Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram question

Options
  • 05-01-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to get an upgrade for the PC at work, the most taxing thing it does is photoshop and dealing with images up to 1gb in size. I don't want to do anything other than put win7 64bit on it to take advantage of the extra ram.

The motherboard is an ECS GeForce6100PM-M2 (it was an emergency buy). It makes two contradictionary statements when it comes to ram though. In one sentnce it says it can take up to 16gb of ram but just below that it says
    Due to the DRAM maximum size is 2GB at present, the memory maximum size we have tested is 4GB

I'm assuming two 4gb modules would work but I'm not to sure.

It currently has 2x2gb sticks in it and it only has two memory slots. It's running a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You're going to hit me for saying this... the first problem is that you have an ECS mobo. The second is that you're manipulating 1GB image files with an old Athlon of all things :o I'd say that having "only" 4GB RAM is the least of your problems :(

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Everyone says ECS mobo are crap... I've heard that, unless your overclocking the motherboard is fine, or so i was told...

What socket is that motherboard? If it's AM2+ or AM3 you sould upgrade to at least a newer Athlon, if youcl can go with a Intel PC for Photoshop as there better for Photoshop (Aldi are doing a there cheap quad core for 400 quid ?)

As for ram, All ECS motherboards with 2 slots say they support 16GB (I've never seen a 8GB stick?) you can get two 4GB's and you will get your total to 8GB, although I don't think that the Ram is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Solitaire wrote: »
    You're going to hit me for saying this... the first problem is that you have an ECS mobo.
    I know, I know but trying to get money for a new computer would be like trying to get blood out of a stone.
    Mister Man wrote: »
    As for ram, All ECS motherboards with 2 slots say they support 16GB (I've never seen a 8GB stick?) you can get two 4GB's and you will get your total to 8GB, although I don't think that the Ram is the problem
    When the hell did ram get so expensive?!! I went looking for 4gb modules and their rare enough, the ram that's in my home pc now has doubled in price. It almost looks like it would be cheaper to get a new computer than try to get two 4gb modules.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

ScumLord wrote: »
    When the hell did ram get so expensive?!! I went looking for 4gb modules and their rare enough, the ram that's in my home pc now has doubled in price. It almost looks like it would be cheaper to get a new computer than try to get two 4gb modules.

What's this ****ing obsession people have with 8GB RAM?! :mad:

Unless you're in i7-Land if something (2D) needs more guitars its because you need a better CPU, not an utterly unreasonable amount of RAM and a slow-ass CPU! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Unless you're in i7-Land if something (2D) needs more guitars its because you need a better CPU, not an utterly unreasonable amount of RAM and a slow-ass CPU! :p

4GB Is pleny for most people...I can't seem to max my laptop's 4GB out no matter what!! :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Bigger is better. :D

If I have to go the new CPU route it's a completely new build which would suit me down to the ground. :cool: It's just not a good time for spending though. I'm half tempted to start a new build thread, There's allot of them but this would at least be a slightly different beast. No gaming at all, perhaps a bit of cad work and the ability to deal with very large photoshop files, only getting larger with time. Other than that it basically needs to be able to code and any old sock can do that these days. Oh, and video editing, it'll basically be the media department for the company.

Advertisement