Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thermostats for boilers

• 05-01-2010 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Is there anyway to add a thermostat to a boiler so that it turns on when the ambient temperature goes below a set temp? I have seen this system as standard on houses in the USA and think it would be a far more efficient method than what I have in my house now, where I set the heat to go on just before I get home automatically regardless of what the ambient temp. is.

It seems like if a component like this hasn't already been invented, it should be!

Thanks in advance for any insight.

CG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes there are. I ditched the stupid manual timer years ago and replaced it with a digital thermostat/timer unit. It easily paid for itself in saved fuel inside a year.

Mine is programmable and very flexible. You can set various time periods in a day and the air temperature you want it to maintain for each period. You can set, say, Mon-Fri. as a group and different settings for Sat-Sun, also as a group, or you can set each day individually.

There are even models with remote transmitters so you can put the sensor unit in an area where you want the temperature monitored and the receiver just replaces the existing timer.

With my setup, the heating is essentially on all year round, it just doesn't come on in summer as it is usually too warm, except the last couple of - bleep - summers where the days have been so awful the system has come on :eek:

I have a woodburning stove. The thermostat takes into account the heat added to the house by the stove so the more free wood I burn, the less heating oil gets used.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Most programmable thermostats would have this function.
    I would usually set it for 12 deg, you don't want your house falling below this temp while you are away on winter holidays.

Advertisement