Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boost Wireless Signal

• 05-01-2010 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone could help me.

I have eircom wireless bb, at the minute. I have a cottage which works off the same ESB supply as my house - which is currently rented. The person living there is unable to connect to the wireles broadband I have. What would be the best solution to boost the signal so as they can pick up on it? The max distance that it is from me is about 20meters...

Kindest regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 juice79

belgrove wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone could help me.

I have eircom wireless bb, at the minute. I have a cottage which works off the same ESB supply as my house - which is currently rented. The person living there is unable to connect to the wireles broadband I have. What would be the best solution to boost the signal so as they can pick up on it? The max distance that it is from me is about 20meters...

Kindest regards

Is the person in the cottage not able to detect your wireless network or are they able to detect the network but not able to connect?

20 metres doesn't seem too far for a fairly modern wireless router and laptop.

If you have a laptop are you able to detect your own wireless network if you are in the cottage?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 juice79

If both houses are using the same electricity supply then a powerline adapter may be an option if you can't get the wireless to work.

Otherwise a Wireless N router offers a far greater range than a standard Wireless G model.

Wireless N Routers on Amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

+1 on the powerline adapters, those things are far superior to wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 belgrove

Hi!

No I have been able to connect the laptop here in my house, but as son as he goes into the cottage the signal drops out!

I have read about the Network extender, Ethernet over power and signal booster... Not sure if these would work though..

Also have a belkin n router, but taking it back as I have had so many problems trying to set it up... its just not worth the hassle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

In the last five minutes I've plugged these beauties in - no software, just plug and play...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Value-Mbps-Home-Double/dp/B000TV7FJ4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262720157&sr=8-4

• Advertisement
Advertisement