Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* School closures due to weather - link to RTE list in first post *

• 05-01-2010 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

its all over facebook and getting texts but not sure if its confirmed tho like officially? anyone know?
    hope its true!!:D

EDIT: Link to latest list of closed schools here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Up Mayo

I think it will be.

I checked the INTO's website and they postponed a conference because of "adverse" weather conditions.

Alot of people are staying indoors across the country and have stocked up on food and fuel, etc, as they expected this weather. Was crazy in town last week as people were saying we wouldn't be able to get out with the weather.

I'd say the schools will have to close - although some are supposed to go back tomorrow ( which is crazy as it's a Holy Day of Obligation ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

If this is true I will literally dance with joy. If anyone gets official word please PM me or post it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

When you say you got texts do you mean from your school?

I havent done half as much as I'd like to have done over xmas so this would be very good :)

Any teachers on this forum know what the story is?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just saw on the news the DES have said it's a decision for local boards of management.
    This is the usual pass the buck sort of thing you'd expect in Ireland. Whether any days 'lost' due to weather will have to be made up at another stage,who knows? A firm and unambiguous decision from the DES would have stopped uncertainty, but sure, I suppose we're used to it.

In other words, no-one knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

I hope so
    The majority of students in my school would probably be able to get to school, its the teachers that would have more difficulty, so hopefully! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

It is up to the schools Board of Management to close/open the school or not. Listen to your local radio station or here is an idea, PHONE THE SCHOOL AND ASK! Any days missed due to closure I think will be made up come summer time.

Yeah Think I might phone in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Got a text from the school an hour ago. NO SCHOOL!!! (until Monday)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

I really hope we have no school! :D But we had school the other days when loads of others didn't :( Please weather be good to us!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Last time we had major snow, back in the 80s, our BOM made no decision, it took me 2 hours to get in, only to be sent home about 15 minutes later. I fully expect the same again.

I just hope there are no serious accidents with the increased traffic as parents drive students in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Got a text from the school an hour ago. NO SCHOOL!!! (until Monday)
    What part of Galway are you in? Moycullen is my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

Days off will have to be made up again during the year. I suspect most schools will be open. At the end of the day it is only a bit of ice. Not nice but it could be worse. Anyway they will not close unless there is a mass amount of snowfall within the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

spurious wrote: »
    Just saw on the news the DES have said it's a decision for local boards of management.
    This is the usual pass the buck sort of thing you'd expect in Ireland. Whether any days 'lost' due to weather will have to be made up at another stage,who knows? A firm and unambiguous decision from the DES would have stopped uncertainty, but sure, I suppose we're used to it.

In other words, no-one knows.
    Ridiculous! :rolleyes: Is the local boards of management basically the school, or do they have juristiction over the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Headford is closed until monday anyway and I reckon that could extend to a lot of other places (in County Galway at least), it was on Galway Bay FM earlier - the roads are lethal and theres not a lot to suggest it'll get any better before next week. Too bad I ain't in school anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oooh I hope they do this for the colleges *crosses fingers* cos we have so many students flying back from abroad maybe their flights will be cancelled so the exams will be postponed *crosses toes as well*

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

It's up to each individual school. Days will not have to be made up, according to the DES:
    "The board of management should make all reasonable efforts to make up these school days during the remainder of the same school year."

Trust me most schools will not make these days up as holidays will have been booked etc. If a school keeps quiet about it, they won't have to make the day up. Last year a school around me closed due to road conditions, they never made the day up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I expect to be in school Thursday morning. Yeah it'll be cold and that, but unless the roads are extremely icy or there is some heavy snowfall within the next 24 hours, I think it will go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Piste wrote: »
    Oooh I hope they do this for the colleges *crosses fingers* cos we have so many students flying back from abroad maybe their flights will be cancelled so the exams will be postponed *crosses toes as well*

Not back in UL until the 25th of Jan :D

All of you who hope that you are not back until monday because you haven't done a lot, I can guarantee you will do NOTHING on thursday and Friday either, you're better off back in school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

while it would be awesome to have an extra few days off, i really need to get into school asap because i didnt have any books at home with me over xmas, our school closed early without warning so i didnt get the chance to get them. needless to say im getting slightly anxious over the mocks and all. :eek:

but still, i do hope theres no school.

• Advertisement

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    I can guarantee you will do NOTHING on thursday and Friday either, you're better off back in school!

This is my fear. But I'd still like the day off even to ATTEMPT stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'd love if it was true but wouldn't say it is for me. I only got a bit of snow and all of the buses are back running. Only in the last couple of days i realised how much i had to do so if i had tomorrow off i think i'd do a good bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I really hope we get the days off but I go to a private school and we're always the ONLY school in the county open =[.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Schools in East Leinster likely to be closed as 5cm+ of snow forecasted for today/tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'll probably have to go into school anyway to see if it's closed :( It's snowing here and getting heavier by the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

What part of Galway are you in? Moycullen is my guess.

Im near Headford.

DKZ wrote: »
    Schools in East Leinster likely to be closed as 5cm+ of snow forecasted for today/tonight!
    Wouldn't bet on it. RTE weather said there would be snow in Meath today and there's not even a cloud in the sky here. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 steo 24

yeh but theres lodes of snow here in dublin atm!

I predict that either schools will be open but no one will go to it

or

Schools in East Leinster will be closed until monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I would a few more days off, stupid college exams. It's lashing down here in Dublin 15 now.

• Advertisement

steo 24 wrote: »
    yeh but theres lodes of snow here in dublin atm!

I predict that either schools will be open but no one will go to it

or

Schools in East Leinster will be closed until monday.
    Hopefully it will blow north.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement