Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

website

Options
  • 05-01-2010 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

hi guys could ye please tell me how much roughly i should be paying for an average size website, nothing too OTT... thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

puddie77 wrote: »
    hi guys could ye please tell me how much roughly i should be paying for an average size website, nothing too OTT... thanks.

That is the vaguest question you can ask.

More details please - the technologies used, the actual size of the website, the purpose of the website, dynamic or static pages etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puddie77

sorry touchinvirus...love the bluntness,i have been working in construction for last 15 years so this is really is new to me. Im thinking just a basic advertising site, ABOUT,CONTACTS,GALLERY, DESCRIPTION OF PRODUCTS...no money will be changing hands on the site, i hope that makes a little more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Will you need to update the site on a regular basis?
    How often will the products change?
    Do you have a logo and colour scheme?

puddie77 wrote: »
    sorry touchinvirus...love the bluntness,i have been working in construction for last 15 years so this is really is new to me. Im thinking just a basic advertising site, ABOUT,CONTACTS,GALLERY, DESCRIPTION OF PRODUCTS...no money will be changing hands on the site, i hope that makes a little more sense.

Sorry to appear blunt, but to draw an analogy to your own work it's just like me coming and asking you how much it'd cost to build an average wall. You've no idea how big or small this wall will be, what blocks I'd like to use, what cement, would I want it plastered etc. etc.

Would you like this site to be a once-off, or would you constantly update the site with new pictures, update the contacts section, description, add new products? All of these affect the cost. Also, without a colour scheme or logo you're talking more money for a brand identity creation :)

appreciate that virus love the professionalism...it would have to updated twice a year at very most and no i have no co lour scheme or logo design as yet, but we have some sketches down on paper just need someone to get it on the computer for us,

• Advertisement

How many products do you think you would be listing? Would they have many images each?

This could be the difference between having a page with 5 - 10 items for sale with a paragraph of text and an image, and having to have a few pages with specific product categories, search capability, sorting, filtering etc.

I've no idea what it'd cost for a brand identity, it really depends on who you go with. I'd recommend an actual graphic designer from a graphics design company for that part.

I've done a site with limited dynamic content (events instead of products) for €250 but that's "friend" price. A similar site would cost €500 if I were to do it :)

That said, products need categories, sorting, filtering, which all adds to complexity and cost.

hi eoin just about 8 products i picture each...straight forward enough i think, just the basics we,re after a link to our mail address.etc,

Well, that should just be another standard content page then.

I'd say that the cost of logo design can vary wildly. A friend of mine who is a full time graphic designer would normally start at ~ €300 and it goes up from there. Not including that cost, I'd say you would get a decent site with a basic CMS (Content Management System so you can update the content yourself) for around €1,000 or so.

No doubt you'll get much lower and higher quotes than that, but I think that's a reasonable enough estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

Hi puddie i work in graphic and web design and for a site like you've said, it sounds relatively basic in terms of content so i would think you might be looking at around 500 + for a very basic site and maybe up to 1000 if you want something with a little more finesse (some flash banners, more interaction, etc.).

If you have a very large products section, then it could prove to be more complicated and expensive for you.

Hope this helps somewhat.

• Advertisement

it does jimzy and thanks alot for all the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

+1 on the outline prices listed above (nice to see some realism being posted here re prices for a change).

Basic site that someone else updates for you once a year (for a small fee) :

Approx €500 - €600

A more advanced site with sub-categories, etc will cost more, but doesn't sound like it's required.

CMS so that you can update it yourself : Approx €500 extra

hi liam thanks for reply...are you in the business liam???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bob1163

I design low cost sites starting at €250 and you could have that up and running in about a week
    Regards Muiris

Any examples bob.

bob1163 wrote: »
    I design low cost sites starting at €250 and you could have that up and running in about a week
    Regards Muiris

OP if you're looking for a website to be built then might I suggest adverts.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

bob1163 wrote: »
    Regards Muiris
    Please read the charter about solicating work before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

Puddie, you're right, you need to see some examples of work someone has done before. You could pay for a quick and simple site and then have to get it rebuilt only a short time later. Costing you more money and pain!

I would recommend you take your time with it and get it right first time.
    Drawing up a very clear plan for your designer with good clear content is a great start, and if you have any examples of websites you aspire to be like or like the look of then do show these to your designer as a benchmark reference.

I website may seem like a simple tool, but when done well, with a little bit of work and attention to detail it could be invaluable to you.

Like one of the guys said adverts.ie is a good place to start, best of luck with it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 paulof1985

i work for a family owned company in south dublin with about 5 employees and we got a new website made for us about a year or two ago that looks very good. i can give you their details and let you look at our site if you want to pm me? it cost us 300 euro for the lot and if we want to get a content management system with that, that allows us to change pictures and text ourselves we can opt to buy that package at any time for 200 euro. at the time other people were trying to charge us between 3 and 6 grand for the exact same package. so make sure you shop around and haggle aswell. anyway pm me if you want any more info or the company name.

paulof1985 wrote: »
    i work for a family owned company in south dublin with about 5 employees and we got a new website made for us about a year or two ago that looks very good. i can give you their details and let you look at our site if you want to pm me? it cost us 300 euro for the lot and if we want to get a content management system with that, that allows us to change pictures and text ourselves we can opt to buy that package at any time for 200 euro. at the time other people were trying to charge us between 3 and 6 grand for the exact same package. so make sure you shop around and haggle aswell. anyway pm me if you want any more info or the company name.

Speaking generally, there are basic websites and premium websites. A basic website can be knocked out production line fashion for small money. Look at the price charged and factor in cost of domain, hosting, costs to arrive at the developers cut. A site done for 300 was probably cranked out in a few hours, given that the developer will also have to spend time on the sales, admin and after-sales service.

A premium site could take weeks/months for a multi-person team to develop, with a pricetag to match, but it may pay huge dividends in terms of sales. There are people operating at many levels in between the two extremes. The guy charging twice or three times the price is likely providing a very different product, and the cheapest option may not do your business any favours.

• Advertisement

Great point...Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

paulof1985 wrote: »

That pricing sounds ridiculous, no way, no how you will get a site that looks very good with a cms for 500. I read a funny joke thing a while back where a guy was asking a graphic designer to do a logo and that it would only take a few hours of his 'spare time', what people forget is that just because he can do it easily, doesnt mean he should do it for free or for a low price, years of expertise and experience makes this 'easy' for us. Anyway sorry about the rant but please do link to the site if you can as im very intrigued

I would imagine that the price is for a rebranded template running on something like CushyCMS.

Advertisement