Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting after water damage

• 05-01-2010 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

We had a roof leak in a upstairs bedroom during the heavy rains due to a flat roof failure above it - the water soaked through wall paper, which has now been stripped, The walls are finally dry and ready for painting. However, a small section of paster has bubbled/separated from the wall (it was kept in place by the wall paper) - the bulge is visible and there is a crack where the plaster could easily be chipped away. There is no sign of mold on the walls, but there is some on the skirting board, which we plan to remove before painting.

I have two questions before I begin painting this room:

1- Do I need to chip away the old plaster in the bulging area and use bonding to re-fill or can I just paint over the bulge and hope the paint keeps it all together (it doesn't have to be a perfect job as this area will be hidden behind bookshelves when we're through)

2- Is there some special undercoat I should use to treat the plaster walls because of past leak or will ordinary undercoat/primer be sufficient?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    CG

Advertisement