Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A rise in Temperatures?

Options
  • 05-01-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

I checked Met Check.com for the weather for Cork for the next 14 days or so and according to it there will be a rise in the temperatures to around 8 or 9 degrees from around the 12th of January on. I wonder does this mean the frost and snow will go and the bad weather will go?

Got the info from here if anyone interested:
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/14days.asp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

As far as I am aware the weather data on metcheck is completely computer generated and not to be relied on. I don't think anyone can reliably forecast what is going to happen in 7 days time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I don't think we could have frost and snow it temps go up to that level mary55.
    Met Eireann's forecast doesn't show any uplift, even in the outlook. Unless we are going into another ice age, it has to end sometime in Jan! I for one am a little tired of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Metcheck is fine for reading the warnings and some fun stuff like snowrisk but it should not be used as a serious indicator of the weather.
    There is no signs of major changes in regards to the temperature for the foreseeable future, no change to the freezing conditions upto the 18th according to the UK met office or to the 15th according to Met Eireann.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I just wish the ice on the paths would melt so I could leave the house without risking breaking my neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I wouldn't call Metcheck the most reliable source. As said, it is entirely computer generated and sometimes past 7 days, gives crazy weather, like thunderstorms and 200 mph winds - I saw that once!

However, the law of averages suggests their must be a break at some point in the cold weather, but I say it is unlikely for the next 7 days for sure, and probably 10-12 more days...but the next few days will be largely dry for the bulk of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Metcheck long range is useless, gave waterford countless snow days which never came near materialising. We've even been at 100% in the snow risk and still got zilch!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gerard Fleming was just on the radio and said that as far as they(met eireann) could see - which is another seven days - the cold weather would remain. They don't know after that which way it will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

mary55 wrote: »
    I checked Met Check.com for the weather for Cork for the next 14 days or so and according to it there will be a rise in the temperatures to around 8 or 9 degrees from around the 12th of January on. I wonder does this mean the frost and snow will go and the bad weather will go?

Got the info from here if anyone interested:
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/14days.asp

Surely you mean the frost and snow will go and we'll get bad weather because once this weather goes we'll more than likely return to the usual rubbishy cold wind and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭mary55

Well i mean even the rain is better then this at least you can get out of the house.

amazing the difference a day makes;) there are now increasing signs the weather will start to change by the early days of next week. i just hope that it's a brief interruption before another cold incursion but i fear it will be mild for for many weeks to come after. still, we hopefully will get the two day northerly airflow at some point in February. Atfer all in most winters February tends to be our best month for snowfall due to the lower sea surface temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭mary55

where did u hear it was going to get mild nacho libre?

mary55 wrote: »
    where did u hear it was going to get mild nacho libre?

the models are predicting relatively milder weather. no sign of temperatures getting back up to double figures just yet but it should be too mild for snow at lower levels by next Wednesday or Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

hopefully it will be mild enough to thaw my frozen water pipes - no water since xmas eve:(

Advertisement