Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mystic storys of the desert.

• 05-01-2010 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys I was wondering if you would share with me some storys you've heard about your muslim mystics over the centuries? One story I heard once got me in the fit of giggles I thought it was brilliant. I wont qoute it because I cant remember exactly how it goes, it goes something a little like this:

the master is in his tent having something hot to drink, when in comes one of his students and he stands upright and shouts! ''Master, I have so much faith in God that I left my camel outside without tieing it to the post, I have faith in God that it will stay put.''

the Master replied: ''You fool, go back outside and tie your camel, God will not do for you what you can do for yourself''

hahaha funny isnt it? lol

God bless
    Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

This story is actually a well-known hadith (tradition of the Prophet Muhammad), reported by Al-Tirmidhi (one of the six leading collectors of hadiths). In translation, the hadith reads:
    One day Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) noticed a Bedouin leaving his camel without tying it and he asked the Bedouin, "Why don't you tie down your camel?" The Bedouin answered, "I put my trust in Allah." The Prophet then said, "Tie your camel first, then put your trust in Allah."

There's a discussion of what this means on the Reading Islam website. The story actually raises some deep theological issues that are by no means unique to Islam - how, if at all, do we reconcile a belief that God will provide, that God's plan will ultimately work to the good, with the need for human actions? How can we be confident that what we do, or refrain from doing, is consistent with God's will? Indeed, do we actually have the free will to choose at all, or is our apparent choice simply an illusion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

hivizman wrote: »
    This story is actually a well-known hadith (tradition of the Prophet Muhammad), reported by Al-Tirmidhi (one of the six leading collectors of hadiths). In translation, the hadith reads:

There's a discussion of what this means on the Reading Islam website. The story actually raises some deep theological issues that are by no means unique to Islam - how, if at all, do we reconcile a belief that God will provide, that God's plan will ultimately work to the good, with the need for human actions? How can we be confident that what we do, or refrain from doing, is consistent with God's will? Indeed, do we actually have the free will to choose at all, or is our apparent choice simply an illusion?

I see, and thats why Fr.Anthony told us his thoughts of it which was ''God will not do for you what you can do for yourself'' however I recollect a time when I challenged Fr.Anthonys perception/thought of this story and here it is.... He put his faith in God and God through Muhammed told him to tie his camel, thus God did provide for him and looked after his camel, but just not in the way the bendouin expected it to happen.

It reminds me of the sad story I hear of Christians who pray to Jesus to heal the wound they will die of in ten minutes and then Jesus answers their prayer by sending them an Ambulance and yet they refuse it and say ''Jesus will cure me'' and they end up dying. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

There's also the story of the person (who shouldn't be a Muslim, given the Qur'anic prohibition of gambling) who prays to God to give him a big win on the lottery. After several weeks of praying, he still hasn't won, and in desperation he asks God why He hasn't answered the prayer. God replies: "Meet me half way - at least buy a ticket."

Advertisement