Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

InterRailing Best/Worst Destinations

• 05-01-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm planning on going InterRailing this summer for roughly 3 weeks and was wondering if anyone with experience of travelling Europe had any tips on great places to see or places to avoid. Any tips on how much money to bring etc. would also be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Juggler_

Went travelling on my own last year,

Id recommend:
    Poland
    Prague
    Berlin
    Rome
    Florence
    Naples
    Paris -expensive

I like Rimini but had to leave because no one speaks english there.
    Full of young ones tho

I worked out a daily budget and stook to it. I think it averaged out at about 50-60euro a day including hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lilirish

Your best off not planning it too much. There will always be placed one person loved but you might hate.

What are you looking for from your trip?

I went two years ago and loved:

Berlin, Krakow, Prague, Verona, Salzburg and Spain.

Eastern europe was a million times cheaper than the west but just as nice. Italy was crazy expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭steve_oh

do you buy one big ticket at the start or do you just wing it from station to station?? Always awnted to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lilirish

You can buy a ticket from usit for about €300 which is valid for a month and you can use as many times as you want. Good value if you make the most of it and convenient. Some station though like you to make a reservation though and this can cost from a few euro to 15.

There are some restrictions but these are minmal from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 chilljuice

To be honest I'm just looking for a great experience and to see as much of Europe and what it has to offer! I would prefer to stay away from any real tourist places that I'll get a chance to visit in the future and see places I'd never think of holidaying in really. I'd say we'll avoid Italy possibly as everyone going has been there and I know how expensive it is!
    Cheers for all the replies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭FeetMagic

Hi,
    I went interrailing last year for 3 weeks and our group all bought the '10 days within 22 days' train ticket so you have 10 journeys to use within the 3 weeks.

http://www.interrailnet.com/interrail-global-pass-order

We only ended up using it 8 times but it is definitely a money-saver. If you were to purchase tickets seperately at each train station you would definitely end up paying a considerable amount more.

My main recommendation is Slovenia. None of the other places we visited compared to that of Ljubljana and Lake Bled, esp Lake Bled. If you can try have Lake Bled near the end of your trip even better as it's a great place to wind down and really enjoy the outdoors buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dresstoimpress

My boyfriend and myself went last summer, but just bought tickets as we went. Worked out just as cheap as we ended up traveling by ferry quite a lot.

Best was definately the whole of croatia. Was hard to get to but definately worth it, and so cheap. We did a little island hopping here, but would love to have had more time. Just fantastic.

Second best was tuscany in Italy, full of local characters who were so welcoming and the food was unreal. Not as expensive as other parts of Italy. Nightlife wasn't mad, but was a nice break in the middle of our trip.

My least favourites were budapest ( beautiful buildings but very dull) and Nice ( shockingly expensive):eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

FeetMagic wrote: »
    Hi,
    I went interrailing last year for 3 weeks and our group all bought the '10 days within 22 days' train ticket so you have 10 journeys to use within the 3 weeks.

http://www.interrailnet.com/interrail-global-pass-order

We only ended up using it 8 times but it is definitely a money-saver. If you were to purchase tickets seperately at each train station you would definitely end up paying a considerable amount more.

My main recommendation is Slovenia. None of the other places we visited compared to that of Ljubljana and Lake Bled, esp Lake Bled. If you can try have Lake Bled near the end of your trip even better as it's a great place to wind down and really enjoy the outdoors buzz.

I done it a few years ago where me and a mate joined on to a group of friends who already had the pass booked. We just turned up to stations with them and booked ourselves. Worked out almost 100 euro cheaper than their pass. And we never had problems getting on any train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cherrycool

"Best was definately the whole of croatia. Was hard to get to but definately worth it"

I have to second that. It is a little out of the way, and the trains aren't great but its absolutely gorgeous. You can do a bit of island hopping aswell if you want, ferries are relatively cheap, and accomadation is always available, the second you hop off the boat there's little old ladies waiting to offer you rooms!

My other reccomendations are Krakow and the often overlooked Bratislava, both of which are absolutely DIRT cheap. Not much to do in Bratislava, but for a day or two its worth the stop, particularly if you're travelling to or from Budapest seeing as its probably going to a be a stop on your train. And I really can't express enough how cheapt stuff is!!

Budapest is good too, definitely go to the baths if you can! amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Personally, I would say Barcelona, Paris, Colgone, Berlin, Vienna, Ljubljana, Venice are worth checking out on the way around.

Great 'out of the way' cities include Lisbon, Talin, Dubrovnik, Skopje, L'viv and Thessaloniki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

I went last year and if you want to party and drink then definitely Berlin, Prague, Krakow.

We also went to zsigit in hungary aswell which was savage.

We spent our last week in croatia and found it very boring compared to the rest. Its got nice beaches but we got bored of that after a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Berlin, Florence and Bosnia were my favourite spots. Sarajevo and Mostar are fantastically underrated. I had a great time there. I can PM you the name of two great hostels we stayed at. They were cheap and the owners did day long tours of the countryside for only 15 euro extra!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Been interrailling a few times by now, here are my painfully leaned tips:

1) Buy an interrail ticket, and a flight in, and a hostel in the first city, and nothing else. Roughly plan where you want to go, and look up the best hostels in the cities, but don't book them. If you like somewhere, then you can stay longer, and if you don't like somewhere, you can leave early without losing deposits etc.

2) Go to Bled in Slovenia.

3) Pack all your stuff. Then take it out, and leave half of it at home. Seriously.

4) Deposit all the money you have for the trip into your bank account to use on the trip. Then double it. Seriously. You will run out of money, every single time.

5) When packing, but clothes into ziplock bags. Close it 90%, then sit on it, squeeze the air out, and close it fully. Halves the size of it.

6) It's going to be way hotter than you expect.

7) Be careful around the place, but you can more or less all those interrailling horror stories about people being kidnapped and killed and robbed and and and, they're one in a million stories.

8) I find the less people on the trip the better, makes it easier. Unless the group is so big that you can split up into groups of 2/3.

9) Don't go to Rome, Venice, Paris etc. They're too expensive for interrailling, save them for when you can afford to stay in a hotel and pay into museums. Krakow, Budapest, Prague etc are much better for interrailling trips.

10) Go for longer. You'll wish you had the second you get home :D

Advertisement