Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal Residences

Options
  • 05-01-2010 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows what's going on with Grand Canal Residences? They're the apartments beside the new five star hotel on Grand Canal Square. There doesn't seem to have been any building activity there for a while and they're just sitting idle.

Thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maybe they jsut aren't selling and the developer can't afford to proceed given the recession, the banking crisis and the downturn in construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

I'd say you're right Victor. It's a shame because I was/am interested in buying there. Took a walk around there a few months ago and it nearly looks finished. Wonder if anyone knows who the developer is? I couldn't find it anywhere on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

The hotel itself was ready at the end of '08 and it hasn't opened yet and looks in no mood to do so. I wouldn't hold your breath for the apartments but maybe the opening of the Theatre (March) will help give the area a push ?

The hotel was ready that early!? I would imagine that if the hotel was to open soon that the adjoining apartments would also be finished. Shame, it's a really nice part of town. They may be sitting there idle for a year or two yet :mad: Does anyone know the name of the developer?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭japjap

Is this the same hotel (see email below)? If so it's open...

From: Sarah Keating [mailto:SarahKeating@GrandCanalhotel.com]
    Subject: Grand Canal Hotel 'Stranded' Offer

Stranded or stuck in Dublin this evening? The Grand Canal Hotel are happy to offer you a special one off 'Stranded' offer for today only.

€59.00

Including
    Executive Room *subject to availability
    Free Car Parking
    Complimentary Wi-Fi
    Free In-Room Movies
    Full Irish Breakfast

This rate is subject to availability and based on single occupancy. Double occupancy €69.00.

Please contact Reservations on 01 646 1000 and quote 'Stranded'!

Sarah Keating
    Corporate Sales Executive |Grand Canal Hotel
    phone +353 (0)1 646 1000 | direct +353 (0)1 230 9631 | mobile + 353 (0)87 7441474 | fax +353 (0)1 646 1001
    Grand Canal Hotel | Grand Canal Street | Dublin 4 | Ireland
    sarahkeating@grandcanalhotel.com | www.grandcanalhotel.com

• Advertisement

No, don't think that's it. The new one is a five star and that's a three star.

Anyone know who the developer is? I tried finding out but my search turned up nothing :mad:

Bump!

Anyone with any more info?

Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Did you try checking the planning permission? Ringing the DDDA?

I would suspect that that hotel will open when the national conference centre does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There was a legal dispute between the developer and the contractor over payment. Don't think it was resolved.

• Advertisement

Anyone have any updates? Would this be the type of property taken over by NAMA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Which ones Thunderbolt?

Gallery Quay(which I doubt) or the ones across the road from the new theatre(Misery Hill) or the ones across from the Ely pub fronting onto Forbes st(nearly the same street)?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭xabi_a

My understanding was that those apartments (which are beside the unopened 5-star hotel) were to be some sort of corporate let apartments. They don't seem to be standard apartments anyway because they have no proper balconies.

The whole development (hotel and associated apartments) came to a halt about a year ago, I'm assuming simply because of the downturn. It looks like they're pretty much built.

Hopefully when the National Convention Centre opens that will kick things off again in the area.

gurramok - Grand Canal Residences (which the post is about LOL) :D

Thanks xabi_a. I don't think they're corporate apartments though as they were supposed to go on the Affordable Housing list before the downturn. And the design is a bit odd also, no balconies! Just panes of protective glass to stop you from falling out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

gurramok - Grand Canal Residences (which the post is about LOL) :D

I didn't spot the name you say on that building you are talking about, maybe i'll have a gander next time i'm over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yukus

Hi,

They put those apartments on the market a few months back, but I've heard they can't sell those apartments and buyers are asking for their deposit back.

Yukus

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pictionary

Does anyone know if the water damage has been fixed in these apartments? A friend of one of my work colleagues had paid a deposit but there was a problem with the roof of the building leaking and causing damage to the apartments. I went to see the apartments for rent attached to the new hotel and there was leaking problems in the basement too. Is anyone living there could let me know what the situation is as I would like to rent in that building?

Advertisement