Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eastcoast carpool thingy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 unluckyforsome

I dont think anybody is saying

"Stay on your side of the country and dont go near our water"

But when you go on about car loads of people, and not caring if you piss local people off, people are obviously going to get annoyed.

Lets face it, there's not going to be "car loads" of ye.

There'll be one car load at best, so why not say me and 3 other lads instead of "car loads"

And to be fair a bit of respect to people can go a long way...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

i never mentioned car loads of people? I asked about a carpool (singular). And its not that i dont care about pssing local people of more so i dont care about the small narrow minded few out on the line up that thinks its their sole right to be there and fcuk anone else that dares.
    And so what if there are two or more cars going? the more the merrier eh. Have you ever asked the locals themselves (non surfing locals) if they mind people coming into the town. Well they dont as its brings business to these towns that wold otherwise be dead. Its the small minority that do mind and you would be foolish to pay any attention to them

And as a local from Bundoran (although not livin there now) i have seen the localism that goes on there and in other places and most of the time thats all it is, localism and nothing to do with clogging up the waves. Small town, small mind metality if you ask me.

Dont see anyone giving out about the people that fly into Ireland to go surfing. Nobody lining up to tell them not to come here eh??

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭roundcrisis

how about we keep this thread and try to read it this way:
    frag wants to carpool to the west to surf, some other ppl might be interested...
    some ppl think that might piss some people off --- fair enough

I m interested in the car pool, I m not very good at surfing ( because i dont do it enough possibly) but if we get something organised I ll be nice to locals ( and hopefully other ppl car pooling will be too

Its really weird, cause this thread got more atenttion that other threads... I dont get it. or is it the cold that makes us all really really cranky?

chill dudes

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

And so what if there are two or more cars going? the more the merrier eh.

Depends largely where you are going, anywhere other than a few large popular beaches and 'the more the merrier' will not be welcome. FACT. Donga's reading of my posts is correct, nobody in their right mind wants a session ruined by a bunch of people arriving and paddling out.

Surfing is more or less a solitary endeavour, fine to have a mate or two who's surfing you know and with whom you can trade waves, anything else is a pain. If you want to make friends and have lots of surf buddies, fine but you will have to expect that arriving en masse at surf spots will not go down well.

Also, good luck with the whole idea of arranging groups of, likely, different abilities to head surfing. Are you taking responsibility for them if anything goes wrong?

Thanks for wishing me luck bro. Im sure i wont need it though.

As for taking responsibility for others?? Why would I??

All im trying to do is get people with a common interest who have limited access to that interest together so that we can all enjoy it. If someones boards breaks then thats their issue. If they have an accident while surfing yeah sure il drive em to the doc or hosp as that is the decent thing to do but it will be their own issue to deal with and thats not me being a dick or anything as i would not expect someone to take responsibility for me if i hurt myself out surfing. There are too many people on this thread looking to find faults in this carpool thing which really is quite sad.

Now one last question regarding carpooling. Is the issue with loads coming over from the east coast to surf or just general carloads of people turning up to surf. I know from prev experience when living in both bundoran and strandhill that myself and my mates would jump in the car and drive up the coast looking for a good spot to surf. Never had any problems with that. However their always seems to ba an issue with people travelling across the country to surf. Do you all check there car reg's to see where they are from b4 passing judgement or listen for an accent that aint local. Like it or not people surfing is gonna get bigger and bigger in this country. We are gonna have to accept that and get on with it.

Anyways must start work.............

frAg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

To answer you, it is not to do with where 'loads' are coming from. It is to do with attitude, respect and etiquette.

To be honest, I remember a saying I heard one time, 'only a surfer knows the feeling'. If you do not acknoweldge what is being said here, it is not worth any further debate and I will leave it at this;

Organise what you want, I just hope that you and your surf buddies do not turn up and spoil one of my sessions.

oh so only a surfer wold not travel in groups. I know the feeling bro. As do many others and thats why they continue to travel every weekend from all over to feel it again and again.

Do you think that because a car load of people turn up they know nothing of etiquette, respect etc?? Thats a very narrow assumption eh!!

I know my limits when it comes to the water and thats why I would not risk getting in at say 3D or the peak just yet and mainly stick to bach breaks and reefs i can handle. Maybe other dont know their limits but i do and i always tell other to know their limits too.

And they aint my surf buddies........................yet!! But when they are we will be sure not to spoil your lonesome fun.

Enjoy your lonely session.......

frAg

ok then............

anyone interested can you email me at eastcoastcarpool@gmail.com and i will add you to mailing list over the next few days and we can take it from there.

cheers

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

Organise what you want, I just hope that you and your surf buddies do not turn up and spoil one of my sessions.

Céad míle fáilte :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am not a regular, but I have to do one quick job in Sligo on Saturday morning, so I was thinking about visiting Bundoran for quick session with rented gear. If anybody wants a lift, just PM me.
    I'll be leaving at about 6:15 from Tallaght area and the job should be done within one hour (if you want to have breakfast meanwhile).

• Advertisement
Advertisement