Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copa Del Rey: Barcelona Vs Sevilla 1st Leg

• 05-01-2010 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Live on Sky Sports tonight with a 9pm Kick Off.

Looking forward to this game. Sevilla are damned good side, but are on a very dodgy run at the moment, having drawn a few games at home to relegation candidates, and losing against Atleti on Saturday 2-1, despite taking the lead.

I expect both teams to field fairly strong sides. Sevilla want some Silverware back, and this is probably their best route, as with all due respect, they will not win the CL or La Liga. Barca for their part will want to get back to winning ways and continue their quest for another clean sweep.

I would like to see Bojan start tonight just to get his sharpness back. Would not surprise me to see Dos Santos start again either as Pep will want to do a small bit of rotation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Cheers for the heads up, didnt know this was on tonight! What's the Barca team likely to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Goal.coms team news

Personally I would be shocked if Barca go that much understrength. Plus I think Jeffren is injured? Sevilla have alot out injured, so I would have thought that pep might look at this as an oppurtunity to take full advantage, get a nice lead, so maybe rest a few for the return leg.

TEAM NEWS
    Barcelona

Lionel Messi and Rafael Marquez are both back training with the first team after an extended winter break.

Seydou Keita and Yaya Toure are on international duty in Angola, but they are considered to be the only selection issue for the Blaugrana, who have called upon Jonathan dos Santos, Thiago Alcantara, Gai Assulin, Victor Vazquez and Ruben Mino from their reserve side.

Expect to see a number of fringe players on display.

Probable Starting XI: Pinto; Dani Alves, Marques, Chygrynskiy, Maxwell; Busquets, Dos Santos, Iniesta; Pedro, Bojan, Jeffren

Sevilla

As well as the aforementioned injuries to Sebastien Squillaci and Luis Fabiano, there are other problems for Jimenez, who only has 14 senior players available, to cope with.

Adriano has failed to shake off a weekend problem and will not be involved, while Federico Fazio, Lautaro Acosta, Sergio Sanchez, Javi Varas and Tom de Mul are all missing. Julien Escude had stomach flu but seems to have overcome the illness. Diego Perotti should be involved, despite picking up a minor issue at the weekend.

Didier Zokora, Arouna Kone and Frederic Kanoute are on international duty.

Aldo Duscher is available, despite being dismissed at the weekend.

Probable Starting XI: Palop; Konko, Escude, Dragutinovic, Fernando Navarro; Romaric, Lolo; Navas, Renato, Diego Capel; Kone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sevilla have a match squad of 14 players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Good to see Dos Santos getting games, no doubt the Villareal match will give him a boost. Sure some of the Catalan press have already dubbed him the next Xavi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Could be some goals in this one. Particularly with Pinto and Chyrgianski (or whatever the hell his name is) playing for Barca.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Would love to see Gai Assulin and Thiago get some game time tonight. Been waiting years for these fellows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Is this quarters / semi-final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Vokes wrote: »
    Is this quarters / semi-final?

Last 16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Excellent. Looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Goal wrote:
    Didier Zokora, Arouna Kone and Frederic Kanoute are on international duty.

Aldo Duscher is available, despite being dismissed at the weekend.

Probable Starting XI: Palop; Konko, Escude, Dragutinovic, Fernando Navarro; Romaric, Lolo; Navas, Renato, Diego Capel; Kone

Guessing that's meant to be Negredo.

• Advertisement

When the line ups are known could someone post them up? Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Barca lineup:

Pinto; Alves, Chygrynskiy, Milito, Maxwell; Iniesta, Márquez, Thiago; Messi, Bojan, Pedro

Very weak but Sevilla missing half their starting 11 so.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

redout wrote: »
    Barca lineup:

Pinto; Alves, Chygrynskiy, Milito, Maxwell; Iniesta, Márquez, Thiago; Messi, Bojan, Pedro

ya it is weak alright

not sure what to do

Any rescue remedy on the bench?

Headshot wrote: »
    ya it is weak alright

not sure what to do

Wait for the bench brother.

No idea who is on it yet.

Remember I told you Ibra suspended for the weekend so could well feature at some stage.

Xavi, Puyol, Henry, Busquets or Pique could be on the bench.

So wait and see.

Sevilla lineup:

Palop; Komko, Dragutinovic, Escudé, Fernando Navarro; Lolo, Romaric; Perotti, Navas, Capel; Koné.

Weak also. I would definitely go with Barca at home against this weakened team.

Barca lineup:

how will that team line out ?

Pinto
    Alves---Chyg---Mil
    Max
    Marq
    ----Iniesta
    Thiago
    Messi
    Bojan ----Pedro

Would seem logical

Barca bench:

Valdes
    Henry
    Ibra
    Xavi
    Puyol
    Pique
    Busquets

Very strong.

The ball control by Barca is unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

What a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Think I might stick Desperate Houswives on for the second half:pac:

Pretty poor apart from Messi's chance off the upright.

First 25mins Barca had some quality ball control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭the1andonly1

Is it just me or have everyone bar Messi and Iniesta been pretty poor for the last 20 minutes for Barca? Time to use the bench methinks

Busquets on Marquez must revert back to CB.

Hope Xavi come on to add some spark.

Good man Pep.

Listen to Redout :D

Goal

Dirt!

ref is a ****ing joke

its a contact sport ffs

Goal............

1 - 1

Brilliant finish

Ibracadabra

Christ Peno Sevilla

that Chygrynskiy fella is one of the worse defenders iv seen in a top team for a long time

• Advertisement

I was fully expecting a 3-0 scoreline by now :( Bottlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wow Barca lost a domestic game. It took until the new year for it to happen.

mg barca was crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

he he he :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

they're just luring everyone into a false sense of security.

;)

In fairness they had two goals ruled out.

The first definitely should have stood.

Sevilla had one also.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Imagine that, ref decisions robbing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

CHD wrote: »

let it go.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its refreshing isn't it, to see the big teams not getting favourable refereeing. I think it was a penalty but you wouldn't get it against United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool.

SlickRic wrote:
    let it go.

:P

Never!
    eagle eye wrote:
    Its refreshing isn't it, to see the big teams not getting favourable refereeing. I think it was a penalty but you wouldn't get it against United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool.
    Yup and will be interesting to see how Barca deal with losing players to African nations.

Yup and will be interesting to see how Barca deal with losing players to African nations.

Keita and Touré are the only players they're losing. Pretty sure a midfield trio of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta will be well able to cope without them.

• Advertisement

cupcup.gif

2rgnf2w.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Never!

Even without those players it's still the best midfield in the world though mate. ;)

I think that this result is important for neutrals more than anyone. I mean, you can see even on this forum that it's a big deal. Barca haven't been as dominant or as captivating as last season, but they have been efficient. A result like this was always on the cards. However, it was a pretty tight game, Sevilla's tactics were spot on, have three defenders ready to nullify Alves, Messi and Iniesta.

A positive was Thiago, thought he showed alot of class for youngin, wasn't afraid to shoot on occasion instead of passing it to a more 'experienced' player. He also made a fool of a number of Seville defenders. Bright prospect, would love him to stay at the club.

Good game though, disappointing result, it'll be interesting to see how this team copes with going to the Ramon Sanchez Pizquan needing two goals to go through. I think Sevilla will probably knock us out of the Copa Del Rey now though, which is incredibly disappointing, but Barca/ Guardiola needed to be taken down to earth eventually.

cupcup.gif

2rgnf2w.gif
    Hilarious, if that came from a decent poster I might lol but a glory hunter who is confused and can't decide if he supports the team winning in Spain or England and does Hulk Hogan impressions is the funny part. Keep up the good work, brother.

eze^, I thought Barca lost more players, should be fine with what is left.

Hilarious, if that came from a decent poster I might lol but a glory hunter who is confused and can't decide if he supports the team winning in Spain or England and does Hulk Hogan impressions is the funny part. Keep up the good work, brother.

Still bitter brother ?

Still bitter brother ?
    Not one little bit sister.

Anyway back on topic Barca 1-2 Sevilla, cool.

Not one little bit sister.

Anyway back on topic Barca 1-2 Sevilla, cool.

Could have fooled me.

But as you say back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Thought of this straight away:

baby_hulk-hogan.jpg

"Barca-mania's runnin wild BROTHER!!!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Sure hope so mate, Busquets can be a hot head and if he gets red carded we'll be relying on Marquez to play DMF.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Sure hope so mate, Busquets can be a hot head and if he gets red carded we'll be relying on Marquez to play DMF.

Piqué is an option there aswell if you're willing to risk Chyrgy/Marquez/Milito/Abidal at centre half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

eZe^ wrote: »

I actually think when he's on form it's Marquez' best position, but he's looked dodgy for a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement