Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting to get really irritated now!

• 05-01-2010 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

My xbox live isn't working and I've tried everything. Yes I searched the forum and tried all that so heres the story:

Xbox live worked fine during the xtivital thingy then i got mw2 for xmas and i tried logging on to no avail.

I'm on eircom broadband with its standard router. The xbox is upstairs and router is downstairs and i use my laptop and the ethernet cable to xbox to pick up the wireless through ics. Now this set up works because i've been using it for years but ip address fails. I get a 169. ip address 255. other thing but it doesn't find a gateway?

Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

The 169 ip address is the default IP for windows.
    It basically means that the xbox isn't getting an ip.. so something is wrong with the ICS setup.
    Double check you have it enabled on the right network cards/interfaces and that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

My xbox live isn't working and I've tried everything. Yes I searched the forum and tried all that so heres the story:

Xbox live worked fine during the xtivital thingy then i got mw2 for xmas and i tried logging on to no avail.

I'm on eircom broadband with its standard router. The xbox is upstairs and router is downstairs and i use my laptop and the ethernet cable to xbox to pick up the wireless through ics. Now this set up works because i've been using it for years but ip address fails. I get a 169. ip address 255. other thing but it doesn't find a gateway?

Please help

So you're connecting to the internet on your laptop via Wireless and sharing that through your ethernet port to your xbox?

When you enable ICS you'll find your IP address for your ethernet connection was set to 192.168.0.1. You'll have to set your xbox IP address manually to 192.168.0.2. Also make sure the subnets match for the ethernet connection & xbox. This'll let the two machines see each other. After that any problem you have should be related to ICS on your laptop, your xbox should be good to go ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭alexcorb1991

So you're connecting to the internet on your laptop via Wireless and sharing that through your ethernet port to your xbox?

When you enable ICS you'll find your IP address for your ethernet connection was set to 192.168.0.1. You'll have to set your xbox IP address manually to 192.168.0.2. Also make sure the subnets match for the ethernet connection & xbox. This'll let the two machines see each other. After that any problem you have should be related to ICS on your laptop, your xbox should be good to go ;)

When i type ipconfig in cmdprompt i get this:
    Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::fd95:2b14:1d40:d201%11
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9880:a615:4147:f003%10
       Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.240.3
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

see how my ip address is different from what you said does that mean anything

When i type ipconfig in cmdprompt i get this:
    Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::fd95:2b14:1d40:d201%11
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9880:a615:4147:f003%10
       Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.240.3
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

see how my ip address is different from what you said does that mean anything

Your ethernet adapter Local Area connection is not set up properly. Are you running Windows XP or Vista/7?

vista home premium

• Advertisement

Start -> Control Panel -> Network & Sharing Center -> Change Adapter Settings / Manage Network Connections (left hand pane near the top).

Right Click "Wireless Connection" -> Properties -> Sharing. Tick the box that says "Allow other users to connect to the internet through this connection". Click OK.

Now when you right click on "Local Area Connection" and click Properties go to the "Internet Protocol v4 TCP/IPv4" item on the Networking tab and click properties. You should notice that there is an IP address filled in already. I'm on Windows 7 but the IP address and subnet filled in for me was 192.168.137.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0.

Whatever that is, go to your xbox settings, network settings, manual ip address, and put in 192.168.137.2 and subnet 255.255.255.0. You can put in gateway as whatever the IP of the computer was (192.168.137.1).

And you should be done. The xbox should be able to communicate with the computer.

Please note that if you're not connecting them with a switch/hub then you may need a "crossover" cable. This is not the same as the xbox 360 cable. If your laptop is relatively new then it should be able to crossover the data pins all by itself. But keep this in mind if the above doesn't work.

Start -> Control Panel -> Network & Sharing Center -> Change Adapter Settings / Manage Network Connections (left hand pane near the top).

Right Click "Wireless Connection" -> Properties -> Sharing. Tick the box that says "Allow other users to connect to the internet through this connection". Click OK.

Now when you right click on "Local Area Connection" and click Properties go to the "Internet Protocol v4 TCP/IPv4" item on the Networking tab and click properties. You should notice that there is an IP address filled in already. I'm on Windows 7 but the IP address and subnet filled in for me was 192.168.137.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0.

Whatever that is, go to your xbox settings, network settings, manual ip address, and put in 192.168.137.2 and subnet 255.255.255.0. You can put in gateway as whatever the IP of the computer was (192.168.137.1).

And you should be done. The xbox should be able to communicate with the computer.

Please note that if you're not connecting them with a switch/hub then you may need a "crossover" cable. This is not the same as the xbox 360 cable. If your laptop is relatively new then it should be able to crossover the data pins all by itself. But keep this in mind if the above doesn't work.

it says obtain ip addresses automatically iinstead of the defining the address

it says obtain ip addresses automatically iinstead of the defining the address

Maybe Vista is being a super bi*ch then :D

Change it to manually specify IP address.

Enter 192.168.137.1 and subnet of 255.255.255.0. Click OK.

Continue with the rest of my post :)

holy crap it worked! Well sort of......now the dns setting please:)

holy crap it worked! Well sort of......now the dns setting please:)

DNS settings for the xbox should be 192.168.137.1 (the IP of the ethernet connection).

I don't believe you need to enter DNS settings on the ethernet connection on the pc, it should auto-route traffic to the interwebs

• Advertisement

it says
    Your DNS server can't resolve the names of the Xbox LIVE servers or xbox.com

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Alexzont

Make sure you cleared the NAT settings on your Xbox in network setting, I had big problems with it to

where do i find what dns numbers do i put in since i can't have it on auto find on the pc since ip address is manually defined on pc

found them but now my NAT is strict ( never had this problem before). I did the nat custom services thing in the eircom thing but its still strict

where do i find what dns numbers do i put in since i can't have it on auto find on the pc since ip address is manually defined on pc

found them but now my NAT is strict ( never had this problem before). I did the nat custom services thing in the eircom thing but its still strict

Turn off your computer firewall, see if that helps at all.

DNS numbers can be found by typing ipconfig /all at a command prompt window.

You will see DNS servers under your Wireless connection. Put them into the Local Area Connection properties box. Then on the xbox put the DNS in as 192.168.137.1 (ip of ethernet port).

Advertisement