Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leon Cupra R

• 05-01-2010 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Anyone know about these - the older model looks a lot nicer imo.

Friend has been looking for one of these for ages even though he says he knows nothing about cars! he cannot find one in this country, ideally from a garage with warranty. one on carzone but its not the 225 bhp beauty http://www.carzone.ie/search/SEAT/Leon/180bhp-c/200932194834610/advert?channel=CARS

and 8 grand for a 2004 and its not the full 225 PS which he wants.

So much cheaper in the UK but when adding the VRT based on a crazy OMSP means its not so attractive.
    this is a nice example but a little steep and with VRT I think he might loose a lot of money when moving on. what do people think?
    http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1422097.htm

Any opinions on this car, or know someone selling one here on irish plates? the full 225 version?
    I know the gti mkIV is considered not great, is the cupra above based on the golf GTI mkIV?
    anyone have one of these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I like these cars but not best value for money in my opinion, there are a few nicer, faster, more powerful or more fun in the price range.

Anyway, I doubt there will be many in ROI but up north in Colraine and theres the "full fat" 225bhp R in Banbridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

The newer model looks soooo much nice than older I think...these and the Octavia VRS are really just cheaper variations of the Golf GTi at the end of the day arent they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭batperson

I like these cars but not best value for money in my opinion, there are a few nicer, faster, more powerful or more fun in the price range.

Any examples please? keeping it reliable and not too much over 2 litres for tax reasons! In the UK I think they are good value, its really the OMSP and VRT that makes it poor value

batperson wrote: »
    Any examples please? keeping it reliable and not too much over 2 litres for tax reasons! In the UK I think they are good value, its really the OMSP and VRT that makes it poor value

Nicer (entirely my subjective opinion)

- Volvo C30 (the 2.5 l one, most people hate it but I love it!)
    - MKIV GTI
    - Focus ST

Faster/More Powerful

- Astra VXR/OPC
    - Focus ST/ MKI RS
    - Mazda 3 MPS

More Fun

- Mini Cooper S
    - Clio Cups 172, 182, 197
    - Honda Civic Type R (early 2000's)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Did you know you can easily remap the 2.0TFSI to over 300bhp? So I'd go for a Octavia vRS, Golf GTI to Seat Leon Cupra.

• Advertisement

si_guru wrote: »
    Did you know you can easily remap the 2.0TFSI to over 300bhp?

*Sigh*:rolleyes:

Yea I know, the tuning potential of VAG cars is unreal, I know a guy who has a golf TDI and after one remap he has a billion horsepower and infinity torques and can mince ferrarris!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Did you know you can easily remap the 2.0TFSI to over 300bhp? So I'd go for a Octavia vRS, Golf GTI to Seat Leon Cupra.

No you cant,240 is more realistic

Remapping is very relaible.. I had a Vectra 1.9tdi with 210bhp... 20000 miles no bother and over 50 mpg.

jackncoke, read this http://www.revotechnik.com/products/softwareProduct.aspx?pvID=746

btw I am over 40... and don't own a Saxo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Remapping is very relaible.. I had a Vectra 1.9tdi with 210bhp... 20000 miles no bother and over 50 mpg.

jackncoke, read this http://www.revotechnik.com/products/softwareProduct.aspx?pvID=746

btw I am over 40... and don't own a Saxo!

You do know that Octavia VRS and GTI are 200hp as standard?

jackncoke wrote: »

Yup. GTI anniversary is 240 I think... or is 255?? Anyway it's all possible. Persoanlly I like the Octavia.. had a mk1 vRS and a Fabis vRS.. didn't know about remapping back then. I bet a 180hp Fabia diesel brings on a smile thoough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Yup. GTI anniversary is 240 I think... or is 255?? Anyway it's all possible. Persoanlly I like the Octavia.. had a mk1 vRS and a Fabis vRS.. didn't know about remapping back then. I bet a 180hp Fabia diesel brings on a smile thoough.

Mark V GTI ED30 had an extra 30bhp

Here's a related question... has anyone driven a 1.4TSI? in particlular the 170bhp version... I see the new Ibiza Cupra and Fabia vRS use that.

jackncoke wrote: »

Just checked, new Golf is 210 or 270 bhp from VW.. now that surpirsed me too!

Anyway it's all possible.

On the stock internals of a Cupra R, I would think this is not possible.

The tuning companies exagerate the claims of potential gains because thats what owners want to hear. They have a vested interest to do this because they make money.

Now I dont have access to you tube at the mo (in work)

But Im sure that if its true, someone would find it worthy enough to post a video showing

-stock internals of the car
    -reputable independant rolling road
    -a remapped Cupra R running 300 bhp!

I'd love to see it, but until then, I think believing these claims is niave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 AdyDurn

Hmm, a bit of a thread hijack going on there... let's get back, eh?

I think if you like the looks of this one you can't really go wrong, my Brother-in-law's father has one and he really enjoys it, aparently quite comfortable, not stiff for stiffness' sake like some hot's, decent hauling capacity and a lot of fun.

I wouldn't go for it myself, but PURELY because I am not a great fan of the styling, and I can think of better looking (for my taste) hatchbacks. I have driven a normal Leon and it felt nice and solid, I can't think why they might get bad press myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

On the stock internals of a Cupra R, I would think this is not possible.

Now I dont have access to you tube at the mo (in work)

But Im sure that if its true, someone would find it worthy enough to post a video showing

-stock internals of the car
    -reputable independant rolling road
    -a remapped Cupra R running 300 bhp!

I'd love to see it, but until then, I think believing these claims is niave!

The 1.8t is good for 350bhp and 350lb ft on standard internals, so easily up to the job of a remap or slightly bigger turbo.

The 225 bhp cupra R will remap to about 265bhp.

I have a non R cupra myself, have it nearly 4 years now. I would class it as a comfortable cruiser rather then a backroad blaster like a clio 172.
    It's a heavy car. As standard (180bhp) they are not very quick. A remap transforms the car and makes it much nicer to drive.

Mine is far from standard now and handles really well, it's also slightly more powerful ;)

Pic shortly after I got it.
    leon_rearMedium.jpg

Neilw wrote: »
    The 1.8t is good for 350bhp and 350lb ft on standard internals, so easily up to the job of a remap or slightly bigger turbo.

The 225 bhp cupra R will remap to about 265bhp.

I have a non R cupra myself, have it nearly 4 years now. I would class it as a comfortable cruiser rather then a backroad blaster like a clio 172.
    It's a heavy car. As standard (180bhp) they are not very quick. A remap transforms the car and makes it much nicer to drive.

Mine is far from standard now and handles really well, it's also slightly more powerful ;)

Pic shortly after I got it.
    leon_rearMedium.jpg

I like that.. understated and tidy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

I like that.. understated and tidy.

Thats why I bought one, rare enough over here but don't draw much attention at the same time :)

And that secret boot handle that must make you smirk everytime you see a Passat or Jetta (that it was copied to).

Advertisement