Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improvements to ieboards Blackout Cup

Options
  • 05-01-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Dave has a thread regarding improving the website elsewhere, so this thread is for everything regarding the ie boards Blackout Cup that doesn't involve the website.

My suggestions:

1. Make it a completely WNWIM competition - i.e. all games are to be played WNWIM by all participants. Whether or not this should extend to the play-offs or just the league is a further point of debate.

2. If we agree to the above WNWIM agreement, then I would suggest we create a type of judge who would adjudicate on cases of people not playing WNWIM, with punishment given to transgressors. I'm happy to put myself forward for this position. ;)

3. That entrants create there own player profiles (Dave's idea) to be put up on the website and on this forum. This isn't compulsory for all entrants however.

Finally, I'm looking for 1-2 journalists for next season, maybe someone to help Dave with the website (if he feels that is needed) and while I'm happy to continue admining and overlooking the entire competition, we can have elections with regard to my adminstrator position if people so wish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Orizio wrote: »
    1. Make it a completely WNWIM competition - i.e. all games are to be played WNWIM by all participants. Whether or not this should extend to the play-offs or just the league is a further point of debate.

Agree with this completely.
    2. If we agree to the above WNWIM agreement, then I would suggest we create a type of judge who would adjudicate on cases of people not playing WNWIM, with punishment given to transgressors. I'm happy to put myself forward for this position. ;)
    How is this done? someone check the teams energy levels before and after the match? or send a screenshot showing the intensity and the match it is for in same pciture? (other tactics blurred out of course! ;)
    3. That entrants create there own player profiles (Dave's idea) to be put up on the website and on this forum. This isn't compulsory for all entrants however.

Sounds good - saves searching in the roll call thread if I do not know the manager of the team I am playing (though this would be somewhat unnecessary if all are playing WNWIM.
    Finally, I'm looking for 1-2 journalists for next season, maybe someone to help Dave with the website (if he feels that is needed) and while I'm happy to continue admining and overlooking the entire competition, we can have elections with regard to my adminstrator position if people so wish.

Ohhh the journal is coming back!:D fraid I wouldn't be able to commit to this as heading into busy season in work :(

All in all I feel the cup is working well so no need to make any drastic changes tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Forgot to add that I'm looking to increase the numbers involved by 8, but that depends of course as to how many enter.

Regarding the judge thing, my feeling is that it's up to both teams to take note of energy levels right before and right after the match - if someone then fails to honour the WNWIM agreement, the victim can then tell me, make his/her case, the accused can reply and then I will adjudicate and execute punish if necessary.

We could also use this to settle other matters, I can punish teams that fail to accept fixtures for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

I'm something of a technophobe but would be happy to help someone writing up match reports etc.

I'd be happy with WNWIM for the pools and then individual agreement for the play offs again.

Think it went well again this year and I'd like to add my thanks to all involved in making it run so smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

wnwim agreement is an excellent idea. It looked like many of you had agreements in place for the group stages this year anyway.

Manager profiles are also sounds good.

I suppose the judge thing would be easy if people agreed to send a snapshot to a judge/the other player if the intensity played at is questioned. I would say we could it would be best to get 2 judges as it would help to prevent any conflict of interest. (not that I'm questioning Orizio's honesty:p)

Unfortunately I'll be abroad for about four weeks towards the start of next season so I wont have the time to be involved as a journalist, although I can try to contribute something later on if there's a lack of people. I would need a crash course in how a website works to help Dave so that's not a great option.

As long as your happy to continue as admin Orizio you have my vote to do so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I said it elsewhere but I wouldn't be in favour of an enforced WNWIM cup. I think the option to use different intensities is a good equaliser and gives newer teams a decent run at the title.

It would be more convenient for many teams to have it WNWIM, you could enter the cup just to avoid searching for friendlies every week, but having the choice to "go for it" is nice for teams that have nothing else to play for elsewhere.

My team's situation was such that I had to try and keep it WNWIM and I'm in a pretty high pressure league battle so I could have done with forgetting about the BIE Cup, so my opinions aren't based on what's best for me, I just think the choice makes things fairer and more unpredictable.

I'll do some journo work, I'll be looking for a distraction or two.

If people like, I can create seperate threads on the important subjects, and we can them to the vote. These two seem the most important...

1. Whether or not it should be a WNWIM agreement competition.

2. Whether or not we should base the divisions on the Blackout rankings system or do it randomly as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

2. Whether or not we should base the divisions on the Blackout rankings system or do it randomly as per usual.

I was thinking that a little fiddling with the seedings might help to make leagues more competitive.
    For example, four pools of eight teams, and teams can choose which pool they enter:
    Pools A and B each send three teams to the cup quarter finals, and pools C and D each send one.

Stronger teams would put themselves in the top 2 pools, and weaker teams put themselves in the lower pools, hopefully making for more competitive matches all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

TBH I say leave it as it is. Realistically only the weaker Div 4 and 5 teams will be able to TNT making it more fair and meaning reall any team could win.

If we are going WNWIM good Idea

+1
    Good Idea

I would love to do and I really enjoyed doing Jeffs Journal But I really don't have the time atm and I am very busy with RL stuff. Hence me not being on boards that much and to make things worse what free time I have had over the last month or so has been spent playing Modern warfare 2 (unbelievable game):D

Advertisement