Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt collection agency watchdog?

Options
  • 05-01-2010 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

Is there currently any debt collection agency watch dog in the ROI or somewhere that I can make a complaint to with regard to a debt collection agency?

The back ground to this is that I owed money on a billpay mobile phone that I had. I cancelled my billpay in order to switch to prepay. I had money outstanding from this which I had forgotten to pay. It was referred to Centurion debt collection agency.

Centurion sent me a number of threatening worded letters about payment. Now I arranged to make payment in installments after I received the first letter from Centurion in December. The first I would pay in December and the second and final I would pay in January. The total sum was approximately €170. I have currently paid off all of the debt with the last payment currently being processed.

My complaint is with regard to how they handled the situation. Today, I received a letter from them saying that they will be taking legal action to clear the remaining amount unless payment was made. I had already agreed to pay this month and the final is being processed from my bank account. Do I have any recourse or right to complain about the number of threatening letters that they have sent even though I had an arrangement to pay already made and some of the debt was already paid off?

Any of the letters that they would send would usually be predated as well. For example today the 5th of January I received the letter the was dated the 30th of December. I phoned them today but no one answered and was greeted by an automated voice message saying when they were closed for the Christmas period. According to the voice message they would have been closed on the 30th of December.

I have dealt with other debt collection agents before for much larger sums of money and have found them to be 100 times better than this company. It is the issuing of the threatening letters that I have an issue with? To whom can I complain to? Is there any point or am I wasting my time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You're wasting your time. There is no regulation, but you can safely ignore them and their idle threats.

Advertisement