Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connolly Station to Heuston (tomorrow Wed)

Options
  • 05-01-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

How long do I need to allow for it? I am assuming the Dart is the best option? Are the roads dreadful - ruling out a taxi?

Any advice for a country bumpkin appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Current main road conditions are fine. Connolly to Heuston would be by Luas (or bus/taxi) and should take about 15/20 minutes.

As above Luas is best option. There is no dart service between connolly and heuston. The 90 bus will also get you there. Give yourself half an hour and then you won't be stressing. The longest part of the luas trip is from connolly to jervis st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

Also your best bet is to walk to the Busaras stop (I think only every second luas goes to Connolly now - alternates with The Point) - Literally down the escalators outside and walk for 1 min dead ahead. Its across the road on the right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Thanks so much for the advice.

Would I be better to jump in a taxi if the roads are okay? (Or I'll end up wandering round The Point knowing me :o). Any rough idea how much it would cost?

My daughter is stranded in Cork, so it will be Sligo to Cork via Dublin ... and back again... :( . About 18 hours on trains I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Taxi about 7 euro, the LUAS 1.60 single, 2.90 return.
    You can't really make an error getting the LUAS the wrong way, unless you try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

I would guess about €10ish depending on traffic

You'll get a taxi quite easy. If you're not familiar with it then don't worry too much about getting to the Bus Aras stop as the luas is very frequent anyway. Just follow the signs for the Luas, it's practically part of the train station, you will be fine, and then Heuston stop is called Heuston so wouldn't worry too much about getting lost. A taxi shouldn't be too costly but depends on time of day etc. Whichever option you decide, you will come out the same door of Connolly, the taxi rank is right next to the luas platform.

When getting your train ticket ask that the Luas to Heuston be included, it will probably be free if you do it this way.

Sounds like you've a long day ahead of you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Would I be better to jump in a taxi if the roads are okay? (Or I'll end up wandering round The Point knowing me :o). Any rough idea how much it would cost?

You can get a taxi if you want but the Luas is reasonably quick, cheaper than a taxi and fairly foolproof. If you want to be absolutely sure, get any Luas from the platform outside Connolly - they all go via Heuston from there so you can't go wrong. You might have to wait a few minutes because they're not that frequent from there. Just make sure you buy your ticket before you get on the tram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Hey.

I did you up a little map (not great put gives you an idea). The red line is the luas line. You will come out of connelly at the start of it (by the big red dot). Follow the blue line across the road (1 min walk max) to the luas stop and get on the first Luas that comes (going away from connelly and the road you just crossed). Then get off at Hueston (15 mins / 6 stops . approx).

Safe trip

Oh thanks so much for all your help! :)

I'm a bit confused though, if I come out of Connolly Sation and go down the escalator, is that Luas line not the one to get on? Funkyjebus and Whoopsies directions differ (I think)?

I didn't expect a posh MAP :p or the idiot proof instructions from Whoopsie! Many thanks all of you.

(I'm not even thinking about the Cork bit yet :o)

• Advertisement

When you get off your train in connolly. Walk straight to the end of the plaform where you'll see big automatic glass doors, go through those and you'll pass the shop/pub etc, keep going straight through the next set of doors and you'll see the taxi rank and the luas stop down the escalator, then I think what danndublin was saying was that if you keep walking straight then you'll get to busaras where all luas's stop. Wherever you get it from, you're going in the direction of Tallaght.

- sorry, more idiot proof instructions! Don't take offence, it's just there are loads of ways out of the station!

No offence taken whatsoever! Idiot proof is essential I'm afraid!

I'm not terribly stuck for time so will get my train ticket to Heuston and get the Luas from Connolly.

Do they have wifi on the Luas - if I get lost I'll be posting looking for help! :D

Much appreciated, if any of you are coming to Sligo in the future I'll return the favour. :)

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Hey.

I did you up a little map (not great put gives you an idea). The red line is the luas line. You will come out of connelly at the start of it (by the big red dot). Follow the blue line across the road (1 min walk max) to the luas stop and get on the first Luas that comes (going away from connelly and the road you just crossed). Then get off at Hueston (15 mins / 6 stops . approx).

Safe trip

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that, very kind. :)

ETA Connolly 15 mins.

I am afraid I have to inform you there are a gang of teenage girls who sound like Jedward about to descend on your city. I have had the pleasure of listening to them for LIKE three LIKE hours LIKE <nervous twitch>, so now it is time to hand them over to you.

Good luck people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the luas is only running from abbey street, it isnt really a far walk from connolly though

the luas is only running from abbey street, it isnt really a far walk from connolly though

It looks as if the train to sligo has been canceled (according to Newstalk)

Hope you're ok dude!

Alright people, I'm on the Cork train,two hours late. No electricity or heating for the first hour, emergency lighting. Not actually going anywhere...but on the train is progress indeed. Is FREEZING though.

Frozen points apparently. There's a young studently type beside me, I asked him to go out with sachets of salt but he was strangely reluctant...:rolleyes: kids eh..?

Went "all local" and got the Luas and ended up stuck in it like a sardine, while they dealt with a crash ahead of us for an hour. Took my chances and pressed the emergency button to get off (€2000 fine) - at that stage they could fight me for it. Best man wins. By the time I got through the train to go to the emergency exit it started again so I stayed on. I have had to point out manners to many a person trampling over elderly people. I am not liked much in the big smoke at the mo'.

I AM NEVER LEAVING HOME AGAIN.

(except for tomorrow, when I have to do it all again..)

EDIT: Also got stuck sitting beside the Irish version of Nick Griffin. He's gone now. I hope. Watch out Limerick.

Alright people, I'm on the Cork train,two hours late. No electricity or heating for the first hour, emergency lighting. Not actually going anywhere...but on the train is progress indeed. Is FREEZING though.

Janey mackers. You poor thing :(

Janey mackers. You poor thing :(

You know when you get a bit manic, and think "F*ck it, it can't get much worse?" I'm there. :)

Thanks for the help you mental people who live in that crazy city. :p

See ya'll tomorrow. When I have to it all again WITH A CHILD!

/weeps

You know when you get a bit manic, and think "F*ck it, it can't get much worse?" I'm there. :)

/weeps

I think I'd have had a nervous breakdown by now. Hope you've got warm cozy clothes on :(
    God I feel so bad for you. Can you get a cup of tea and all on the train?

Would you maybe wait until Friday to go back to Sligo? the worst of the weather may have passed by then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Aussie Sean

/weeps

Its crazy alright but I love it,love it,love it!!! Complete strangers helping each other negotiate the sheet of glass that was O Connell Bridge footpath this evening,the two lunatics trying to cycle on it and the good old Dublin story telling on the LUAS tonight. Can we tell a story without swearing in this city???:D

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

/weeps
    Oh god, just saw this thread now. Hope you made it home OK, TMB. Dublin's not that bad, you were just unfortunate enough to have to travel during the big snow. I enjoyed reading your posts directly from the Luas, I think you have a future as a travel writer!

Advertisement