfield

I don't think my top 4 would change even if I'd played the likes of Douglas, Muskerry & Monkstown.
    7 & 8 would defo not make my Top 10 if I'd played any other courses!! :)

Reganovski wrote: »
    8. Frankfield

You saved yourself on that last sentence. Frankfield! :eek: Frankfield wouldnt make my top 10 if there were 11 courses in Cork, it's truly awful!

You should try play Muskerry if you can, some unique holes there...

blockic wrote: »
    You saved yourself on that last sentence. Frankfield! :eek: Frankfield wouldnt make my top 10 if there were 11 courses in Cork, it's truly awful!

Lol....they're all the courses that I've played in Cork this year so I said better include it...plus I'm a member there!! :)

Gonna try and play Muskerry for the Junior Scratch Cup. Played it years ago but can't remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

My Top 9, based on courses played in Cork:
    1. Cork Golf Club
    2. Castlemartyr
    3. Charleville
    4. Blarney(Home Course)
    5. Waterrock
    6. Mahon
    7. Mitchelstown(Home Town)
    8. Macroom
    9. Fermoy
    Really want to play Fota obviously and The Old Head but the opportunity has not arisen yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Fota looked fantastic on the europro tour coverage on sky during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,277 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Played Mitchelstown last week and have to say I really enjoyed it.

15euro Green Fees is very reasonable and got friendly reception.

4th, 9th and 10th stood out for me.

Will go back again.

I've never played mitchelstown , it's on the list of places to play.

Played Bandon during the week in their open singles, was in beautiful condition

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭elberry

Fota, Old Head, Cork, Kinsale, Castlemartyr, Bantry, Bandon, Douglas, Lee Valley, Monkstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

blockic wrote: »
    8. Frankfield

Was down in Cork last weekend, is Frankfield the one beside the Kinsale Road Roundabout?
    It nearly caused me to crash as I drove up to the roundabout...

I couldn't believe it when I spotted a golfer taking a shot from what looked like a cliff face :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 suddyb4

fota island is top quality best course in ireland let alone cork

Well I wouldn't say it's best in Ireland, not even in Munster actually but probably best in Cork alright.

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Was down in Cork last weekend, is Frankfield the one beside the Kinsale Road Roundabout?
    It nearly caused me to crash as I drove up to the roundabout...

I couldn't believe it when I spotted a golfer taking a shot from what looked like a cliff face :)

It sure is. Great craic there :) As everyone says you need one leg shorted than the other to play there.
    I practiced there for the first time last week. I played 1, 2, 1, 2 etc cos theyre both at the top of the hill and are relatively flat compare to rest of the course.

I played 1, 2, 1, 2 etc cos theyre both at the top of the hill and are relatively flat compare to rest of the course.

Compared to the rest of the course is right, but compared to most other courses in cork they are still pretty tough, played frankfield once and was dead after i reached the first green! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

I've never played mitchelstown , it's on the list of places to play.

Played Bandon during the week in their open singles, was in beautiful condition

How'd you find it ?
    Those holes across the road have ruined my card everytime. (9-15)
    Tough course but well maintained

• Advertisement

alxmorgan wrote: »
    How'd you find it ?
    Those holes across the road have ruined my card everytime. (9-15)
    Tough course but well maintained

Really liked it, the greens were beautiful there on the day. Going to try get down there again in next couple weeks. That's a tough stretch alright across the road

suddyb4 wrote: »
    fota island is top quality best course in ireland let alone cork

Killeens, Killarney is far superior

elberry wrote: »
    Killeens, Killarney is far superior

And Tralee is better than both of them!

And Tralee is better than both of them!

Perhaps, but I was comparing parkland with parkland. Waterville and Ballybunion would also rate higher than Fota. Even Mahoneys Point would rate higher imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads . Thinking of going to play Fota with Cork friends.
    But a day trip.
    We can only get out on 9 on championship course and the other 9 hole course.

Lads . What is other 9 like . Is it worth trip ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

Its not as nice as the original 18 but I think its still enjoyable. Three par 5's.
    Fairly open, it will take time to mature. I like no 1, 7, 8. The other holes are 'grand'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

What peepee says. Having never played the good 18 it should make no difference, ignorance is bliss kinda thing.

Still worth the trip imo. Is the first a par 4 or 5 of the open course?. Which 9 are they giving ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

They are looking for 45 quid.

And I'll end up going back to play other 9 I guess.

Would Cork Golf Club be the best option. Return to Fota another time.

I hear Cork is well worth trip ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Haven't played Cork GC yet but I've only heard good things.
    Castlemartyr is a great course IMO, probably around the 30e range. About half an hour or so from the city though.

Lee valey is also worth a trek at a similar rate about 20mins the other side of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

I'd drive past Fota to play Cork.Every hole is different, some class par 5s. Just to see Seve's drive is worth it alone imo. Hard to get out there though. There is one member on here, she'd advise best.

Advertisement