Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating out in Waterdford....

• 05-01-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭

i am coming to Waterford this saturday with my mam and sister. we are staying the night in the city centre.

we hope to arrive by about 11. we are booked into a salon for pampering at 4 :)

looking for somewhere to have light lunch around 12.30 and dinner then around 6.30. my mam is a vegetarian and we all like european, chinese and italian food. any recommendations for either lunch or dinner??

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

i am coming to Waterford this saturday with my mam and sister. we are staying the night in the city centre.

looking for somewhere to have light lunch around 12.30 and dinner then around 6.30. my mam is a vegetarian and we all like european, chinese and italian food. any recommendations for either lunch or dinner??

thanks

La Taverna on the high street,its an italian .not too expensive,went there with the lack last week,was brilliant.nice atmosphere too.cant wait to go back there and try something else.tel: 051-852609.

Bistro next to the old cinema.think its patrick street .beautiful food,huge portions, cheap,cant complain. tel:051-844774.

for lunch id go to Revolution bar off john street,varied menu there,and its not far from town centre.

enjoy your day!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Here is my 2 cents for City Centre based places to eat.

Light Lunch

Cafe Lucia, opposite Gingerman Pub
    light food and tasty - Busy place during lunch time.

Evening Meal

French Restuarant - really nice, can be a tad bit pricey
    http://www.labohemerestaurant.ie/

Cafe Goa - Indian Restuarant - vegetarian friendly. I'm not into Indian but friends who are (and who are picky) like this place.
    http://www.cafegoa.ie/

La Taverna - Opposite Peter Marks
    Tasty authentic Italian food. It's delicious AND reasonable.

Other places
    - http://www.bodegawaterford.com/
    - http://www.lapalma.ie/
    - 47 Bistro, 47 Patrick Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

cant believe both of you recommend that place across from Peter marks

worst place i ever ate out in Waterford. just my opinion

Sumatra being the best.

http://www.waterfordtourist.com/details/sumatra.shtml

chrism2007 wrote: »

Sumatra being the best.

http://www.waterfordtourist.com/details/sumatra.shtml
    We are on commission :D

chrism2007, have you eaten in Italy (excluding Irish bar food)?
    The food does taste like a freshly made Italian food.

gotta agree,went there on recommendation of friends.fecking fantastic.even me lack whos not normally a big eater,had a starter,a main and dessert.i couldnt move after the main,best italian ive been to in town ,and ive been to the others.horses for courses i suppose,not everyones gonna like the same places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

i havent to be honest

i was there and got a lasagne. it was tiny, burnt and floating in about an inch of oil.

it was disgusting

maybe they have better food but ive spoken to a few people who had the same complaints about other dishes

maybe im not an authentically Italian person :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭jelliebellie

thanks for the suggestions everyone. i was in waterford once on a flying visit, just had to drop something off.

had lunch in the gingerman pub (only remembered the name when i saw someone else mention it!) food was nice but service wasnt great and our table could have done with a wipe down. would this place be ok for lunch time on a saturday? just wondering coz its some place i know how to get to!!

any advice where they do a good early bird offer in the evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭kakak1

thanks for the suggestions everyone. i was in waterford once on a flying visit, just had to drop something off.

had lunch in the gingerman pub (only remembered the name when i saw someone else mention it!) food was nice but service wasnt great and our table could have done with a wipe down. would this place be ok for lunch time on a saturday? just wondering coz its some place i know how to get to!!

Cross the lane from Gingerman to Cafe Lucia, not too bad.

Best bet for huge choice & excellent food is Bodegas in John Street.

If you want italian you can't go wrong with either La Palma on The Mall or Emilianos in High Street, neither cheap but good.

As far as I know they all do early birds.
    I'd be surprised if someone mentioned a place that doesn't.
    If you know the gingerman pub, then all the places mentioned are very close. Type the names into google.ie and google will more than likely show you a map location to these places.
    i havent to be honest

i was there and got a lasagne. it was tiny, burnt and floating in about an inch of oil.

it was disgusting

maybe they have better food but ive spoken to a few people who had the same complaints about other dishes

maybe im not an authentically Italian person biggrin.gif
    You could have just had one of the those miss days.

You should go, it is an experience. Italian pizzas taste and look so different to the Americanized ones we are so used to.

kakak1 wrote: »
    Cross the lane from Gingerman to Cafe Lucia, not too bad.

Best bet for huge choice & excellent food is Bodegas in John Street.

If you want italian you can't go wrong with either La Palma on The Mall or Emilianos in High Street, neither cheap but good.

bodega?very expensive there.
    emialianos?gone into decline last few years .
    havent been to la palma so cant comment.

• Advertisement

As far as I know they all do early birds.
    I'd be surprised if someone mentioned a place that doesn't.
    If you know the gingerman pub, then all the places mentioned are very close. Type the names into google.ie and google will more than likely show you a map location to these places.

You could have just had one of the those miss days.

You should go, it is an experience. Italian pizzas taste and look so different to the Americanized ones we are so used to.

mmm the pizzas,drool:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

L'atmosphere do an early bird but it's all evening. 20 euro for 3 courses and glass of wine. http://www.restaurant-latmosphere.com/ website is a bit of a disaster though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Do not go to Pa Pa Thai , 7:50 for a standard soup ! ripoff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

La Taverna for crostini and pizza... There's nothing like it that I've had in Ireland anyway.

I love the place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

chrism2007 wrote: »

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I'm very, very surprised that you got a bad meal in La Taverna.
    Trotter wrote: »
    La Taverna for crostini and pizza... There's nothing like it that I've had in Ireland anyway.

I love the place!

Me too. Mesef and hersef go in there at least once a fortnight. It's just like going to a trattoria in Rome... it's that good. I absolutely adore the place.

+1 on Café Goa, L'Atmosphere and La Boheme too. La Boheme is expensive, but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

thanks

For lunch, the best in town is probably Berfranks on the Quay (one block from the clock tower in the direction of Reginald's tower).

For dinner, in my opinion anyway, Bodega on John st. is a really good restaurant/wine bar, but there are lots of good restaurants in Waterford. Italians I like: La Taverna, La Toscana (was closed last time I passed by!?) and Harlequin. Waterford seems to have a high concentration of good/genuine Italian places with staff that can hardly speak English. :) La Palma is a staple for a lot of people. Lime Leaf is a good Thai place. The highest concentrations of restaurants are on High st./Henrietta st. (5/6) and the Mall/Parnell st. (3/4).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im a big fan of The Munster for dinner.Pretty reasonable prices and damn tasty food :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

The best restaurant in Waterford, GOA has just closed for a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭jelliebellie

arrived in waterford later than we had expected. we were starving and wanted to get some shopping in before heading to the salon.

we ended up have a sandwich in o briens, was really nice i must say.
    same went for dinner, we left it late so when we did start lookin for some place we were really hungry and freezing!!

went to see what emilianos was like, not a great vegetarian option so we went to la taverna. must say we were very impressed in general. we all had starters and mains. starters were really nice all round. my main and my sister's main were both gorgeous and perfect sized portions. my mother enjoyed hers although it was slightly on the small size.

felt kind of sorry for the guys working there because there were only 2 other table occupied while we were there. business was very quiet. pity as it was a lovely place. would def recommend it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

merlante wrote: »
    Berfranks on the Quay (one block from the clock tower in the direction of Reginald's tower).

For dinner, in my opinion anyway, Bodega on John st.

Both of these are the best suggestions so far for lunch and dinner!!

Both insanely reasonable for what you get.

I was always a Sumatra man until berfranks opened its doors (for lunches and small dinners). Ya get a cool feeling walking in the door of that place, Different to anywhere in town, The kinda feeling where you say *yup, this is where i`m having lunch :P)

• Advertisement
Advertisement