Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* School closures due to weather - link to RTE list in first post *

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

My Chemistry class had a trip to Maynooth planned on Wednesday; for the experiments. It'll probably be cancelled at this rate. And I really wanted to go, been looking forward to it for months...I hope they reschedule. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Stop stress about not being back until next week. My second exam in the actual leaving cert was postoned until the saturday last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yenoBAYUB

Orlaladuck wrote: »
    I think it's just a shame they didn't tell us this morning when students could have brought home books and stuff rather than at 4.50 when schools are closed =/

Well alot of schools have been closed the past two days anyways, so if people didnt have their books over christmas they wouldnt of had them either way, and chances are, if they werent going to use the christmas to study, they wouldnt of done it at all. And, if people who WERE in school today were really serious about studying, they probably would of brought their books home to do it over the weekend anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Why do I have a feeling we'll have to go in on Monday.
    Damn private schools.
    Should I somehow manage to be off, I'm gonna do a aload of work!:D

I dont think the minister can go back on it now can he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Why do I have a feeling we'll have to go in on Monday.
    Damn private schools.
    Should I somehow manage to be off, I'm gonna do a aload of work!:D

No we're all Definitely off, even the private schools!

Stop stress about not being back until next week. My second exam in the actual leaving cert was postoned until the saturday last year!

The English one? That was for an ENTIRE different reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I'm guessing this doesn't count for private schools?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

No we're all Definitely off, even the private schools!
    They actually specified private schools?

Well private schools are still run by the department, and it said ALL schools - I know that goes for my own school as well. Ring in and find out maybe if you're unsure, but I'm pretty certain if it was just public schools it'd would've just been an update of the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

B***ocks to this.

My school was well able to manage itself this week by making us come in later at 10am, which was a good system because people didn't have to rush on the icy roads to be on time. Attendance was normal, nearly every teacher/ pupil was able to get in. At first I was majorly disappointed about it but I got over it pretty soon.

Now Batt O'Keefe makes a late, unnecessary decision to close all schools when some were functioning with no bother. :mad:

Ffs, everyone had just got back into the normal rhythm of things and the mocks are only 5 weeks away!

Thank you very much for throwing a spanner in the works minister. Typical of that motley crew in Dail Eireann.

If you have 5 weeks to the mocks, then please don't complain. Some of us have 24 DAYS.

If you have 5 weeks to the mocks, then please don't complain. Some of us have 24 DAYS.

Yeah, it could be worse I suppose, but for god sake there was no need for every school to close. :rolleyes: It's not even snowing where I live, just frost, and the school has been using grit leading to the entrance of the school, which I thought was fairly good form of them.

Still, can't say I'll be complaining about staying in bed on the cold mornings. :)

MultiUmm wrote: »
    B***ocks to this.

My school was well able to manage itself this week by making us come in later at 10am, which was a good system because people didn't have to rush on the icy roads to be on time. Attendance was normal, nearly every teacher/ pupil was able to get in.

Yeah, thats grand and everything, but considering that many schools in the country were off, there wouldnt have been as many cars on the road? So obviously it would have been easier to get in. If every school delayed the pupils coming in it would defeat the purpose as everyone would be on the roads at the same time again! and if they left it at nine the same! So yes, some schools were "functioning fine", more than likely due to the fact that most other schools were closed. Its too dangerous, simple as, I'd rather have a few days off than risk being killed on the roads, and more than likely wasting a few days in school doing nothing, as no one in their right mind is going to send their precious little darlings to school in this weather, its only a few days, ull all get over it, and homework is out of the way, so theres no excuse not to get ur extra study in, if anything, this should be a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

yenoBAYUB wrote: »
    B***ocks to this.

My school was well able to manage itself this week by making us come in later at 10am, which was a good system because people didn't have to rush on the icy roads to be on time. Attendance was normal, nearly every teacher/ pupil was able to get in.

Yeah, thats grand and everything, but considering that many schools in the country were off, there wouldnt have been as many cars on the road? So obviously it would have been easier to get in. If every school delayed the pupils coming in it would defeat the purpose as everyone would be on the roads at the same time again! and if they left it at nine the same! So yes, some schools were "functioning fine", more than likely due to the fact that most other schools were closed. Its too dangerous, simple as, I'd rather have a few days off than risk being killed on the roads, and more than likely wasting a few days in school doing nothing, as no one in their right mind is going to send their precious little darlings to school in this weather, its only a few days, ull all get over it, and homework is out of the way, so theres no excuse not to get ur extra study in, if anything, this should be a good thing!

Not necessarily, all the schools where I live were open, bar the ones in the country where the roads were impassable.

Tbh the ice really isn't that bad where I live. I can understand for people living in rural areas or up the country where it's snowing but it really isn't extremely dangerous here as long as people are careful and take a bit of extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Eh orlaladuck you realise 5 weeks may actually be 25 days??? as in 5 school weeks.. I don't know if thats what is meant but just thought I'd point it out...=]

not bad where u are, not now, which is fair enough, havent u seen the weather forecast?? only time will tell whether is going to get as bad as predicted but at the end of the day the minister isnt out to ruin ur leaving cert, hes making sure you, your parents, ur lil brother, ur lil sister, ur best friend etc. dont get killed on the roads!! Neither you, I or the minister are fortune tellers, no one knows how bad its going to get over the weekend, its a SAFETY MEASURE. And as for everyone getting back into the swing of things? More than half of the country were off school, YOU'VE gotten back into the swing of things, not everyone. People will more than likely use the next few days wisely, studying, getting ready for their mocks, rather than say, complaining about it and wasting valuable study time on Boards?:p

not bad where u are, not now, which is fair enough, havent u seen the weather forecast?? only time will tell whether is going to get as bad as predicted but at the end of the day the minister isnt out to ruin ur leaving cert, hes making sure you, your parents, ur lil brother, ur lil sister, ur best friend etc. dont get killed on the roads!! Neither you, I or the minister are fortune tellers, no one knows how bad its going to get over the weekend, its a SAFETY MEASURE. And as for everyone getting back into the swing of things? More than half of the country were off school, YOU'VE gotten back into the swing of things, not everyone. People will more than likely use the next few days wisely, studying, getting ready for their mocks, rather than say, complaining about it and wasting valuable study time on Boards?:p

Eh, they've been saying that for weeks but I have yet to see anything other then a bit of slush which is mostly hard frost on the ground.

And? You want me to fix that? :pac:

Heh heh, true enough. :p

Eh, they've been saying that for weeks but I have yet to see anything other then a bit of slush which is mostly hard frost on the ground.

And? You want me to fix that? :pac:

Heh heh, true enough. :p

Yes they've been saying it for weeks, but its not the weekend yet is it? so u clearly havent seen anything other than slush! Listen, theres no point in complaining, its done, ur schools closed, if ur that concerned, spend ur days off studying, seems to be the simple solution, u sitting at ur computer slandering the minister isnt going to ensure u sitting in a classroom at 9am monday morning.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry a bit of slush??? my dad was coming home yesterday driving very slowly but was on a hill he couldn't stop the car ended up in a tree!an experienced driver.. never had a crash before but in a tree because of the ice .. and that is the road he must travel its a main road!!! I can't Imagine all the school traffic trying to get through that road at 9 am on a Monday morning ridiculas!

Stinjy wrote: »
    I'm sorry a bit of slush??? my dad was coming home yesterday driving very slowly but was on a hill he couldn't stop the car ended up in a tree!an experienced driver.. never had a crash before but in a tree because of the ice .. and that is the road he must travel its a main road!!! I can't Imagine all the school traffic trying to get through that road at 9 am on a Monday morning ridiculas!

And as well u have to remember its not only people in cars who are in danger, its pedestrians too! All it takes is for one person to skid on the ice, go flying off the road and into a child or a parent. And hope ur dads ok Stinjy!

Exactly.. Yeah hes grand.. Just a bit warey of driving now.. its waaaaay to bad out there! thanks though! =]

There's also the fact - what about busses? My busdrivers an idiot in normal conditions let alone when you add frost and ice. I was driving on tuesday and even in first and second gear I skidded on the road. The last thing we want is a repeat of the last bus accident a few years ago.

Also 5 weeks in school weeks would put us at midterm :p. 5 weeks normally, would put us past the midterm. Putting mocks on after the midterm is Cruel imo though.

EDIT: Also good to hear your dad's okay though :), one of the lucky ones definitely.

Yes they've been saying it for weeks, but its not the weekend yet is it? so u clearly havent seen anything other than slush! Listen, theres no point in complaining, its done, ur schools closed, if ur that concerned, spend ur days off studying, seems to be the simple solution, u sitting at ur computer slandering the minister isnt going to ensure u sitting in a classroom at 9am monday morning.

I'm not slandering anyone, I'm just saying he should've thought through his decision with a bit more consideration, or announce it earlier, why leave it 'til today?

Parent teacher meeting was meant to be Tuesday as well, so I suppose that will have to be postponed.

Funnily enough I live in O'Keefe's constituency and quite close to his house actually, so you'd think he might have left it up to the local boards of management if he knew things were running smoothly in a few places anyway. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Not necessarily, all the schools where I live were open, bar the ones in the country where the roads were impassable.

Tbh the ice really isn't that bad where I live. I can understand for people living in rural areas or up the country where it's snowing but it really isn't extremely dangerous here as long as people are careful and take a bit of extra time.

I presume you go to school in Ballincollig? I thought the roads weren't bad here in Cork either. My school was closed and maybe twenty minutes away from you, and the roads are lethal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I'm not slandering anyone, I'm just saying he should've thought through his decision with a bit more consideration, or announce it earlier, why leave it 'til today?

Parent teacher meeting was meant to be Tuesday as well, so I suppose that will have to be postponed.

Funnily enough I live in O'Keefe's constituency and quite close to his house actually, so you'd think he might have left it up to the local boards of management if he knew things were running smoothly in a few places anyway. :pac:

Why do you think he should have the decision earlier?

Telling people on a Friday re coming in on Monday is more than enough time

Cian92 wrote: »
    I presume you go to school in Ballincollig? I thought the roads weren't bad here in Cork either. My school was closed and maybe twenty minutes away from you, and the roads are lethal!

Yep, and most people managed to make it in, bar a few people who live in rural areas. Thought that there would be more out, considering all the people from Blarney, Tower etc.

dolliemix wrote: »
    Why do you think he should have the decision earlier?

Telling people on a Friday re coming in on Monday is more than enough time

Why not tell us on Tuesday or Wednesday instead of first saying that they'd leave the decision to the board of management? He made a u-turn when the boards of management/ principals were doing a fairly good job in deciding whether to stay open or not imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Does anyone know if we will have to make the days up at the summer or at the February mid term?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement