Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* School closures due to weather - link to RTE list in first post *

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

thank god for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

yenoBAYUB wrote: »
    is no one else happy?

Sorry! DCG project and SERIOUSLY behind in Physics

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

its graaaand guys we'll all be fine for the mocks.. seriously do a bit of work at home and you'll be fine!don't understand something find a friend who does and get them to explain it! there are people who do all the work themselves at home and do well.. you don't actually need school for the next 3 days!

5. weekend study buzz;)

haha I know its 5 but wasn't counting the weekend.. but seriously everyone panicking don't worry you'll be fine.. =] think positive and go have a snow fight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭lauralee28

They'll have to make up for the days in the summer. I'd prefer to be off in June rather than January!

Secondary schools don't have to make up the days in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Quick question, i've to go to the institiute in town tomorrow, rang them earlier and they said it was on but that was before this. Do you think it'd still be on?

Probably I'd say the schools are notified before the public on RTE.

Try ringing them again! The past few days have thought me 1 thing:
    • Schools should have their own twitter and update it!

I say ring em again and be like ok the news had just said this now is it still on.. =]

Thanks, i did just there no answer i'll keep trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Stinjy wrote: »
    its graaaand guys we'll all be fine for the mocks.. seriously do a bit of work at home and you'll be fine!don't understand something find a friend who does and get them to explain it! there are people who do all the work themselves at home and do well.. you don't actually need school for the next 3 days!

I really wish I could be that positive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some schools, like ours have their website already updated. We also have Moodle so exam classes are being set assignments.

It's a week, it's not the end of the world.
    Of course, the teachers will be blamed for it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kylzer911

@Dancing Queen, let us know what the story is when you get through cudya? I've got tute in the mornin too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Secondary schools DO have to make up the days before Summer. I wouldn't mind, only they won't give us that extra week for the Leaving Cert. I need that week in school because I find it hard to study at home :/ Plus we're MILES behind in most of the subjects. This weather is wrecking everything. I'd love if they put back the LC a week :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Plus side:
    Wooo Off

Downside:
    Have my Ucas application.
    I need teachers shouting at me to work
    I miss my friends!

Kylzer911 wrote: »
    @Dancing Queen, let us know what the story is when you get through cudya? I've got tute in the mornin too...

Still can't get through but my dad told me to just go anyway, that they said it was open earlier and it wouldn't have changed. I'll keep trying but i'm more than likely going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Secondary schools do not have to make up the days. the school calendar is planned 2 to 3 years in adavnce allowing for parents taking Holidays etc. It CANNOT be changed, if they did they would face paying compensation to those who had holidays booked or the Gteacht booked for early June etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

They're obviously trying to keep traffic to a minimum. They don't have enough salt to keep the roads gritted.

Batt O Keefe is right. A few extra days off is better than hearing about some school bus skidding on ice and lives being lost.

kev9100 wrote: »
    I really wish I could be that positive.

and you can! just pick up a book at home and read it maybe an english novel or play and thats all studying.. just set your self a time and say no friends, no computer, no phone ,no xbox and make yourself do something .. sure we all have the same situation..
    and theres no point being upset or worried because you can't change it it is the was it is and we all have to deal with it so enjoy it while you have it because colleges have to go in for exams on tuesdaY! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yenoBAYUB

Still can't get through but my dad told me to just go anyway, that they said it was open earlier and it wouldn't have changed. I'll keep trying but i'm more than likely going.

AFAIK the institutes not a school? A business? So they wouldnt be affected? I could be talking through my ass but ive always been under the impression. Anyways, im gonna woo for all u out there who dont wanna....you ready??

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

i mean, erm, yeah cool, whatever :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Quick question, i've to go to the institiute in town tomorrow, rang them earlier and they said it was on but that was before this. Do you think it'd still be on?

Hey Dancing Queen, Im in the institute we were told weekend study wont be on and also my irish class tomorrow morning was postponed until further notice so I presume the school is being closed altogether!

If you find out for certain either way let us know!:)

Also the school shut early today at 2.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It's free too - a great piece of kit.

knwaca wrote: »
    crap, i need school to get me structured, left to my own devices, i.e the past two weesk I do nothing...mocks results will be shocking now!

Join the club :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This is the greatest news of 2010 so far. Badly needed for the study to begin for the Mocks.

Happy 5 days off everybody!!!

Lola92 wrote: »
    Hey Dancing Queen, Im in the institute we were told weekend study wont be on and also my irish class tomorrow morning was postponed until further notice so I presume the school is being closed altogether!

If you find out for certain either way let us know!:)

Also the school shut early today at 2.30

Thank you! I was on the website http://www.ioe.ie/ and it says
    Due to weather conditions - 5th Form Classes are cancelled on Friday 8th January. 6th Year Full time classes will run as normal to 14:30pm
    Leaving and Junior Cert Evening / Saturday Classes are cancelled on Friday 8th January. Classes are scheduled to run as normal on Saturday 9th January.

so i think i'll go in and see.

Thank you! I was on the website http://www.ioe.ie/ and it says

so i think i'll go in and see.

Good stuff, enjoy your Saturday in school so! :)

Its about time this country got some decent snow days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I think it's just a shame they didn't tell us this morning when students could have brought home books and stuff rather than at 4.50 when schools are closed =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

Hopefully these extra days off will force me to study, and I won't be able to use too much homework as an excuse not to study :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

nice positive start to 2010.. long may it continue!!!

I can imagne some of my teachers who had work planned.. freaking out right now! it was only today we were told that the next 5weeks are the most important and not to be missing!! heh heh!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement