Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poetic Licence...

Options
  • 05-01-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

So there is a big row between England and Scotland about the best poet. England says Shakespeare, Scotland says Robbie Burns.
    Eventually, it’s decided to hold a competition, where the two great men will face each other.

On the day of the competition, the two poets come on stage, and the referee explains that he will say a word, and each poet will have to make a rhyme using that word.

They agree, and the referee says “Timbuktu”.

The lads start scribbling furiously.

After 15 minutes, the referee tells them put down their pens, and calls on Shakespeare to recite his poem first.

So William recites
    “I like to sit by the sea while having a jar,
    and watch the ships from near and far,
    and I know by their sails of blue,
    those ships that have come from Timbuktu”.
    This was greeted warmly by the English element of the audience.

Robbie Burns then stand up to take his turn, and points at a man at the front of the stage and says:
    “This is my brother Tim, and my poem is about an event that occurred a few weeks ago.”
    Robbie then recites:
    “One day, Tim and I were walking on a Glasgow street,
    when three young ladies we did meet,
    and as young men will often do,
    I bucked one and Tim bucked two”!

Advertisement