Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to look for a car van?

• 05-01-2010 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but was wondering if anyone could help me out,

I was wondering where would be the best place to look at a car van 1.6 or under, something along the lines of a ford focus or toyota corolla.
    would i be best buying north or south?

Cheers for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ciaranmc wrote: »
    would i be best buying north or south?

Cheers for your help

South - you'll struggle to find one up North or in the UK as they weren't sold there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ciaranmc

cheers that would save me some time. do you know any garages or anything that might have some? been looking on the internet and cant find to much.

Cheers for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Agreed... but you do see Astra vans and BT had a few Ford Ka and Fiesta vans..

There is no demand for them in the UK at as they have no tax advantage over a car. That said, they will be cheap as demand is low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

try driving.ie or donedeal.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ciaranmc wrote: »
    cheers that would save me some time. do you know any garages or anything that might have some? been looking on the internet and cant find to much.

Cheers for the help

http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/search/results?nParam=200532#nParam=200532%2B200590%2B4294911142%2B4294835896%2B4294910713%2B4294910858%2B4294911009%2B4294910960%2B4294824553%2B4294911096%2B4294697756&sortby=Make|0&channel=CARS&currency=EUROS&searchResultsView=THUMBNAIL&maxrows=10

Few showing there.

What year and what budget are you looking for?

No point really in keeping to a small engine as road tax is €288 on them all. Economy won't be that much greater on a 1.6 than a 2.2.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/search/results?nParam=200532#nParam=200532%2B200590%2B4294911142%2B4294835896%2B4294910713%2B4294910858%2B4294911009%2B4294910960%2B4294824553%2B4294911096%2B4294697756&sortby=Make|0&channel=CARS&currency=EUROS&searchResultsView=THUMBNAIL&maxrows=10

Few showing there.

What year and what budget are you looking for?

No point really in keeping to a small engine as road tax is €288 on them all. Economy won't be that much greater on a 1.6 than a 2.2.

My budget is 5000 but might be able to swing to 6000 at a push.
    i have a 1.9 Bmw and have never use the back seats i normally put them down to make more boot room, hence why going for the car van.
    really appreciate the help don't really know much about car vans so just trying to get some thoughts of people who may know some more then myself

Thanks for everyones help here.
    I was wondering while i am looking at all the obvious places should i be concentrating at private sellers, garages, or auctions like merlin car auctions?

Thanks in advance
    Ciaran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭zziplex

Avoid auctions mostly companys who ent looking after vans before they go bust........few on donedeal and carzone now. I got a 1.4 tdci fiesta van 2006 80k with doe for €4000 3 weeks ago great van.

zziplex wrote: »
    Avoid auctions mostly companys who ent looking after vans before they go bust........few on donedeal and carzone now. I got a 1.4 tdci fiesta van 2006 80k with doe for €4000 3 weeks ago great van.

Cheers, are they good? i just put my own car up for sale but have most of the money in cash so just got to keep looking out. This place is really handy for getting peoples advice. did you buy it of a dealer or private?

Private but brought mechanic with me during sale.

Got it off donedeal. there is some on there atm mostly 04 reg which I would not pay anymore than say €3600 for. sterling rate is not the best now to shop up north. carzone has some also.

For eg if its a fiesta van your after shop around take time to call into main ford dealers. A main dealer will not hold onto stuff like this they "ship" them off to small backstreat dealers just tell salesmen what your looking for they will help you! I done this before.

• Advertisement

Private but brought mechanic with me during sale.

Got it off donedeal. there is some on there atm mostly 04 reg which I would not pay anymore than say €3600 for. sterling rate is not the best now to shop up north. carzone has some also.

For eg if its a fiesta van your after shop around take time to call into main ford dealers. A main dealer will not hold onto stuff like this they "ship" them off to small backstreat dealers just tell salesmen what your looking for they will help you! I done this before.

yeah good idea ill check out my local ford dealer tomorrow, might try for a focus or corolla so drop into the dealers tomorrow and see. Is there any makes or models you would say to stay away from for what ever reasons? first time for getting anything like this, its my second car so should be fun looking.

Yea drop into toyota,ford dealers or whatever your interested in they probally wont have anything that appeals to you but they will know where to find what your after.

I love my fiesta van its fantastic on diesel. focus 1.6 tdci same engine. Toyota very reliable and will hold value better than fords. I personally dont like renault,citroen,peugeot(french) they all do car vans also. vw golf van is also a good bet will hold value well but parts are dearer than most.

Yea drop into toyota,ford dealers or whatever your interested in they probally wont have anything that appeals to you but they will know where to find what your after.

I love my fiesta van its fantastic on diesel. focus 1.6 tdci same engine. Toyota very reliable and will hold value better than fords. I personally dont like renault,citroen,peugeot(french) they all do car vans also. vw golf van is also a good bet will hold value well but parts are dearer than most.

Do you know if the new Law that tinted windows wont pass the NCT will be the same for the DOE? ( i could be wrong on the new law so feel free to step in).
    Ill let you know how i get on tomorrow. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Here is a decent van if it is in your price range

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/1029077

I have a 1.4 Corolla van myself but the Focus vans are just as good.

Here is a decent van if it is in your price range

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/1029077

Cheers for that, that would be at the really higher end of my budget but if i got my car sold then it might be do able.

Good question i was thinking the same.....I wanted to get the back window tinted on my van just so you cant see my tools in the boot as clearly.

Is this allowed.......:confused:

Maybe its a question for the legal section or something?

Hey

I found a Volkswagen Golf Van. 1.9 TDI, 2000, 160,000miles with DOE until May, Tax until February for just under €2500 is this good value for a van like this?

Any thoughts welcome
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

A bit steep considering the mileage and the fact that it is ten years old but they are a decent yoke and if it looks well minded well then you could do a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Good question i was thinking the same.....I wanted to get the back window tinted on my van just so you cant see my tools in the boot as clearly.

Is this allowed.......:confused:

Yes. The new rule on max. 35% tint (65% light) is for the windscreen, driver and passenger door. All the rear windows can be tinted more.

You can tint it or you can even blank it. A lot of van's have no window in the boot-lid, backdoor.

/M

• Advertisement

A bit steep considering the mileage and the fact that it is ten years old but they are a decent yoke and if it looks well minded well then you could do a lot worse.

Cheers for that, would i be better off holding off and trying to sell my car at the moment and get something like this? 2005 TOYOTA COROLLA VAN 1.4 D4D , DOE TEST & TAXED TILL 06/10

Thanks for your input
    Ciaran

Marlow wrote: »
    Yes. The new rule on max. 35% tint (65% light) is for the windscreen, driver and passenger door. All the rear windows can be tinted more.

You can tint it or you can even blank it. A lot of van's have no window in the boot-lid, backdoor.

/M

Cheers for this was wondering about it.

Hi again,

That golf has too many miles imo there is cleaner on the market. Think about how long you will be keeping your new purchase be it 1 year or three and anual milage you will be doing. also re-sale value.

yeah thats true if it was a 2002 model what milage should i be looking for? did you see that Marlow replied about the tint on the windows. (Yes. The new rule on max. 35% tint (65% light) is for the windscreen, driver and passenger door. All the rear windows can be tinted more.

You can tint it or you can even blank it. A lot of van's have no window in the boot-lid, backdoor.)

Marlow wrote: »

/M

My car van colour is white and was also thinking of getting the boot window tinted but done in white if you get my drift. dont know the proper name for it but seen it done its a tidy job. what it costs im yet to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Just be aware when buying car/vans. I was going to get one when I bought my car, almost 2 years ago now. I looked at countless 00/01 golf vans and EVERY one of them was as rough as a bears h*le! Most were clearly owned by farmers/builders/tradesmen and had spent their lives being knocked around farms and building sites. I could not find a clean one for love nor money so I ended up just buying a car!

Also, if you do find a clean one it was most likely a reps company car which means high mileage and abuse. Make sure there is a service history and timing belts etc have been changed!

So be aware that it may take a while to find a nice one!

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Just be aware when buying car/vans. I was going to get one when I bought my car, almost 2 years ago now. I looked at countless 00/01 golf vans and EVERY one of them was as rough as a bears h*le! Most were clearly owned by farmers/builders/tradesmen and had spent their lives being knocked around farms and building sites. I could not find a clean one for love nor money so I ended up just buying a car!

Also, if you do find a clean one it was most likely a reps company car which means high mileage and abuse. Make sure there is a service history and timing belts etc have been changed!

So be aware that it may take a while to find a nice one!

Hey i will take that into account thanks for your input. I want to take my time and really try find the best i can Hope to have it for awhile

Hey

Could i get your thoughts and views on this? V.W. Golf 1.9Tdi 2004 94000miles ( http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf-Van/1.9TDI-V/200938195259769/advert?channel=CARS )

Cheers

Advertisement