Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Training v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

+1 sorry to hear that. cork aint far away though. good luck with the new goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

April 6th

11 miles easy, hilly, and sandy at avg pace 7:27, avg HR 155. Did this one up in bundoran and ran 3 miles on the beach, fabulous landscape up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

gringo, fair play i can only admire putting the family 1st -a shining example.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    gringo, fair play i can only admire putting the family 1st -a shining example.

i can run marathons for years to come but you only get one shot at family time. i'll be in good shape for cork and the family will be there to cheer me on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sorry to hear that Gringo, but it sounds like a solid decision. I made great gains last year when I trained for a marathon that I never got to run (due to injury), and then hopped into training for a second marathon as soon as I had recovered. Think of it as two-phase training!

• Advertisement

April 7th

13.2 miles easy, hilly, and sandy at avg pace 8:00, avg HR 144. Felt very unenergetic on this run.

April 8th

17 lengths of a 25m pool and muscles I don't know the name of are sore. Been a long time since i swam and could only manage 4 lengths straight without stopping. Lot of work to do. Found theres a 25m pool next door to where I'm working now so will swim at lunchtimes until I get my technique and fitness a bit better before hitting the sea.

April 8th

9.7 miles easy, hilly, at avg pace 7:35, avg HR 155. Felt a bit of my mojo coming back this evening. The runs are very hilly, all up and down, practically no flat bar the few miles on the sand that I warm up with and tis a bit slower running on the sand, but starting to feel strong again after a few poor weeks running.

April 9th

First early morning run in 12 months...was tough not to hit the snooze button on the alarm. Plan was to run some PMP miles repeats with 1 min easy between each rep (5 reps). Mile repeats were 6:36 / 6:44 / 6:42 / 6:48 / 6:43. HR was a little high but was tired after the last few days. Back into full intensity training next week. >40 miles this week, go for >50 miles next week. Hopefully the swimming will help with the increase in mileage.

Total: 6.5 miles at avg pace 7:04, avg HR 163

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Gringo78 wrote: »
    April 9th

First early morning run in 12 months...was tough not to hit the snooze button on the alarm. Plan was to run some PMP miles repeats with 1 min easy between each rep (5 reps). Mile repeats were 6:36 / 6:44 / 6:42 / 6:48 / 6:43. HR was a little high but was tired after the last few days. Back into full intensity training next week. >40 miles this week, go for >50 miles next week. Hopefully the swimming will help with the increase in mileage.

Total: 6.5 miles at avg pace 7:04, avg HR 163

Fair play for getting up out of it and even more so for doing a run at PMP pace that early...hope they're treating ya well up there!

• Advertisement

tisnotover wrote: »
    hope they're treating ya well up there!

Lovely running up here...its a pity couldn't have done the connemara training up here, the runs on the cliffs in bundoran would toughen you up, very undulating. Now if only the weather was 25degC it would be perfect training for cork marathon :D

Best of luck on Sunday....outside chance I might go along, bring the kid to the playground in the park there.

April 12th

10.5 miles easy, hilly, at avg pace 6:51, avg HR 152. no running at the weekend so was very fresh this evening.

April 13th

26 lengths of a 25m pool and felt so much better today. Did 1 length and then 3x8 lengths and then 1 length. Big improvement from last week so heading in the right direction. Taking me 4min for the 200m blocks swimming nice and easy. Will try to up to number of lengths in a row tomorrow. No muscle pains today at least.

April 13th

17.2 miles LSR, hilly, at avg pace 7:48, avg HR 141.

This run felt tough after about 13 miles which was for a combination of factors - running after a days work (would normally do LSR at weekend), swimming 4 hours beforehand, 10.5 miles at sub 3 pace previous evening, stomach being off before I went out and not having done a run >14 miles in over 5 weeks. So all in all I was happy with the run and looking at pace v's HR, it was as good an LSR as I've done.

April 14th

lunchtime: 500m swim concentrating on breathing every 3 strokes rather than my usual 4

evening: 8 miles recovery at avg pace 7:44 avg HR 143

April 15th

8 miles easy @ avg pace 8:04, avg HR 143. Did part of this run with a work colleague and was showing him how to do some intervals so we did some 400m reps at 6:30 pace with a lot of recovery between.

Summary Training So Far:

Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3|Wk 4
    26.6|37.5|46.1|36.1

Wk 5|Wk 6|Wk 7|Wk 8
    38.1|18.1|41.3|51.7

Wk 9|Wk 10|Wk 11|Wk 12
    46.3|45.5|40.8|31.1

Wk 13|Wk 14|Wk 15|Wk 16
    10.6|40.4|43.7|

Avg mpw: 36.9

Had planned to hit >50 last week but sick since last thursday and doesn't look like I'm right enough to go running this evening so unlikely to hit 50 this week either. Only 5 weeks hard training left before Cork taper begins.

Had planned to hit >50 last week but sick since last thursday and doesn't look like I'm right enough to go running this evening so unlikely to hit 50 this week either. Only 5 weeks hard training left before Cork taper begins.

Sorry to hear you've been hit with another bug, you were only just after getting over another one a few weeks ago?

There's not much you can do but look after yourself first, the mileage will come later, still 5weeks training to go as you say, hopefully you'll be fully over the cold this week, and can get the higher mileage weeks you want in after?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

getting your bad luck out of the way early gringo. hope it clears up soon

Sorry to hear you've been hit with another bug, you were only just after getting over another one a few weeks ago?

There's not much you can do but look after yourself first, the mileage will come later, still 5weeks training to go as you say, hopefully you'll be fully over the cold this week, and can get the higher mileage weeks you want in after?

Not overly worried about the mileage, as long as I get in an LSR this week. I have the pace I want, its endurance I need now which seems to come slower for me. 43 miles would count as a high mileage week for me and I had 2 swim sessions also which I wouldn't normally have, so happy enough with the training.

As regards the sickness, have been hit a couple of times over the last few months and I'm not 100% sure whether I'm getting it off the baby since he went to creche (he's sick about every 2 weeks - all ahead of you theboyblunder) or whether its from training - URTI's become a problem as you up the mileage. On recommendation of a colleague I'm going to start taking some multivitamins every day and have berocca on standby to start taking if I feel the onset of anything. Its a nasty chest infection I've had the last few days which I possibly could have warded off if I'd heeded the signs earlier last week.

Anyways, feel like I should be able to go for a short easy run this evening and by thursday will hopefully be up for an LSR. With 5 weeks left plenty of time to get 3-4 20 milers in.

• Advertisement

On recommendation of a colleague I'm going to start taking some multivitamins every day and have berocca on standby to start taking if I feel the onset of anything. Its a nasty chest infection I've had the last few days which I possibly could have warded off if I'd heeded the signs earlier last week.

Yep, would recommend taking a multi-vtiamin, I take RUBEX myself (1/day), you should see the stack of empty containers on my desk!

Enjoy the run later !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Not overly worried about the mileage, as long as I get in an LSR this week. I have the pace I want, its endurance I need now which seems to come slower for me. 43 miles would count as a high mileage week for me and I had 2 swim sessions also which I wouldn't normally have, so happy enough with the training.

Anyways, feel like I should be able to go for a short easy run this evening and by thursday will hopefully be up for an LSR. With 5 weeks left plenty of time to get 3-4 20 milers in.

:eek: Wow - that's an amazing thought when a 20 miler would be a significant milestone of my training and I'd be doing 30+M weeks but at a much slower pace. I'd be worried about cramming those in and not tapering properly :o. Fair play to you - best wishes for Cork.

Edit - ahhh, see now that the 5 weeks is of hard training rather than the time until Cork

RedB wrote: »
    :eek: Wow - that's an amazing thought when a 20 miler would be a significant milestone of my training and I'd be doing 30+M weeks but at a much slower pace. I'd be worried about cramming those in and not tapering properly :o. Fair play to you - best wishes for Cork.

Edit - ahhh, see now that the 5 weeks is of hard training rather than the time until Cork

Cheers. I have 3x20 milers and 2x17milers already done in the last 9 weeks so I'm not advocating cramming or anything or a sudden jump into 20 milers but would like a good straight 5 weeks of solid training, no injury, no illness. And a 20 miler is always a significant milestone I think, its a tough run. I'm in awe of the guys who did double that in Connemara.

April 20th

Lunchtime swim, only 500m, still sick so wasn't in great shape for this but my swimming is getting a lot better and breathing which has always been a problem for me is now quite good on both sides.

April 21st

Still wasn't fully recovered but said I'd give an easy run a go. 5.9 miles easy at avg pace 8:10, avg HR 142. Its a chest infection/asthma I've been suffering with the last week so was a little short of breath but legs felt fine. Felt great after the run and will give an LSR a go this evening.

April 22nd

13.5 miles at avg pace 7:53, avg HR 142. Wasstill not fully recovered from the chest infection and struggled with asthma for the first 4 miles but persevered. Doing 20 miles would have been counterproductive so decided beforehand to try to stay out for 90min, managed 1hr 45min so was happy. Chest was bad but legs felt great, I've the weekend now to try to fully kick the latest bug.

Got some SIS Go-gels as recommended by TNO and a hydration belt which holds a 500ml bottle in which I had lucosade sport and a smaller bottle which could hold 2x60ml gels. The gels flowed fine from the little bottle and were very easy to take so will definetly be using the SIS Go-gels in Cork, delighted to have found an easy gel to take, thanks TNO.
    As regards the hydration belt, found it bulky and think its good for taking on the remaining long runs but will not be wearing it in the marathon, will cary 5 or 6 gels and depend on the water and energy drinks that are handed out.

good to hear about gels, def easier to take than the hi-5 ones...

any plans to race a 10mile / half before the marathon? doing bay run myself, 50euro's, very cheeky !

any plans to race a 10mile / half before the marathon? doing bay run myself, 50euro's, very cheeky !

Would like to do one but not going to happen. next race will be Emer Casey 10K in Youghal on May 23rd unless I find a midweek evening race up in sligo/donegal before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Would like to do one but not going to happen. next race will be Emer Casey 10K in Youghal on May 23rd unless I find a midweek evening race up in sligo/donegal before then.

Will you run it flat out ?
    Theres a 5m down this way the night before,holds a bit of sentiment for me as it was the first place i broke 30 mins (last year),but Cork only 2 weeks later i am sceptical of doing it.
    I would love to do it,as its a good fast course.

Sosa wrote: »
    Will you run it flat out ?
    Theres a 5m down this way the night before,holds a bit of sentiment for me as it was the first place i broke 30 mins (last year),but Cork only 2 weeks later i am sceptical of doing it.
    I would love to do it,as its a good fast course.

No, probably won't run it flat out but its my home town and a charity race for a girl I knew so will run it even though only 2 weeks from the marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

No, probably won't run it flat out but its my home town and a charity race for a girl I knew so will run it even though only 2 weeks from the marathon.

I'm thinking it might be good thing (flat out),as you are already a week into taper,the middle of the 3 weeks you drop mileage further and the week of the race you are barely doing anything.
    I think Krusty did a 10k time trial on his own two weeks out from Barca,he ran sub 6:00 pace.
    If i do it i really want to try beat 28:24....but maybe closer to the time i might just do enough to go sub 30.
    Decisions.... Decisions.....

Advertisement