Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Training v2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Whats the plan sunday Gringo ?? Race it ?
    On antibiotics myself. Going to run it but dont know what the body will be like. Wear the heart rate monitor and decide from there maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Decided not to race it/run it. No long run last 2 weekends and only 9 weeks to marathon! So going to get an 18 miler in this weekend instead. Will probably do only 2 races now before connemara - ballycotton on March 21st and a 5 miler, most likely Eagle 5 on Feb 28th

Whats the plan sunday Gringo ?? Race it ?
    On antibiotics myself.

I'd skip it if on the Antibiotics! Whats to gain??

Feb 3rd

5.5 miles easy, hilly @ avg pace 7:30, avg HR 151

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I'd skip it if on the Antibiotics! Whats to gain??

Have a full car going down. As i am driving. Do an easy 10. 70 min odd if not slower. I want to tip over and then be frsh by nxt week.

• Advertisement

Have a full car going down. As i am driving. Do an easy 10. 70 min odd if not slower. I want to tip over and then be frsh by nxt week.

Ah well, thats different and explains it so. fair enough if people are depending on you. You could make it a 9 mle PMP run then? Warm-up with a mile or 2 before the race, easy into for the first mile and then knock out 9 miles at 6:30?

Feb 4th

Planned interval session 4x2km @ 6:00 pace.

Actual mile pace for splits were:
    6:01 (169) + 3min recovery
    5:58 (171) + 3min recovery
    6:05 (174) + 2:35 recovery
    6:04 (173)

Tough conditions today, windy and very wet so lots of dodging puddles with very soggy (i.e heavy) runners. Best interval session so far as the recovery's were shorter than other weeks and I was comfortable with the pace.

Total: 7.2 miles @ avg pace 6:40, avg HR 163

Ah well, thats different and explains it so. fair enough if people are depending on you. You could make it a 9 mle PMP run then? Warm-up with a mile or 2 before the race, easy into for the first mile and then knock out 9 miles at 6:30?

Got tooth out today so it might be a good idea. Bought a polar today so i am going to leave the garmin at home and and do a heart rate run.

Feb 5th

5.5 miles easy, hilly @ avg pace 7:43, avg HR 152

How was your HR last sunday ???
    When is the nxt race ??

• Advertisement

How was your HR last sunday ???
    When is the nxt race ??

Avg HR was 170, twas less than 170 for first 4 miles and only then got up to what it would normally be for tempo runs, so was a little lower than normal. I've a resting HR of 36 and max of 191 so 170 is 86% HRR, would expect to normally 88% for 10 mile race.

Next definite race is Ballycotton 10 on march 21st but will most likely also run Eagle 5 in carrigaline on Feb 28th. Main race is still obviously Connemarathon so not too pushed about doing any races shorter than 10 miles.

Feb 6th

9.7 miles easy, hilly @ avg pace 7:16, avg HR 147.

Marathon Training So Far:

Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3|Wk 4
    26.6|37.5|46.1|36.1

Wk 5|Wk 6|Wk 7|Wk 8
    38.1|||

Avg mpw: 36.7

Tempo|Interval|PMP|LSR|Race|Recovery|Easy
    4|5|2|1|1|6|10

Seriously lacking on the LSR's.....only 7 full weeks training to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Like the tables Gringo !

Sosa wrote: »
    Like the tables Gringo !

Do they look in any way familiar? Shamelessly lifted from your log, cheers!

Feb 8th

Plan was tempo session with 6 miles @ 6:15 pace. Managed 6 @ 6:10, avg HR for the tempo miles 171.

Total: 7.1 miles at avg HR 167 avg pace 6:27

Very happy with this one, my fastest tempo to date and felt strong doing it. To get to 6:10 pace for the 6 mile tempo sessions was the aim towards the tail end of this marathon training block and didn't expect to be already at that pace now so will try to hold this now consistently for the next few weeks.

I think if I could get the tempo sessions up to 6:05 pace in training, I'll definetly be having a crack off sub 60 in ballycotton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

I think if I could get the tempo sessions up to 6:05 pace in training, I'll definetly be having a crack off sub 60 in ballycotton.

great session again lad, think they give out shirts to top 100 in Ballycotton, aim for it!

Feb 9th

4.7 miles at avg pace 7:29, avg HR 146

Feb 11th

Interval Session: Plan was 3 x 1.5miles @ 6:00 pace.

Splits were 6:01 (170) / 5:59 (176) / 6:01 (177). Jog Recovery of 3min after each rep.

Tough one today, struggled to complete the last rep, was mind over mattter stuff but you get a great sense of accomplishment when you grind out the last one and hit the target. Was sick yesterday so no running and still not 100% today so very happy with todays session.

Total: 6.3 miles at avg pace 6:43, avg HR 164

Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3|Wk 4
    26.6|37.5|46.1|36.1

Wk 5|Wk 6|Wk 7|Wk 8
    38.1|18.1||

Avg mpw: 33.6

Bad week last week...bad cold early part of the week and then vomiting bug since last thursday so only 3 days running...still in a heap so won't get to run today either. Still managed to get good tempo and interval session in so won't have lost too much ground. Connemara in 8 weeks time looking more like a fun run now but not too worried as I'm definetly doing Cork now so Cork will the sub 3 attempt, connemara will be to toughen me up :)

• Advertisement

Bad week last week...bad cold early part of the week and then vomiting bug since last thursday so only 3 days running...still in a heap so won't get to run today either. Still managed to get good tempo and interval session in so won't have lost too much ground. Connemara in 8 weeks time looking more like a fun run now but not too worried as I'm definetly doing Cork now so Cork will the sub 3 attempt, connemara will be to toughen me up :)

Nothing worse than getting sick lad, that vomiting bug is nasty stuff! Ya def won't have lost much tho with speedwork you've been doing.

Something to bounce off ya now tho, but would ya not think of giving Connemara a skip, if ure on for Cork as the sub-3. I'm just thining it might take more from you than you'd gain?in terms of training/tapering for it and recovery?

tisnotover wrote: »
    Something to bounce off ya now tho, but would ya not think of giving Connemara a skip, if ure on for Cork as the sub-3. I'm just thining it might take more from you than you'd gain?in terms of training/tapering for it and recovery?

You're probably right but I have the go ahead from the OH to do Connemara and Cork is a long way off so never know what might happen between now and then so i'll take my chances and get at least one marathon in in 2010 in Connemara. 8 weeks is plenty to recover between the 2 marathons especially considering I'll be running connemara 'conservatively'. If I'm not fully ready for a sub 3 in Cork, I'll still run it but won't be dissappointed not to be chasing a time target....theres always Dublin!

Getting a treadmill hopefully in the next 2 weeks so actually things are looking up training wise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Getting a treadmill hopefully in the next 2 weeks so actually things are looking up training wise!
    `

Thats good news gringo,the extra mileage will bring you on further.
    your tempos and intervals are spot on,if you did more miles per week it can only help you in your quest for sub 3.

I would agree with tisnotover though,but as you have the green light,i understand you dont want to let go of that.

I hope to see you on the home straight in Cork !

I have a 12 week plan for that which starts March 15th..roll on.
    As Tergat suggested,the early part of your marathon program should be concentrating on the short races,which is what i am doing now with
    the two races in succesive weeks coming up for me.

Yourself and Tisnotover should come down to Kilmac this Sunday,cant be to faraway from you...only 10 mins past Dungarvan on the way to Waterford.

@Gringo good news about threadmill lad, be very handy for tempo runs as well i'd say.
    forgot that there is 8 weeks between the two races, that should be enough for ya.would love to do Connemara myself someday.

@Sosa, mite be heading down alrite Sosa, not too far from home like, will decide after track session later.

Feb 17th

Finally well enough to run again today after a bad dose of some sort of winter vomiting bug…no running for 5 days!

Said I'd take things easy by not jumping straight into a tempo so did 7 w/6 at PMP. Average 6:47 for the 6 miles PMP. Didn't have the HR monitor with me today but run felt easy enough and was able to hold the pace easy enough by feel. One benefit of the tempo runs, they make PMP feel easy.

Total: 7.1 miles at avg pace 06:55

Feb 18th

6.4 miles easy, hilly at avg pace 7:39, avg HR 147

Feb 19th

Interval Session: Plan was 4x2km at 6:00 min/ml pace.

Took 2min recovery jog between reps. Splits were 05:55 (165) / 06:08 (173) / 05:54 (173) / 06:05 (177)
    Average Rep pace: 06:00

Reps 1 & 3 were with the wind, reps 2 & 4 against the wind so adjusted the pace + & - 5sec depending on the wind. Best interval session to date, fastest pace and shortest recovery times.

Total: 7.7 miles at avg pace 06:45, avg HR 161

Feb 19th

Interval Session: Plan was 4x2km at 6:00 min/ml pace.

Took 2min recovery jog between reps. Splits were 05:55 (165) / 06:08 (173) / 05:54 (173) / 06:05 (177)
    Average Rep pace: 06:00

Reps 1 & 3 were with the wind, reps 2 & 4 against the wind so adjusted the pace + & - 5sec depending on the wind. Best interval session to date, fastest pace and shortest recovery times.

Total: 7.7 miles at avg pace 06:45, avg HR 161

Very good session lad and it is your best to date, your right back in the game!

Feb 20th

LSR: 20.1 miles at avg pace 7:54, avg HR 152. Had the opportunity to do a 20 miler today (wouldn't have been able to get out tomorrow) so even though I had a tough interval session yesterday, couldn't let another weekend go by without a LSR so did it.

Twas tough as my legs still felt tired from yesterday from early on but took it easy and got it done...last mile was uphill average grade 6% so could practice for Connemara. Had no breakfast and just eat a banana before heading off. Brought a 500ml lucosade sport with me and sipped on that so wasn't ideal prep for a long run but glad I've one done now. Did my first 20 miler 4 weeks before the marathon last year so at least getting them in earlier this time!

Miles 9-15 were from mahon point following the proposed new cork marathon route to end of centre park road so good practice for Cork.

• Advertisement

nice one lad!
    I think its good to have a tough session the day before, see that in a good few marathon plans, nice feeling to be able to knock out a 20mile run like that i'd say!

Advertisement