Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Training v2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Sosa wrote: »
    Absolutely no sense in not going for it Gringo,worst you could do is 61 mins...so you might aswell have a go.
    I went up to Dungarvan looking for sub 62...so that cost me as i did 60:36 and those 36 secs were gone over the first 3 miles.
    Next 10 miler i do,i will be having a crack...i didnt think i had a prayer at sub 60,thats why i didnt even contemplate it.

Yeah, I'll know from my HR anyways if I'm pushing it too much and I'll back off. One thing I am certain off...10 mile races hurt....a 5 miler is over quick, a HM marathon you're not pushing it to LT pace, but a 10 miler, you are on the limit for an hour and its tough! Good marathon prep I think. On my LSR on Saturday thoughts were running through my head that maybe I shouldn't be running ballycotton at all, and should do another LSR that weekened instead, but I think the 10 mile race will be beneficial and I will recover from it in time for connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

You need to race a 10 miler or a half 4/5 weeks before a marathon.
    I truly believe that now,i didnt last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Gringo78 wrote: »
    March 4th

Planned PMP run by HR. Aim to keep HR at 160. 6.25 miles at avg pace 6:53, avg HR 161.

Total: 7.1 at avg pace 6:57 avg HR 159

14sec a mile slower than last week which was no surprise really as have
    been sick and tired this week. Shows the benefit of the HR monitor as I would have tried to run too fast without it.

Couldnt AGREE more on the above. Tells you how you are.

Why dont you incorporate ballycotton with a 2o miler. Thats what i may do. How far is the finish from where we park the cars ? Would it be 10km ?
    Thats my plan anway.

March 9th

7 miles easy, hilly, at avg pace 7:23, avg HR 146

Why dont you incorporate ballycotton with a 2o miler. Thats what i may do. How far is the finish from where we park the cars ? Would it be 10km ?
    Thats my plan anway.

I'll be buckled after the 10 miles....1 or 2 miles cooldown is all I'll be able for. Might try to get out for a mile or too later in the evening to aid the recovery but no way am i running back to the car park, thats too much punishment! It probably is about 10km alright.

• Advertisement

I'll be buckled after the 10 miles....1 or 2 miles cooldown is all I'll be able for. Might try to get out for a mile or too later in the evening to aid the recovery but no way am i running back to the car park, thats too much punishment! It probably is about 10km alright.

How buckled ? for a few minutes or longer ?
    Maybe i dont run these races hard enough,but im never buckled for to long.....i could easily have done another good few miles about 5 mins after finishing the dungarvan 10.

How buckled ? for a few minutes or longer ?
    Maybe i dont run these races hard enough,but im never buckled for to long.....i could easily have done another good few miles about 5 mins after finishing the dungarvan 10.

I suppose I wouldn't be that buckled, certainly wasn't after dungarvan, but the legs would have started to stiffen up and I'd be very wary of getting injured. I will be giving it 110% though in ballycotton so I expect I'll be fairly knackered for a good few minutes afterwards.

I don't think you ran dungarvan hard enough, I'd say you were well capable of at least a minute faster on the day. You've set good PB's recently though and very soon you'll be having to race outside your comfort zone to get PB's. I think if you only aim for sub 3 in Cork it'll be quite a comfortable marathon for you, I think though if the training goes well for you and you remain injury free you should race it to the best of your ability on the day...you never know when you will next get to the start line of a marathon after a good injury free training period.

I suppose I wouldn't be that buckled, certainly wasn't after dungarvan, but the legs would have started to stiffen up and I'd be very wary of getting injured. I will be giving it 110% though in ballycotton so I expect I'll be fairly knackered for a good few minutes afterwards.

I don't think you ran dungarvan hard enough, I'd say you were well capable of at least a minute faster on the day. You've set good PB's recently though and very soon you'll be having to race outside your comfort zone to get PB's. I think if you only aim for sub 3 in Cork it'll be quite a comfortable marathon for you, I think though if the training goes well for you and you remain injury free you should race it to the best of your ability on the day...you never know when you will next get to the start line of a marathon after a good injury free training period.

I know what your saying,i'll see how the 12 weeks training go and take it from there,i am just so wary of what happened to me in Dublin.
    But even though i have set good times lately,thats not to say that a sub 3 is a given...maybe im not suited to marathon racing regardless what other times you set.

IBut even though i have set good times lately,thats not to say that a sub 3 is a given...maybe im not suited to marathon racing regardless what other times you set.

get those negative thoughts out of your head.....it was fairly clear what happened to you in Dublin and I doubt it'll happen again.

March 10th

Interval Session: Planned 4x2km at pace less than 5:55 per mile.

Reps were 5:55 (169), 5:48 (173), 5:56 (175), 5:55 (175). Reps 1 & 3 were into the wind so took 2.5min jog recovery after those, 2min jog recovery after Rep 2. Avg rep pace: 05:53.
    T
    ough one today, could still feel mondays tempo in the legs. 2 tough sessions out of the way though early in the week.

Total: 6.9 miles at avg pace 6:32 avg HR 166

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

How are you going to manage run the marathon at heart rate.
    Will it not start low and push up. For example I did a long fast one monday and was upto 159 on heart rate. How do you know you will last ?? Was thinking off wearing hte H~R.......

How are you going to manage run the marathon at heart rate.
    Will it not start low and push up. For example I did a long fast one monday and was upto 159 on heart rate. How do you know you will last ?? Was thinking off wearing hte H~R.......

I'll start off with 2 miles @ 7:00 pace to ease into things, HR will have come up and stabilised by then. HR will start to go up but I'll only let it go up gradually, gradually dropping the pace but keeping HR to 160 for first 10 miles, max 163 for next 10 (easing it up gradually rather than a jump in HR after 10 miles of course) and then seeing whats left in the legs after that. A lot of hills in Connemara so will limit the HR to 165 on those which will drop me back by about 2min/ml.....will gain some of that back though on the downhills. Its an experiment really, I'm not going for sub 3 (although if theres a chance of it after 22 miles I'll obviously go for it....but will not chase sub 3 pace early on, pace will be what it falls out at) so nothing to lose really...I'm fairly confident of beating my 3:26 from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Hey lad, spotted this on Running in Cork website, mite be of interest, will pop along myself I'd say.

Road Running/Endurance Workshop Cork IT March 12th

There will be a Road Running/Endurance Workshop taking place at Cork IT on Friday 12th March from 7-9.30pm. Registration is at 6.45pm sharp at the white/grey building next to the track entrance and the workshop fee will be 5 Euro payable on the night.

This workshop is open to all levels of runners/coaches aged 17+. Topics covered on the night will include (Warming Up, Different types of training for endurance athletes, Heart Rates & Training, General Training Tips, and Training for 5km, 10km & Marathon and Q&A session). The guest speaker on the night will be 2009 Cork City Marathon champion Michael Herlihy.

For further information please contact Regional Development Officer Steven Macklin 0876335565 or steven@athleticsireland.ie

tisnotover wrote: »
    Hey lad, spotted this on Running in Cork website, mite be of interest, will pop along myself I'd say.

Road Running/Endurance Workshop Cork IT March 12th

There will be a Road Running/Endurance Workshop taking place at Cork IT on Friday 12th March from 7-9.30pm. Registration is at 6.45pm sharp at the white/grey building next to the track entrance and the workshop fee will be 5 Euro payable on the night.

This workshop is open to all levels of runners/coaches aged 17+. Topics covered on the night will include (Warming Up, Different types of training for endurance athletes, Heart Rates & Training, General Training Tips, and Training for 5km, 10km & Marathon and Q&A session). The guest speaker on the night will be 2009 Cork City Marathon champion Michael Herlihy.

For further information please contact Regional Development Officer Steven Macklin 0876335565 or steven@athleticsireland.ie

thanks. the opening of mahers thurs eve looks interesting too. OH's birthday on friday though so will miss it!

March 12th

4 miles easy on treadmill

March 14th

20.5 miles LSR at avg pace 07:50, avg HR 149. Ran this one unfuelled, after no breakfast and with no water. felt tough from about 13 miles on. Stopped at a shop after 19 miles and got a lucosade sport which i badly needed before hitting the hill to home.

happy though, that may have been my last LSR before connemara. easy week this week in the run up to Ballycotton and may do the tergat 5-4-3-2-1 PMP workout 2 weeks out from connemara.

45.5 miles for the week. Missed 2 days this week due to work and sick baby

March 14th

20.5 miles LSR at avg pace 07:50, avg HR 149. Ran this one unfuelled, after no breakfast and with no water. felt tough from about 13 miles on. Stopped at a shop after 19 miles and got a lucosade sport which i badly needed before hitting the hill to home.

happy though, that may have been my last LSR before connemara. easy week this week in the run up to Ballycotton and may do the tergat 5-4-3-2-1 PMP workout 2 weeks out from connemara.

45.5 miles for the week. Missed 2 days this week due to work and sick baby

Well done Gringo,20 is hard no matter what fuel you have...
    45.5 is a good week for you,and you missed 2 days also....
    Are you usually under 40m ?
    I am also incorporating some of tergats runs into my weeks coming up.

Summary Training So Far:

Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3|Wk 4
    26.6|37.5|46.1|36.1

Wk 5|Wk 6|Wk 7|Wk 8
    38.1|18.1|41.3|51.7

Wk 9|Wk 10|Wk 11|Wk 12
    46.3|45.5||

Avg mpw: 38.7

Tempo|Interval|PMP|LSR|Race|Recovery|Easy
    7|9|5|5|1|9|17

Well done Gringo,20 is hard no matter what fuel you have...
    45.5 is a good week for you,and you missed 2 days also....
    Are you usually under 40m ?
    I am also incorporating some of tergats runs into my weeks coming up.

See tables above Sosa. Is my 5th >40m week in 10. Had hoped to do more last week as I'm taking things easier this week in the run up to Ballycotton but I had my best Tempo, Interval sessions alst week and also delighted to have got in a 20.5 mile LSR so no complaints. Its quality not quantity is whats important.

And your right....20 miles is always hard....when I say tough, I mean tougher than I expected it be, 20 milers having a certain predefined level of toughness anyway.

March 15th

4.8miles recovery run at avg pace 7:50, avg HR 133.

Felt so much better today and the HR was so much lower than yesterday that I think I may actually have had a virus or something yesterday. I did have a sore throat yesterday morning and had a temperature when I got back from the run but thought it was from being out in the sun rather than a virus. I really felt yesterday that I could not have run a marathon whereas today I felt I could have. Every time the baby is sick I pick up something off him (since he's started in the Germ Factory Creche) so hopefully he doesn't pick up anything more between now and ballycotton.

I felt a bit disheartened after yesterdays run but feel a lot more positive today about ballycotton and connemara. Legs felt incredibly fresh today for 24hrs after a 20 miler.

• Advertisement

damn it, you've pulled ahead of me in the 1000mile challenge, you and your 20mile runs ;)

tisnotover wrote: »
    damn it, you've pulled ahead of me in the 1000mile challenge, you and your 20mile runs ;)

Ah....but I've a taper starting soon, so you'll be back ahead before you know it...although those 26 miles in Connemara will pull back a few....damn, I should have entered the Ultra instead! That would been much better for the 1000 mile challenge!

March 16th

5.5miles easy, hilly, at avg pace 7:41, avg HR 141

March 17th

PMP run. plan was to keep HR at max 160. did 11 at PMP avg pace 6:52 avg HR 158. total 13.9 miles at avg pace 7:04 avg HR 154

March 19th

4.1miles easy, hilly, at avg pace 7:49, avg HR 139

Might get out for one more run tomorrow before Ballycotton. Struggling a bit against a virus the last few days but should be ok for Sunday.

Might get out for one more run tomorrow before Ballycotton. Struggling a bit against a virus the last few days but should be ok for Sunday.

Hope virus clears up proper lad for Sunday.
    Looks like we mite be ok with weather....touch wood!

60:12 today for ballycotton 10. hill took too much out of me on mile 9. full report tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

60:12 today for ballycotton 10. hill took too much out of me on mile 9. full report tomorrow.
    Great running. Well done Gringo!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Excellent time! Good going.

• Advertisement

brilliant running lad, well done, especially in the heat!
    results are up, ure well inside top-100, did ya get the t-shirt, me jealous ;)

Advertisement