Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu screen resolution problems

• 05-01-2010 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

when i install Ubuntu the default resolution goes to 1040 x 720 (roughly)

on windows 7 its 1280 x 1040 (roughly)

why is ubuntu not allowing an increase in the resolution? makes the screen look terrible

thats with all available nvidia drivers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

I don't have machine with Ubuntu (9.04) in front of me.

You should have a seperate Nvidia application to setup screen resolution. You can set it to detect monitor/TV and select correct resolution. I run Ubuntu on Acer Revo with XBMC. Great OS and great little piece of hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

Mylow wrote: »
    I don't have machine with Ubuntu (9.04) in front of me.

You should have a seperate Nvidia application to setup screen resolution. You can set it to detect monitor/TV and select correct resolution. I run Ubuntu on Acer Revo with XBMC. Great OS and great little piece of hardware.

the max resolution it goes to is the one i mentioned. thats through the nvidia control panel

is there a way of manually setting it?

its strange because i had it installed on an old pc with the same monitor and same graphics card and it worked fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

In the Nvidia X Server Settings, just below the dropdown where you set the resolution is an 'Advanced' button. Click it and it'll let you enter a custom resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 duvelhedz

Also make sure to chech the correct drivers are installed in

System --> Administration--> Hardware Drivers.

The nvidea drivers are proprietry and are not installed by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Blowfish wrote: »
    In the Nvidia X Server Settings, just below the dropdown where you set the resolution is an 'Advanced' button. Click it and it'll let you enter a custom resolution.

I have the same problem

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055789321

That advanced setting just allows panning, I can't change the resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

pisslips wrote: »
    I have the same problem

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055789321

That advanced setting just allows panning, I can't change the resolution.

sudo vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Change the resolution here.

Advertisement