Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Snow... 1947??

Options
  • 05-01-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Can any of you tell me when the infamous 'Big Snow' was... my guess is 1947??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

donegalboy wrote: »
    Can any of you tell me when the infamous 'Big Snow' was... my guess is 1947??

Correct Donegal boy, it was at its height on the thirteenth of march 1947, roads and hedges completley covered and was at window level of houses on Buncranas main street..looking at a picture of it recently:)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

i remember my grandfather talking about this telling me about digging out his sheep ha ha crazy stuff , i think there was a big freeze then in 1968 too, not sure was it 47 or 68 that the timber was cut on the island in lough eske and takin back to shore by horse and cart

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

Nice one... of course you weren't around to see it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

i remember my grandfather talking about this telling me about digging out his sheep ha ha crazy stuff , i think there was a big freeze then in 1968 too, not sure was it 47 or 68 that the timber was cut on the island in lough eske and takin back to shore by horse and cart

DL im sure the next big freeze was in 63, I just remember it as a lad of four at the time.:)

knew it was 60 something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Used to hear my grandfather talk about it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

One in 82 or something as well, was looking at pics of it last week & it was up to window level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

Was talking to my uncle last week about the 1947 snow, he was about 10 at the time. He said it was the only St Patrick's Day in memory where nobody had shamrocks, as in those days you had to go into the fields and pick your own. He said the snow was so deep that you couldn't tell the difference between the fields and the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

You can actually see footage of the Big Snow in the Donegal film archives at the County Museum in Letterkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Ah but they probably had good summers then!

Even in the 80's recession the summers was good, now we have global warming, just seems to have moved the ice caps to Donegal rather than melting them!

I was under the impression we'd have spanish weather and the Spaniards would have African weather, its upside down!

Wonder what the Summers were like in the 40's - 60's in Donegal. they've definately gotten worse in the last 20 years

• Advertisement

Global warming = Money Maker

there is no Global warming people its a natural phenomena the same thing happened thousands or years ago its the earths way of wiping the sheet clean of you like a new start all nice and clean, the world is slowly getting ready for another ice age and it would of happened with or with out pollution anyway, we might not see another ice age our children might not see it but its on its way and it can happen fast once it starts one ice age was documented on happening in under one year , who knows this might even be the start of it , this whole Global warming thing is another way to tax the life out of people its just a scam , same as the Y2k bug that was some laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

this whole Global warming thing is another way to tax the life out of people its just a scam , same as the Y2k bug that was some laugh

completely agree with this, no one wants to actually do anything so slapping a tax on it is the cowards ( politicians) way of dealing with a problem rather than addressing the need with free insulation, smart meters, micro power generation (mini windmills to you ) in rural areas this would be a great way of reducing power demand but big business isnt involved so it wont happen.
    and i beleive climate change (noticed its not global warming anymore) IS man-made i just dont think that anything we do (apart from killing half the planets human poulation) is worth a damn.

i would disagree with the y2k thing as the company i worked for spent 5 years updating systems (so did most big organisations ) which is why you saw little effect a lot money was spent ensuring financial systems didnt fail ( i think we all see what can happen there)

Advertisement