Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling holes in solid walls

• 05-01-2010 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Where I live there are several holes in the internal walls, left by previous tenant. They vary in diameter, from 4 to 10 mm (yes, they are quite large). The walls are all made of cavity blocks, so there's no gap. Could anybody recommend a product and, possibly, some instructions, on how to proceed to fill them? Also, is it possible to fill them in such a way that they won't "crumble" if somebody will drill nearby? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There are numerous products you could use. I think I would just get a plastic tube of ready mixed filler, squirt it into the holes.

It might crumble if you were to drill a hole that encroached on the one the filler was in, so for that you would need something a lot tougher. You could do something easy like buy a tube of evostik Gripfil and squirt it into the holes from the cartridge, but you would likely only use a tiny fraction of the cartridge and have to throw the rest away.

Two part epoxy putty would be another tough, drillable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Thanks cnocbui, my question about "drilling nearby" is that, if the result is as good as I expect, we (or a future tenant) will forget where the holes were. I'm not planning to "fill and drill", it was just a precaution. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My first suggestion then, in that case. :)

Advertisement