Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Training v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Watching Cork being humbled by the cats...not pretty.

VR will have his tail up in Ballycotton I fear, we'll have to sort that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

tisnotover wrote: »
    VR will have his tail up in Ballycotton I fear, we'll have to sort that ;)

and if we somehow get past Tipp...i fear for the final.

Roll on Ballycotton....i am looking forward to it
    it will be nice to meet ye again

Sosa wrote: »
    and if we somehow get past Tipp...i fear for the final.

Roll on Ballycotton....i am looking forward to it
    it will be nice to meet ye again

+1 Sosa, be good to meet up again ! I wonder is Mick Rice running ;)

+1 Sosa, be good to meet up again ! I wonder is Mick Rice running ;)

He did the streets of galway last night in 27:50/51....
    surely he could pace 28:30 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Swim lesson today and it was not a confidence boosting experience at all...as I suspected my kick/leg action is terrible..using a float and kicking with straight legs I basically make no forward progress whatsoever! I'm back completely to square one on the kicking and basically the instructor said I should spend the next 3 weeks working on kicking with the float. On a positive note my stroke is good but doing it combined with the right kicking motion will be difficult to get right in 3 weeks. So a lot of work to do but should speed up an awful lot if I can get the kicking right.

• Advertisement

Monday PM: 6.3miles easy at avg pace 7:40

tuesday lunch: Swimming again. Concentrating on the on the kicking once more. This was really frustrating again but started to make some forward motion towards the end. Interspersed the kciking drills with some swimming and kicking the correct way and while it seemed totally alien at the beginning, towards the end I could see a glimmer of hope that it was becoming doable. Swam 2 lengths with a float between my legs, no kicking, and I glided through the water so much easier...my legs really were a big anchor on me. Hopefully the wetsuit in the sea will negate a lot of my weak kicking (I'm kicking at the moment only to keep the legs up towards the surface rather than getting any forward propulsion from them)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

tuesday lunch: Swimming again. Concentrating on the on the kicking once more. This was really frustrating again but started to make some forward motion towards the end. Interspersed the kciking drills with some swimming and kicking the correct way and while it seemed totally alien at the beginning, towards the end I could see a glimmer of hope that it was becoming doable. Swam 2 lengths with a float between my legs, no kicking, and I glided through the water so much easier...my legs really were a big anchor on me. Hopefully the wetsuit in the sea will negate a lot of my weak kicking (I'm kicking at the moment only to keep the legs up towards the surface rather than getting any forward propulsion from them)

The wetsuit will definitely help as your legs will be more bouyant. Are your ankles loose doing those kicking drills. I remember when I first started doing them. I would struggle to make it to the other end while other flew up and down. The difference now is my legs don't kick as much if you know what I mean. I kind of let them trail behind me, create a little kick from the hips (which is magnified at the feet) and let the ankles flutter. Before I kicked from the knee and my ankles were too stiff. Fins help to get a feel for the sensation too.

interested is a good man to ask about this.

Tuesday pm: plan was tempo with 5 miles @ 6:15 pace. 1.5 miles into the tempo i was doubting i'd be able to hold the pace for 5 and the demons were at me telling me it'd be ok to do 2 x 2 miles instead especially as the legs were tired from all the swim kicking. Stuck at it though and did 5 miles at avg pace 6:14, very steady pacing throughout also. Really great feeling when you hit the target in a tempo...it's not easy. Total 8 miles at avg pace 7:30

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Tuesday pm: plan was tempo with 5 miles @ 6:15 pace. 1.5 miles into the tempo i was doubting i'd be able to hold the pace for 5 and the demons were at me telling me it'd be ok to do 2 x 2 miles instead especially as the legs were tired from all the swim kicking. Stuck at it though and did 5 miles at avg pace 6:14, very steady pacing throughout also. Really great feeling when you hit the target in a tempo...it's not easy. Total 8 miles at avg pace 7:30

Well done Gringo, It's a great feeling when despite the demons you finish the session..
    Met a few of them myself tonight..

• Advertisement

Wednesday am: woke up before alarm went off so got a 2.3 mile recovery run in 8:30 pace

Wednesday lunch: 30min spinning bike with 20 @ FTP sweet spot. 7min on treadmill to cool down (I pretty much run 5min at least after all bike sessions, the legs almost expect to run off the bike now)

Thursday: plan was 5 x 1200m @ 5:35 pace with 2 min jog recovery. Really struggled on this from 3rd rep. Reps were 5:30p 5:34p 5:48p 5:48p 5:47p. Didn't hit the required pace but happy I completed all the reps especially as I was on tired legs. total: 6.6 miles avg pace 7:01

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Thursday: plan was 5 x 1200m @ 5:35 pace with 2 min jog recovery. Really struggled on this from 3rd rep. Reps were 5:30p 5:34p 5:48p 5:48p 5:47p. Didn't hit the required pace but happy I completed all the reps especially as I was on tired legs. total: 6.6 miles avg pace 7:01

do you think the 1st rep was a little too fast and so caused the rest of the reps to drop off?
    read into interval pacing before and it seams that the most common mistake is to run them too fast....although it was prob only a 4sec difference between rep1 and rep2?
    still though, 2mins recovery is on the shorter end of things for that duration of interval, good session, and plenty time running at vO2max!

will serve you well for ballycotton

seanynova wrote: »
    do you think the 1st rep was a little too fast and so caused the rest of the reps to drop off?
    read into interval pacing before and it seams that the most common mistake is to run them too fast....although it was prob only a 4sec difference between rep1 and rep2?
    still though, 2mins recovery is on the shorter end of things for that duration of interval, good session, and plenty time running at vO2max

Yeah I overcooked it a bit on the first rep....5 sec is enough to have a knock on effect. One prob with going out too fast on pacey intervals is your running gets raggedy when you start to fade and then there's an increased risk of injury. I held a pace on reps 3,4 & 5 that still had me maintaining good running form even though body was screaming at me to quit.

Sat: 5 miles easy pushing buggy avg pace 7:40

Sun: 6.5 miles easy avg pace 7:30

Monday pm: plan was 5 miles @ tempo 6:10p. After 3 miles @ 6:10p I threw in the towel...HR was hitting above 178 which was far too high. Prob should have waited till tomorrow to do this as I was knackered but still, not too bad that I jacked it early...should be able to do intervals Wednesday now which will be last hard session before ballycotton. Training load has been upped the last 3 weeks so legs are obviously feeling it and need a rest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Monday pm: plan was 5 miles @ tempo 6:10p. After 3 miles @ 6:10p I threw in the towel...HR was hitting above 178 which was far too high. Prob should have waited till tomorrow to do this as I was knackered but still, not too bad that I jacked it early...should be able to do intervals Wednesday now which will be last hard session before ballycotton. Training load has been upped the last 3 weeks so legs are obviously feeling it and need a rest

we all have mysterious off days - best to get it out of the way before the race :). sounds sensible not to push it if you werent feeling good. Good luck in ballycotton!

we all have mysterious off days - best to get it out of the way before the race :). sounds sensible not to push it if you werent feeling good. Good luck in ballycotton!

Thanks. Prob was nothing more than tiredness. Checked my logs and i had 12 hours training in the last fortnight which was more than the combined 4 weeks previous to that...so just the step up in training, lack of sleep over weekend and trying to do a tempo after minimal sleep, a 5 hour drive and 8 hours work. Really should have waited until today

Tuesday: swimming today, making slow progress in swimming with correct stroke. Gave running a break this evening and played pitch n putt (badly) instead.

• Advertisement

Wednesday: intervals, 5 x 1km at 5:30 pace w/2min jog recovery. First 3 reps were comfortable (relatively speaking) but found it a battle on the last rep...wouldn't have fancied a 6th rep. Glad I jacked the tempo early now on Monday and took a break yesterday evening.

Wednesday: intervals, 5 x 5km at 5:30 pace w/2min jog recovery. First 3 reps were comfortable (relatively speaking) but found it a battle on the last rep...wouldn't have fancied a 6th rep. Glad I jacked the tempo early now on Monday and took a break yesterday evening.

Nice one Gringo, ure putting it up to us with the pace on those intervals!
    Not long now till Ballycotton :-)

Nice one Gringo, ure putting it up to us with the pace on those intervals!
    Not long now till Ballycotton :-)

Yeah, I've surpassed the pace I thought I'd need to hit in the intervals, but coming up a bit short on the tempo....still its only 5 miles not 10 so probably better to be hitting the intervals???? Ballycotton will be a good race....I won't be too concerned with times or PB's as I should beat 29:38 even if I blow up.

Wednesday: intervals, 5 x 5km at 5:30 pace w/2min jog recovery. First 3 reps were comfortable (relatively speaking) but found it a battle on the last rep...wouldn't have fancied a 6th rep. Glad I jacked the tempo early now on Monday and took a break yesterday evening.

is that right gringo? 5 x 5k @5:30m/m!!! you sure you dont mean 5 x 1k? serious session with 2min recovery!

Yeah, I've surpassed the pace I thought I'd need to hit in the intervals, but coming up a bit short on the tempo....still its only 5 miles not 10 so probably better to be hitting the intervals???? Ballycotton will be a good race....I won't be too concerned with times or PB's as I should beat 29:38 even if I blow up.

No, I think you've the balance on both just right, you did 3miles at a good tempo other day and fast intervals today so all good.

Its the tempo I need to get cracking on for the Cork half, not sure if I'll be ready, but its Waterford is the 'A' race for half later in year !

is that right gringo? 5 x 5k @5:30m/m!!! you sure you dont mean 5 x 1k? serious session with 2min recovery!

That's correct seany - 5x5k. After beating my 5k PB on the first rep by 40sec I took a 2min recovery and went for it again.....and again...yeah, well spotted. Was 5x1km.

Although 5x5km with 2min jog recovery at PMP would be a good Wednesday workout in marathon training...if I was a 2:25 marathoner i'd be hitting the reps at 5:30 pace......

That's correct seany - 5x5k. After beating my 5k PB on the first rep by 40sec I took a 2min recovery and went for it again.....and again...yeah, well spotted. Was 5x1km.

Although 5x5km with 2min jog recovery at PMP would be a good Wednesday workout in marathon training...if I was a 2:25 marathoner i'd be hitting the reps at 5:30 pace......

thats a good way to set the bar high, 5 x 5k @ 5:30m/m PMP...maybe you should give DCM a go! ;)

anyway, 5 x 1k is solid running with 2mins recovery. going good for ballycotton 5.

i was going to ballycotton 5 but am not going to bother now as its more important that i work on the marathon training, will do the cork half in a few weeks instead....

i was going to ballycotton 5 but am not going to bother now as its more important that i work on the marathon training, will do the cork half in a few weeks instead....

You're dead right...a half is a much more useful race when training for a marathon...I think a 5 mile race just inferferes with training and your time is better spent doing a good midweek session and a good weekend long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Wednesday: intervals, 5 x 1km at 5:30 pace w/2min jog recovery. First 3 reps were comfortable (relatively speaking) but found it a battle on the last rep...wouldn't have fancied a 6th rep. Glad I jacked the tempo early now on Monday and took a break yesterday evening.
    Great improvement over the last week or two. Well done.

• Advertisement

good session gringo..well done.

You posted a while back about the route for the 5m...did you have a link ?

Was it a mile downhill,then a 3m loop and the same first mile but uphill ?

Advertisement