Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewing machine course?

• 05-01-2010 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

I know there are dress making courses aroudn Dublin, but does anyone know of anywhere that does a machine course. Sometimes in the dressmaking class, you don't learn enough about using your machine and all it's functions
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭time42play

Is it a brand that has dealers in the area? I know people with Brothers who had lessons in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ravel

I went to an excellent class with a woman called Joan in Santry, I found her ad on Gumtree.ie, her number is 0872811954. You can learn to do whatever you like-some people wanted to mainly learn to make clothing etc and others wanted to do cushions and blinds, she covers everything. She also takes plenty of time to get you to learn how to look after your machine and shows you what it can do. Definitely recommended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Maret

I am not looking for the courses, but I am looking for a MACHINE. I need a sewing machine(s), ideally if someone has an old one that's no longer used, I'd like get that for free. Please, help me, does any one of you interested in sewing know someone that has a machine to give away or sell with a low price? I have looked through the dublinwaste webpage, but no with that so for. Other webpages too. 0 results. I put an ad on Gumtree too.. Please, help me :)
    Thanks a million.
    I am seriously interested in any kinds of sewing machines as I am planning to start making different stuff from leather and fabric.. (so the bigger the better, cause tiny machine will never sew through leather..)

Thanks for reading.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

Maret wrote: »
    I am not looking for the courses, but I am looking for a MACHINE. I need a sewing machine(s), ideally if someone has an old one that's no longer used, I'd like get that for free. Please, help me, does any one of you interested in sewing know someone that has a machine to give away or sell with a low price? I have looked through the dublinwaste webpage, but no with that so for. Other webpages too. 0 results. I put an ad on Gumtree too.. Please, help me :)
    Thanks a million.
    I am seriously interested in any kinds of sewing machines as I am planning to start making different stuff from leather and fabric.. (so the bigger the better, cause tiny machine will never sew through leather..)

Thanks for reading.
    Cheers

ok I dont have a machine to give you but I did get my sewing machine in ALDI.. I have it two years now and its still running like a dream. I did change the needle on it to a stronger brand but thats only because I didn't like the nib on the one already on the machine. it was €60 at the time and it has never given me any trouble...

sew and sew in fox's bow in Limerick sell second hand machines but I dont know their pricing. I'd say keep an eye out in ALDI, it worked for me!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Crafty Alley

Hi does anyone know or can recommend a good sewing machine course in Cork, Kerry or Limerick. I have bought a new machine and would love to learn how use it properly. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hill1

Hi Maret, I also have a machine that I bought in aldi and it is fine, You really need to do a bit of research, if you want to sew leather on it, as a normal domestic sewing machine will not sew leather, you might be able to sew leatherette with a special needle on a very good machine ( paff, brenia) but not on a cheap machine, as it will really mess up the tension. over the years one of the best machines I ever had was one of the old foot singers on the table and I got a motor put on. These machines will sew anything, they only do a straight stitch and you need to get an attachment to make button holes. but If you have the space they are a great machine. hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ceticspirit

Hi does anyone know or can recommend a good sewing machine course in Cork, Kerry or Limerick. I have bought a new machine and would love to learn how use it properly. Thanks.

hi there,
    did you get info about courses for sewing as i also look for a course but in kerry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I know there are evening classes starting in MAcroom Co. Cork at Bishop McEGan college. I think there on for 8 weeks on THursdays. I know you have to bring your own machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭briscotti

I used youtube and an old home economics book to figure out how to work my machine and it worked a treat - I can now use it to make whatever I need to and it was easy enough, just needed some practice!
    If you don't want to spend a fortune on classes there is a sewing circle starting up in Dublin city centre at the end of September. It is being hosted in Lucy's Lounge vintage shop (I think!). It is informal and is for hanging out with people who enjoy sewing, sharing ideas, projects and techniques

I think there will be a couple of machines there to use, and a bit of craic to be had in learning / working on projects together. As far as I know it is 5 euro per meeting and it is starting in a couple of weeks -you can google Sewing Circle Lucy's Lounge to find more information, I know there is a facebook page so maybe that will be of some help! But in the meantime I recommend youtube :) There are loads of tutorials and sewing machines are pretty standard in function, they just vary in how they look!
    Good luck :)

Advertisement