Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 Installation Queries

• 05-01-2010 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm hoping that some of the more IT proficient members of Boards will help me with some questions in relation to an install of Windows 7 I completed.

By way of background, I bought a new laptop in April and at the time never activated the product key on Windows and therefore didn't have full access to the likes of Word/Excel. When I updated to Windows 7, I only completed an in place upgrade as opposed to a full install. Now when I try to use Word, I'm asked for the Product Key and when I enter the Product Key I received with Windows 7 it doesn't work. What I would therefore like to understand is as follows:

1. If I completed a full install would this solve the problem I have with the Product Key and activation of Word/Excel?
    2. With a full install, would I loose the additional programmes I currently have on my laptop such as Spybot/PP Poker? If this is the case, is the easiest option simply to save the .exe files for these programmes to an external hard drive? In addition, would I loose the likes of movies/music I currently have saved to the C Drive.
    3. Can anyone recommend a free email programme that I can install as Windows mail has now gone?

Thanks in advance,
    Conor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PAJO23

Conor,
    Most new laptops or PCs only have a 30 day trial version of Office installed (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.). To activate these programs you need to purchase a new Activation/Product key.

The Windows 7 product key is totally separate and unrelated to the Office suite of programs, so using it is not an option.

It sounds like that is your problem, unless you have specifically bought Microsoft Office, then you won't be able to use the programs after the 30 days - even if you've since upgraded to Windows 7.

Hope that solves it! In the mean time I'd recommend using OpenOffice, a free alternative to Microsoft Office that is available online. Or for email specifically, you can get the free Thunderbird program from Mozila.

Pajo23

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

conjon wrote: »
    1. If I completed a full install would this solve the problem I have with the Product Key and activation of Word/Excel?
    2. With a full install, would I loose the additional programmes I currently have on my laptop such as Spybot/PP Poker? If this is the case, is the easiest option simply to save the .exe files for these programmes to an external hard drive? In addition, would I loose the likes of movies/music I currently have saved to the C Drive.
    3. Can anyone recommend a free email programme that I can install as Windows mail has now gone?

Word/Excel should come with their own serial. Your Windows 7 serial will not work with Word or Excel.

(1) No. You need to get the correct serial for Word/Excel. These programs are not installed alongside Windows 7.

(2) Unless you format your hard drive during the install you shouldnt lose any files, however some programs may not work unless they are re-installed.

(3) http://download.live.com/wlmail

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Pajo23/Matagari - thanks very much to you both for your replies.

The error I made was confusing Windows 7 with Office. Paj, I think you're right and it probably only included a 30 day trial. I will have a route around this evening to see if I can see anything that came with the laptop.

Mods - please feel free to close this thread.

Thanks again
    Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

conjon wrote: »
    Pajo23/Matagari - thanks very much to you both for your replies.

The error I made was confusing Windows 7 with Office. Paj, I think you're right and it probably only included a 30 day trial. I will have a route around this evening to see if I can see anything that came with the laptop.

Mods - please feel free to close this thread.

Thanks again
    Conor.

If your version of MS Office was only a trial then you might want to do as Pajo suggested and check out Open Office. Its an MS Office alternative which is free and should support all your word/excel files fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

Mataguri wrote: »
    check out Open Office. Its an MS Office alternative which is free and should support all your word/excel files fine.

Yeah... Open Office sucks in general in my opinion... Give it a shot though if your interested.

If you need Office though, try out the Office 2010 beta which you can get at http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx. It will work till October 2010.

After that you can buy Office 2010 or if you want use Office 2010 Starter Edition which will be free, though be it limited to Word, Excel and Web app's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Thanks guys for the responses. I was going to buy Office 07 so thanks for the heads up on the newer version coming out this year.

Conor.

Advertisement