Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

35mm film: where to go?

• 05-01-2010 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi all,

Having only very limited experience with photography, virtually all of which is with a digital compact, I've resurrected my dad's Nikon FM2 in an effort to learn more about exposure, focus, aperture etc.
    Just wondering what kind of prices 35mm film goes for and how much it costs to get it developed, as well as suggestions of shops to go to.
    Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'd recommend the cheap route starting off. Others will be able to give better advice on the more expensive and scientific route but here's my advice:
    Pick up a few roll of free fuji film from a local Unicare pharmacy. It may be a little out of date and is only available in iso200, which are both grand. Take loads of snaps of averything in a number of modes...clock up 5 rolls of pics with half remembered settings and when done take them to the Fuji counter in the Unicare pharmacy in Artane castle shopping centre (it's about 15 minutes drive from town). Here ask for John and mention you're a member of Boards.ie and want to avail of the 5 rolls for 15 quid offer. This offer includes: development of negs and negs scanned to a CD. That's about 180 images on one CD. You do not get prints with this offer. With the CD you can know bring home to the comfort of you own home and crop and chop to your hearts content and work on an image. Then pop said image onto a memory stick and take it off to be printed in the same way as you usually would with digitial. Bob's your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Gozo

Are unicare still doing the free film offer?

Gozo wrote: »
    Are unicare still doing the free film offer?

Whilst I haven't seen the boxes of 200 rolls going in a while they do still keep single rolls in the baskets in the shops that I've been in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

still doing free film in the nutgrove branch anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

There's currently 20% off in Unicare so it cost's €12 at the moment. They still have a few rolls in the Artane branch.

• Advertisement

FX Meister wrote: »
    There's currently 20% off in Unicare so it cost's €12 at the moment. They still have a few rolls in the Artane branch.

FX you use John too yeah? He's only charging 12? I'm dropping in some in the morning so that'd be handy. Might get some prints done too as it's usually 10 quid for 4 A4 prints.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Gozo

ok, thanks, I must pop in again. I was in the one in donnybrook before and the girl working there didn't know what i was talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

humberklog wrote: »
    FX you use John too yeah? He's only charging 12? I'm dropping in some in the morning so that'd be handy. Might get some prints done too as it's usually 10 quid for 4 A4 prints.

Yeah I always go to John , left some in before xmas and got them back with a 20% discount from someone else working there. Thought they made a mistake but I got some more back from John yesterday with the same discount. Not sure how long it runs for though.

Advertisement