Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Half-marathon & 10k race - Ballybunion 3rd April

• 05-01-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭

Happy New Year to all boardsies.

The town elders of Ballybunion have organised a half-marathon and a 10k race (run or walk it!) for Saturday April 3rd this year, in order to stimulate a bit of economy and provide an early start point for races / training during the year.

The half-marathon will be chip timed and the whole day promises to be very profesional. The event is being organised in association with Listowel Crusaders (local running club) and Orbis (Mobile sight saving operations for 3rd world countries).

See http://www.runballybunion.com for details

So, if you are interested in running / walking / jogging this event, you can register at the above address.

Also, if you want to get sponsorship and collect some money for a very worthy cause, may I suggest Ballybunion Sea & Cliff Rescue, who is
    one of the recommended charities of this event.

If you know of anyone who visits Ballybunion during the year, for the beach / golf / Monday-Night Madness etc, then would you please ask them to collect some sponsorship. BSCR will be taking delivery of a
    new boat, est. €160,000, and will be the first & only non-RNLI Rescue service with this boat. It may just be the boat you & your friends hope never to see! But if you do visit the town, or anywhere within a few miles, you can be very proud to have helped someone in need, maybe even a friend, somewhere in the future.

Also, there is a trophy for the fastest team (of 4) that raises the most money!

pm me if you want sponsorship cards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MushGSXR

Registered for this yesterday, should be good, tis a very scenic route. Need to get out now and lose bout a stone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 briankear

see you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Gunnersonny

Not heard of this race before. Looks interesting and could be a good one to do before Cork. What sort of numbers do the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

So what did people think of this yesterday?? I could not find any other threads so bringing this one back to life...

Overall a nice race (if perhaps maybe a bit of a money racket), I could not see exactly where the entry fee went towards.

What did other people think?

Anybody see the results? There was a couple of world records in the half marathon (both male and female)
    or else people that entered the half only ran the 10KM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MushGSXR

well 50 quid, and not even a bottle of water at the end. Im the fool I suppose.

• Advertisement

Well I got a bottle of water but seen a sign for 7euro for soup and sandwich. I've got these just for crossing the finishing line in other less expensive events (where the money was for charity)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

good run. hard hilly course on a wild enough day. thankfully it stayed dry.
    road surface was good, marshalling was excellent, roads were closed and water stations did exactly what they said on the tin!
    as for cost, yes it was expensive. there was a t-shirt, medal, water at the end and a goody bag for the drive home. not aware if the race was for charity but assume that as its in its first year they probably over-estimated the costs rather than run the risk of ending up in debt.
    apparently 1200 people signed up to run between 10k and half which is great to see.
    would i do it again? yes.
    would i prefer to see them keep the tshirt and medal if it reduced the price? absolutely.
    good, well organised event. i'd give it 7/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭jfh

would agree with previous poster, organisation was excellent, lot of water stops, didn't require that much water myself. course was tough but last 2 miles are downhill. good quality t shirt and could do without the medal for lower entry fee. over all would do it again

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

Did the 10K which was great value at €20 with chip timing, Tshirt and goodie bag. Thought it was a very well organised race which included a free running seminar on the Friday. Guest speakers included Irish Olympian 'Jamie Costin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Did the 10K which was great value at €20 with chip timing, Tshirt and goodie bag. Thought it was a very well organised race which included a free running seminar on the Friday. Guest speakers included Irish Olympian 'Jamie Costin'

How did you get on WoundedKnee? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

Got on better than expected and had a very enjoyable race (when it was over). It started with a very tough climb which on the return made for a very fast finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bearster

I really enjoyed this race. It was my first half marathon. It was well organised and plenty of water stations with those funsize ballygowan bottles which were great. It was a tough course but if its to easy where is the challange?. Would definitely do it again. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Are there any photos of the event online?

With regards the previous posts, at first I though it was expensive but the Limerick Half is 60euro!!! I thought the event was good tbh, well organised, water stations were well serviced, etc, Id do it again...

I agree with all the above in regards to the water stations - very well serviced could not ask for better but as I mentioned in my original post it just felt that any of the "extras" were just that and cost extra.

I mailed the organisers in regard to photos and they told me that they are working on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

On the website, the photos at the top of the page, of each tab, are photos from the event...you might be lucky enough to be in one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

seanynova wrote: »
    Are there any photos of the event online?

With regards the previous posts, at first I though it was expensive but the Limerick Half is 60euro!!! I thought the event was good tbh, well organised, water stations were well serviced, etc, Id do it again...

It is €60 now but it was €45 and may have been €35 before that. Prices go up the closer the race comes, except for the 10k which remains the same price. I think I paid €50 for the full marathon just after Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jjreidy

got a link from Ballybunion thread to some photos from the race on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvfPmsD9X14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jjreidy

and a few more photos on here...

http://www.listowel365.com/photogroup.asp?grpid=94

Advertisement