Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* School closures due to weather - link to RTE list in first post *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

MultiUmm wrote: »
    Why not tell us on Tuesday or Wednesday instead of first saying that they'd leave the decision to the board of management? He made a u-turn when the boards of management/ principals were doing a fairly good job in deciding whether to stay open or not imo.

There's no u-turn!

He let BOMs decide this week because in some parts of the country the weather wasn't that bad this week. And all decisions were local issues.

Yesterday the Government announced that they were setting up an Emergency Response Committee. And that all action was to be taken on a national level as a result of salt levels being so low. They need prioritise the worse hit areas and the main transport routes with whatever supplies of salt they have.

So that kind of national decision could only have been called today.

As much as I can't stand Batt O Keeffe. I think everything has been in order this time round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

Does anyone know if we will have to make the days up at the summer or at the February mid term?

If schools are off for a month then there probably won't be a mid-term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

If schools are off for a month then there probably won't be a mid-term.

What do you mean a month? I thought the schools were just off on Monday, Tuesday and Wednsday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

What do you mean a month? I thought the schools were just off on Monday, Tuesday and Wednsday?

If

Ha! No school till Feb 8th! :D

• Advertisement

If

I still don't get it. Is it likely schools will remain closed for a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

dolliemix wrote: »
    There's no u-turn!

He let BOMs decide this week because in some parts of the country the weather wasn't that bad this week. And all decisions were local issues.

Yesterday the Government announced that they were setting up an Emergency Response Committee. And that all action was to be taken on a national level as a result of salt levels being so low. They need prioritise the worse hit areas and the main transport routes with whatever supplies of salt they have.

So that kind of national decision could only have been called today.

As much as I can't stand Batt O Keeffe. I think everything has been in order this time round!

:rolleyes: Alright, I'm only making my point known, no need to have a small fit about it.

If the schools are shut then the schools are shut. I'll say no more. :)

I still don't get it. Is it likely schools will remain closed for a month?

NO. that was a joke

NO. that was a joke

Went waaaaaay over my head.

MultiUmm wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Alright, I'm only making my point known, no need to have a small fit about it.

If the schools are shut then the schools are shut. I'll say no more. :)

I wasn't having a fit!!!! :confused:

Whats with the patronising remark? It's a discussion forum!!! If anything you need to relax. You're rolling your eyes, why? Because I didn't agree with your point of view?

I'm just explaining how it came about.

It's easy to complain about somebody - but if you're not taking in the whole picture you could be fueling others to go and repeat your 'point' as fact.

There are procedures involved in these decisions.

If you did your research properly before posting and read this website - you might'd feel so upset when your misinformed views are contradicted :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 12345678910

Does anyone know if we will have to make the days up at the summer or at the February mid term?
    No we won't have to make it up. Do you really think they are going to try and keep us in until the 8th of June?? Think about it, even if they tried they wouldn't succeed. I for one will be in very sparingly after around the 20th of May as by then the teachers have taught me all they can and its down to me.
    At the minute though it is really annoying because it should never have happened. We may say it's not Batt O' Keefe's fault, that it's down to health and safety but really it is, I mean if we had a proper Government, the roads wouldn't be half as bad as we would have had them gritted properly. I don't know of many other countries that have to pretty much shut down after maybe two inches of snow in most places.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

I wasn't having a fit!!!! :confused:

Whats with the patronising remark? It's a discussion forum!!! If anything you need to relax. You're rolling your eyes, why? Because I didn't agree with your point of view?

I'm just explaining how it came about.

It's easy to complain about somebody - but if you're not taking in the whole picture you could be fueling others to go and repeat your 'point' as fact.

There are procedures involved in these decisions.

If you did your research properly before posting and read this website - you might'd feel so upset when your misinformed views are contradicted :)

Alright, maybe I did go a little overboard, but like I said: "If the schools are shut then the schools are shut. I'll say no more".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Great.

More time that I'll be expected to spend time studying - and won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yenoBAYUB

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Great.

More time that I'll be expected to spend time studying - and won't.

well if ur not going to do it u can hardly complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

OK I'm not 100% but talking to a teacher, they don't think we will have to make up these days because it was a national thing not just an isolated incident.. and we wouldn't be in until the 8th of June for the record we would be in during Feb mid term.. =]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Sorry to go off topic, this is pretty funny though,

the dangers of shopping in this weather = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CT0a-Hgumo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 st0ned z0mbie

anyone know if fifth year institute will have until thursday off as well?

Schools who are unaffected want to remain open.

then let them! apparently this has been declared a national emergency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

anyone know if fifth year institute will have until thursday off as well?

No mate back in on Tuesday to much money at stake and time for this bull****

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

This might be a stupid question, but anyway:

Here in Dundalk there is hardly any snow left. I can't see it being that bad for the next few days. Can the schools open to if they want to, or do they have to wait until Thursday because this is a national thing? (Public schools by the way)

This might be a stupid question, but anyway:

Here in Dundalk there is hardly any snow left. I can't see it being that bad for the next few days. Can the schools open to if they want to, or do they have to wait until Thursday because this is a national thing? (Public schools by the way)

Hmm, AFAIK they have to close because its a national thing! The minister is due to make an announcement tomorrow, I reckon he's going to say that its at the schools descretion(sp?) whether they want to close or not! I'm hoping we get to stay off until Thursday, I've great plans for my study over the next few days, and I wont be able to do it if I'm stuck in school!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Jsut heard on Todayfm, it is now up to the individual school to decide to open tomorrow or not! Feck it anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

load of ****. my school is kinda all over the place so i'll just pretend i didn't know

awh no :( i really could of used those extra days to study, i had great plans :( Cause im not even gonna lie i do nothing in school anyways except talk and eat

Bat has screwed this up badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

another ministerial screw-up, FF will be lucky to have any seats left after the general election (which is hopefully sooner rather than later)

Bat has screwed this up badly.

AGREED

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

It is quite bad =/. I think he should have just left the schools closed rather than on-off. It's hectic enough as it is and that was the first thing set in stone since the beginning of this year so far.

• Advertisement

Orlaladuck wrote: »
    It is quite bad =/. I think he should have just left the schools closed rather than on-off. It's hectic enough as it is and that was the first thing set in stone since the beginning of this year so far.

True. Everyones had their moan about the schools being closed, and now over the weekend been able to work out their study plans etc., and now he drops this bombshell? Im so glad i can vote now, im gonna make myself the next miinister!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement