Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License Conditions

Options
  • 05-01-2010 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A mate of mine who lives in the naas district has had his .22 swift licence renewed, but there's a condition on the license that he can only shoot on the lands that were stated in the permission letters. Basically he has to get written permission off each farmer and supply them to AGS so as not to be in breach of his license conditions.

The same fella has a stalking rifle is awaiting a similar condition on the new license. He applied on time, and was part of the first batch of "renewals"

Has anybody else gotten silly conditions attached to their license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Thats not right Jointy, a friend of mine was having the same problem in a different area, the local guards were looking for permission letters for all the lands he shoots and telling him to fill in the bit about restricted licences on the form, He got on to the FPU in the Phoneix park and I think it was sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I am a member of a target shooting club and I also put down hunting on my new application for a .223 rifle and I was asked for written permission from each land owner, just a signed note, nothing major!

I thought this would be the norm and don't see a problem with it. Even if its not written in law, imho its no harm for the local Guards to know what land is being used for shooting, in case of a complaint, accident, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

murph226 wrote: »
    I am a member of a target shooting club and I also put down hunting on my new application for a .223 rifle and I was asked for written permission from each land owner, just a signed note, nothing major!

I thought this would be the norm and don't see a problem with it. Even if its not written in law, imho its no harm for the local Guards to know what land is being used for shooting, in case of a complaint, accident, etc.

Well its like this, if a farmer has 1000 acres, it only means one letter, but 20 farmers that have 50 acres is 20 letters.

If he had to get every letter off every farmer, he'd be submitting a folder to the guards. And not to mention the poor farmer that might have to supply 5 or 6 letters, because a verbal "shoot away!!" is no longer good enough in Naas.

But did you get a condition placed on your license limiting your use to these areas only?

And if I was unfortunate enough to live in the Naas district I'd be in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

murph226 wrote: »

what happens if you go shooting on a mates land this is total rubbish and the lack of consistency from the guards is a joke

Is the condition actually on the licence he has revieved or is it the guards telling him that he's only allowed shoot on land he has given permissions for. Around here 50 acres is a big farm!!! and they are all broken up into little bits here and there. The only consistancy about the new licencing system it the inconsistancy in which it is being applied around the country!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Jonty wrote: »
    Well its like this, if a farmer has 1000 acres, it only means one letter, but 20 farmers that have 50 acres is 20 letters.

If he had to get every letter off every farmer, he'd be submitting a folder to the guards. And not to mention the poor farmer that might have to supply 5 or 6 letters, because a verbal "shoot away!!" is no longer good enough in Naas.

But did you get a condition placed on your license limiting your use to these areas only?

And if I was unfortunate enough to live in the Naas district I'd be in the same boat.

50 x 20 = 1000 , yep your dead right Jonty.:D

sorry to say supers have the power now to do very much as they please.

my guy years back when i looked for the first note for my mod,i gave him a coillte permit for 2,000 acres .he limited me to the use of the mod on that ground only.
    when i tackled him on it ,stating i had access to over 30,000 acres and had to use it on a range he did not want to know.
    naas sees a lot of poaching cases im sure the super is being a bit OTT.

Thanks for the comments lads. My mate is gonna ring the FPU and see. The condition smacks me as something similar to the dumb condition in the guidelines issued to superintendants about swifts and .223s being "more dangerous" and should onlt be used in lowland areas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Thanks for the comments lads. My mate is gonna ring the FPU and see. The condition smacks me as something similar to the dumb condition in the guidelines issued to superintendants about swifts and .223s being "more dangerous" and should onlt be used in lowland areas??

highland :eek:

yeah i was just thinking about that!!

But you get the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Yep, highland. Not a problem for me here, but ridiculous for any lowlander types. I don't agree with the written permission craic either, it's just not how things are done in this part of the world. Fine for the UK where things are a lot more, how do I say, "formal". Completely different word of mouth culture here, people don't like putting their names to bits of paper.

• Advertisement

I remember simply because I've a swift and I live in a "lowland" area and was expecting grief, luckily I didn't get much :eek:

johngalway wrote: »
    ............I don't agree with the written permission craic either, it's just not how things are done in this part of the world. Fine for the UK where things are a lot more, how do I say, "formal". Completely different word of mouth culture here, people don't like putting their names to bits of paper.

+1

Yep, highland. Not a problem for me here, but ridiculous for any lowlander types. I don't agree with the written permission craic either, it's just not how things are done in this part of the world. Fine for the UK where things are a lot more, how do I say, "formal". Completely different word of mouth culture here, people don't like putting their names to bits of paper.

That was my friends problem too he had hundreds of permissions, but of the informal type, He couldn't rember half the farmers names never mind getting them to sign a piece of paper, it would take him months too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

where did the 1000 acre part of this thread come from. am i missing something, was the lad asked to supply written land permission of 1000 acres for his .22 swift?

Johnner, I only used the 1000 acres as an example.

No the OP siad there was a condition on his friends licence that he could only shoot on the lands he had written permission on and handed in as part of his application. The 1000 acres came in down the thread a bit!! but it is relevant. In an ideal world the Guards may be correct we should have written permission for each piece of land we shoot on however this is not an ideal world and a lot of farmers will not want to be signing permission letters. If you have only a few permissions then its no real problem if you have a lot then it is!! and as far as I am aware it not required at all.Let us know how your friend gets on with the FPU jointy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

thats ok for a minute i taught they wanted 1000 as someone else said something about 20 x 50 letters:eek:

hope he gets it sorted;)

Thanks Lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I don't see even the remotest need for it. Verbal permission from the land owner is more than enough for me. If the cops get a call about something going on then it's their job to go out and snoop about. If they find me on a bit of land I'm shooting over I've no problem producing my license and showing them the serial no. of my gun. I would also not have a problem directing them to the landowners house and giving them his/her phone number.

What the hell more do they need? If I'm telling them a bunch of lies, all they need do is check, either I'm telling the truth, or, I'm not.

More paperwork = more jobs for the boys and it's a really really bad idea.

More paperwork = more jobs for the boys and it's a really really bad idea.

Unless you are one of the boys!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Sorry, I didn't think about it like that, sounds like a bit of a joke alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Tricky1127

I`ve had moderators on the rifles for years i mostly hunt, this year on the back of the licence "Silencer Only To Be Used On Authorised Range" i`m a member of two hunting townland clubs and one club that has an authorised range for .22 short round max (could be .22 long round max) i own .260Rem and .308Win if i go out shooting with out the moderators how long before the phones ring and people at the door no make that kicking the door ,Any time i talk to the local Super at the end i feel 2" tall and a Rambo want to be or a "crime lord" waiting to happen, For years all the firearm licence holders could have a chat will the Firearms Officer but since last year its more like them and us Whats coming down the pipe? i`ve a bad feeling for my sport/pass time
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Tricky1127

A Friend is big into Air rifles putting holes in paper type of thing he had B4 on his licence 500 Rounds so this year asked for it go up to 600 and he put a letter in to say that when he was running low he could get a new tin with 500 in it and in the letter saying he would never have more than 600...! Gets the licence and it says 250 on it so rings the local FO and is told you can buy them in tins of 200 and the 50 is for when your running low. 1st Its an Air Rifle, 2snd If you Know him you know that all his spare time goes into targets/paper shooting and 250 is duck all, :confused:

My brother and a friend of mine and I were refused a moderator for a 22lr :eek:

I applied for 1000 on all my licences (4) member of Midlands security ok the lot got 100 and it was amended to 250 on each after I queried it :rolleyes:

My Super is same story

Ya I reckon bad days ahead :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Tricky1127 wrote: »
    A Friend is big into Air rifles putting holes in paper type of thing he had B4 on his licence 500 Rounds so this year asked for it go up to 600 and he put a letter in to say that when he was running low he could get a new tin with 500 in it and in the letter saying he would never have more than 600...! Gets the licence and it says 250 on it so rings the local FO and is told you can buy them in tins of 200 and the 50 is for when your running low. 1st Its an Air Rifle, 2snd If you Know him you know that all his spare time goes into targets/paper shooting and 250 is duck all, :confused:
    Had the same problem - put in for 10,000 on the air rifle so that I could get two sleeves (batch testing pellets is part of the plan over the next year or two), got a licence with 100 pellets on it. Which was fun, since you can only buy tins of 500 for ISSF air rifle unless you're getting those R10 trays that have 100 in each... but they're sold in sleeves of five anyway. The local FO wrote a hand-written note on the back of the licence letter for me because I was headed for Finland a few days later, but I've still got to get it properly sorted (reminds me, time to download that form and fill it out!).

Advertisement