Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber Frame Kits - Value?

Options
  • 05-01-2010 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

I was going to do the legwork on this one myself anyway but I thought someone might have done it already...

I'm still pricing up between direct labour and contractor at the min, looking at a timber frame kit some very competitive quotes.

Is there any scope for money saving on buying the insulation and plasterboard elsewhere or does the lower VAT rate on supply and erect packages wipe out any savings that might be made through getting independent erectors and buying elsewhere?

Or do I misunderstand the VAT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

pricing timber frames myself, there are good deals to be had, never thought about getting my own insulation and slabs, how did you get on with the comparisons ?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

I went the TF route and must say I'm happy with the results. I got my kit (supplied and erected) last year - most kits were around the 65k mark for a 3400 sqft house. This includes insulation, etc.
    In the end I went with a more complete kit, which comes pre-slabbed, pre insualted, and with the air-tight membrane in the walls, and all windows and doors too. Bar the roof this frame is closed within 5-6 days of being on site - not bad at all ;)

I'm in the tipp area if anyone wants to take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ecoangel

Wow tails_naf,
    Sounds like you have some very competitive quotes. Could you PM me the details of the supplier of the company you went with please,
    A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Prodigalson

Sorry all I'm very late posting.
    tails_naf
    Got a few quotes myself in or around the same price range for a similarly sized house.Could you PM the company you used.....you seem to be fairly unscathed by the self build kit process so that not a bad sign..makes me feel a little happier for the year ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Can I get a pm too please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Can I get details also please?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mixupat

Hi Lads

Looking to get a few Timber Frame Quotes. Could any of you PM me with some details and recommendations. Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

Hi,

I'm looking for TF companies also, especially any that offer a 'turn-key' build. Anyone got any recommendations/info ?

Thanks,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

PM me too.

I have only got one quote back myself and its for a 320 sq m house 45000
    That is supply, errect, insulation, slats and felt

• Registered Users Posts: 13 corkcounty

can i get in on this TF companies names please, i am looking to build but my house small and so is my budget..

PLEASE HELP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭rayjdav

I have just finished complete house renovation together with 120sqm TF extension. All direct labour, me doing most save for trades.
    Priced around TF companies, and there was one SE Waterford based that could not be matched for price. Thing I noticed was that some of the cheaper prices, when read their spec, didnt include for doors/insulation/skirtings etc etc. They are counted as extras.. Beware on this. The Co I went with, all in, couldnt be matched. 3.5 days from sole plate to laths for the extension. Had a few minor alterations during erection and no problems. Think they were just glad of the work (Money) so no extras for alterations (within reason mind you). I design for a "living":D, ie thats when the phone rings, so had a lot of homework done already through my job. Compared to traditional build, I found no comparisions.
    I am not affiliated in anyway, shape or form with the company I used. Basically, just a happy customer. They do actually exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 corkcounty

hi can you tell me the name of the company in se waterford pls, email if you can,,.. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

hI,

we just moved into our 2.5story 140sqm TF house on friday. we went with a well know supplier, i had it down to 3 suppliers all the prices varied quite alot, but i went through them all with a fine tooth comb and it ended up that all prices we within 3k of each other, when you take into account different levels of spec and what is included and what is supply only etc..
    we went with them because of the assurance of a big name in the times we are in..
    the spec was a closed panel system, all pre-insulated etc, felt and battened, all windows and external doors.
    from sole plate to windows in, in 4 days.
    it was amazing to see things move so quickly, ( it took us nearly 2 years to get to that stage)
    i would highly recommend the TF route.
    we broke ground on the 5/12/09 and moved in on friday, all works completed exceot the outside to be finished.
    thanks to all on boards who answered so many questions along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

corkcounty wrote: »
    hi can you tell me the name of the company in se waterford pls, email if you can,,.. thanks

That'd be Munster Timber Structures,
    think they used to be called Munster Timber Services.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 2sounds

Been down this road recently too...not come to a decision yet though.
    Building 3200 home and using timber frame.
    Non standard construction in some aspects , roof spans, steel work required for floating corner post in sunroom etc.
    However Ive received about 6 quotes so far, ranging from €35k - €110k !!!
    The devil is in the detail though. Even though I sent out exact specs most only send back a general price with 10 pages of optional extras etc, so you do need to do your homework.
    Best value for me so far
    dempsey (DTE)
    A-Frame

Have to say ttfc in wexford impressed me the most , even though they were dearer than the others, only slightly though. Sent me back an exact breakdown of what i was looking for and exact pricing, so no homework required, met me on site and are a constant source of info even though ive not signed anything with them.

Ive heard in the trade that most TF companies are "hungry" at the moment so shop around and be prepared to educate yourself on what your getting back in the post.

No affiliation with any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

Any chance I could get some pm's in regards to contacts for timber frame kits, if it's not too much hasle please.
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Sorry to drag this up again, but I'm looking into this also and would love some info/recomendations and contact details. I have built a house before, standard block build, but my mother is looking to build and I want to find out a bit of info on TF builds (PM if you like :))
    Many, many thanks in advance

Keving

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭valtra2

hi could i get the names of some of them tf companys going building 204sm house in carlow and any advise is welcome only at planning stage so far

Sorry lads, never saw all the PM requests until now -
    As this is the prices/costs sub-forum, we are free to give out names.

I went with TTFC in wexford. As one poster above pointed out they are a very professional outfit - I did have snags, and you have to be on the lookout (don't you always) but it was all minor stuff and all was sorted out quickly and without fuss, so in fairness that's worth a lot.

I would recommend them. As for price, their closed panel system might sound like a high cost at first, but add up all the extras you get with that (inc labour) and I'd say you'll find it hard to beat overall.

Hope this helps a few people.

Note: If you do go with them, I would look for a guarantee for a specific level of air-tightness, if you go for that package. I did not have that written into any contracts, and in fairness they were still good about getting a good value, well below regs, but I didn't know at the time of signing that regs are fairly loose! If I had my time around, I would have gotten it written in.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Hi,
    Just saw your reply and with a closed panel system you should be getting very good airtighness levels. Maybe not passive levels but surely 1.5 @q50. insist on airtightness levels if you are paying for airtightness. Also be present for the test and verify yourself.

• Advertisement

Well we did the test pre-plastering, and achieved a value of 2.5, and I was present for the test. This value was including quite a large leak - given the size of the leak and the fact it was repaired, I would guess that a re-test would give us below 2 now - but prob won't get a re-test as it's quite expensive for no real added benefit.

Advertisement