Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eastcoast carpool thingy

Options
  • 05-01-2010 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested in an eastcoast carpool club thingy. I am in Bray and have no car at the moment as crashed the fecker b4 xmas. There are many of us here looking for lifts and many of us with cars( i will have one in the coming months) so why not get together and help each other out. I could set up a mailing list wherebye people could post where they are driving to at the weekend and invite people to join or if the mods allow we could set up a carpool thread either?? If you are interested then pm me and i can set up mailing list. It could be sent out every wed/thur to everyone on list and then up to each to contact regards lifts etc.

What ya think??

frAg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

I'd be up for that yeah :)
    I'm a member of the ECSC, but the more surf heads I can meet the better, my other mates have no interest in surfing (just boozing :rolleyes: ).
    The more I can get west the better, some of us from boards did meet up before, and went west but only worked once / twice.

Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭roundcrisis

I d be up for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

mmmmm, car loads of surfers heading over west / south / north. I am sure you will be welcomed with open arms.

In fact, why not organise a bus so that more people can travel together to breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

mmmmm, car loads of surfers heading over west / south / north. I am sure you will be welcomed with open arms.

In fact, why not organise a bus so that more people can travel together to breaks

Unfortunate but true! If you weren't born within 5 feet of the west coast then you're not a local! :pac:

I'm always amazed by the number of "D" reg cars making their way to places like Lahinch. 3+ hours of a journey each way, for ankle slappers??! Thats dedication! Rock on dudes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Im actually from bundroan guys so all is ok!!!

If we can get a few more names together over the next few days then i will get a mailing list sorted. Anyone know when next meeting of east coast surf club is on as wold be interested in re joining them.

frAg

• Advertisement

frag, it does not matter where you are from, the idea of organising car loads of surfers to head to spots is not going to be well received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

frag, it does not matter where you are from, the idea of organising car loads of surfers to head to spots is not going to be well received.
    got to love your positive attitude! Frag sign me up to your list...i've a got a 32 seater bus out the front door, lets fill it up and hit the west coast. I'm sure the local restaurants and bars wouldn't mind the 'foreigners' cash! :rolleyes:

Sure i tell ya what then, you stay on the east coast and have a surf in the ankle slapping waves and we can send you postcards or you can swallow this weird assumption that everyone on the west coast hates dubs(even dubs hate dubs) and join us for some fun.

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Organising 5 or 10 people from the internet to drive west for a surf the odd weekend is hardly going to result in gridlock on the waves.

Speaking of assumptions, odd that you think I am on the east coast. I live in Clare

• Advertisement

right sure we will take extra special care not to crowd the clare line ups so. Il bring my money to Cork, kerry, Sligo and Donegal eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 unluckyforsome

At this time of the year the beaches aren't that busy anyway so there's no problem.

Pop away down to Kerry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

frag420 wrote: »
    right sure we will take extra special care not to crowd the clare line ups so. Il bring my money to Cork, kerry, Sligo and Donegal eh.

Its the idea of bus loads of people descending on a spot, dropping in and snaking all over the place that mostly upsets the 'locals'. Probably happened before and pissed everyone off. Shame that people now look down on a car load of surfers coming west to get some waves.

I will welcome you to the line up in clare... just in lahinch... nowhere else! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Forget Cork, the ECSC caused enough hassle when they did this last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Tell you what all take separate cars, park an the end of lane pissing of farmers taking up all the parking spots (so the local can't park) - that makes more sense any way

Or show up in small groups, paddle out, show some respect have fun and enjoy. Cut the costs share the driving lookout of each other and stay safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

Give us a f-ing break lad. We're just trying to get a few folks together to head over for a surf.
    This attitude is unreal, so where's the cut off point to allow someone to surf??? Anyone born east of the Shannon not allowed to go the west coast!! Get a grip! :pac:

Would be nearly tempted to hire a bus and do an eastcoast surfers on tour thingy and rampage throughout the north, west and south coasts pillaging all the wee surf/fishing villages along the way. Take their women, jobs and waves!

But il stick with a car for now...........................so looks like we are getting abit of momentum going here so il try and get a plan on how this will work over the weekend and then get the details out there.

SWISH........

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 36 unluckyforsome

Would be nearly tempted to hire a bus and do an eastcoast surfers on tour thingy and rampage throughout the north, west and south coasts pillaging all the wee surf/fishing villages along the way. Take their women, jobs and waves!

You can take my job (in fact please do!!), but stay away from my waves and my women!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Problem with car pooling is that you end up becoming a taxi for people, ie can you pick me up at and drop me home...

Living in dublin this can easily add hours to the drivers day and is a pain in the arse at the end of it of it.

Also a major issue is peoples ability, if you take someone to a break, you better make damn sure that they can surf it safely.

And depending where you end up, you'll piss everyone off arriving with a car full of people(doesn't really count on main beach's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 donga_perkins

Last time I checked it was a free country, people can turn up in car loads and paddle out anywhere they want!

• Advertisement

rodento wrote: »
    Problem with car pooling is that you end up becoming a taxi for people, ie can you pick me up at and drop me home...

Living in dublin this can easily add hours to the drivers day and is a pain in the arse at the end of it of it.

Also a major issue is peoples ability, if you take someone to a break, you better make damn sure that they can surf it safely.

And depending where you end up, you'll piss everyone off arriving with a car full of people(doesn't really count on main beach's)

Well it can work like this......................I can say that i am leaving bray this sat at 7.30 am for bundoran. You can grab the dart to bray and il pick you up at the station and we can get on our way. The person who is providing the lift should stipulate where they are leaving from, where they are passing through, what time they are leaving/returning and then it is up to whomever wants a lift to arrange to be there on time or sweet talk the driver into picking them up on the way.

It is very easy people. You will find problems with this if you look hard enough...................

As for pissing people of turning up with a car load of people....................i dont really care to be honest. Do you get pissed of with the busloads of country buffs comin east for their shopping,a coffee in bewleys and a nite in coppers??( actually dont answer that ha ha)

With regards to ability i think you are right.The only thing that annoyed me when living at home(bundoran) were those that were robbing waves that they could not handle. As long as people know there limits in the water then we will all have a good time.........

And i call shotgun on first lift west!!

frAg

As for pissing people of turning up with a car load of people....................i dont really care to be honest.

Enough said.

Enough said.

Enough said indeed, as having grown up and lived most of my life in a surfing town i know what having car loads of people coming into a town means to the local economy. do you think that if it were just locals who surfed these spots that any of the surf schools, surf shops wold be able to run a viable business?? Hell no!! Granted there are some times nobbers who come into a town and ruin it for others but hey thats life. Should we irish not ski because we aint from switzerland or northern italy??

Look this thread was set up for people to get togther to travel and enjoy a common interest. If you want to come about with your high and mighty attitude then maybe you should start your own thread eh!! besides we are reducing our carbon footprint eh!!

frAg

Just read his post again, to be honest I don't think he was being high and mighty really. All he said was
    the idea of organising car loads of surfers to head to spots is not going to be well received.

If people do arrive in large groups and ruin peoples sessions then, no it won't be well received. I guess a bit of common sense aplies on both sides so we can all live and surf happily

was referring to his " enough said " reply (which i referenced) to my post as no point in posting something like that if your not gonna back it up with reason. If we all spent our time worrying about the locals we would never leave our homes eh!!

anyways not here to argue........................

can we all get back on track eh.

frAg

His "enough said" comment was fair enough too IMHO. To be honest you sound like a bit of a dick saying that you couldn't care less if people get pissed off at you for ruining their session.

I'm starting to think he had a pretty good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

His "enough said" comment was fair enough too IMHO. To be honest you sound like a bit of a dick saying that you couldn't care less if people get pissed off at you for ruining their session.

Infracted. Stay on topic and be nice to each other please.

#
    the point was more to do with people travelling over to the west taking up valuable wave space. If you read my previous post you will see i dont like people coming in an ruining sessions either regardless if they travelled by car from dub or are my old school friends in bundoran. Also when one post a reply you would like them to back it up other than to just say enough said as this is plain lazy. Also as i previously said without surfers coming from all over ireland to surf the west there would be very little surf shops, schools etc. If the table was turned and there were no waves on the west and there were waves on the east coast wold you stay west and not come over here to surf?? I doubt it.

So to those interested in carpool il be mailing you all soon..........

to those more interested in moaning about it................il see you all in the line up some day soon.

frAg

the point was more to do with people travelling over to the west taking up valuable wave space.

I don't think so, I think he was trying to say "Don't show up in large groups, all paddle out at the same time and ruin peoples sessions", maybe in not so many words but that's what I took from it on a second reading.
    If you read my previous post you will see i dont like people coming in an ruining sessions either regardless if they travelled by car from dub or are my old school friends in bundoran.

What, this previous post?
    As for pissing people of turning up with a car load of people....................i dont really care to be honest.

BTW I'm on the east coast and travel west a lot, I don't show up with a crowd and I've made some great friends all over Ireland. All I'm saying is I can understand people not wanting large groups to show up all at the same spot and paddle out. I think we can agree that that's not cool.

• Advertisement

Since when has a carfull of people been seen as a large group eh??

As your on the East coast maybe you would like to join up and offer some of us a lift west some weekend? I can bring sweets if you like?? When i have my car back on the road in a few months i could offer you a lift sometime so you dont have to drive eh!!

See, its nice to be nice!!

frAg

Advertisement