Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Temporary cover

Options
  • 05-01-2010 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hey all.
    I searched the forum but couldnt find a definitive answer.
    I need to get some temp cover to drive a friends car home for him (buying). Tried hibernian but no joy with them. I'm named driver on another policy at the moment which cannot be transferred.

Just wondering is there any companies out there who can give temp cover? otherwise I dunno how we're gonna get it off the forecourts.
    I know i've left this last minute but I'll check regularly tonight via mobile. (I will thank when I get back on the laptop then)

Thank to all who reply or know anything that can be helpful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Hibernian always let me transfer? :S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

who is the policy owner of the policy you're on?
    Could they drive it for you? Most fully comp policies will cover driving of other cars. Make sure you read the small print though as some places specify that the other vehicle must also be insured.

Can you transfer the policy you are named on to this new car for the a few hours and then back again? Again the policy holder will most likely have to do this but at least you'd be covered to drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

ShayK1 wrote: »
    who is the policy owner of the policy you're on?
    Could they drive it for you? Most fully comp policy with cover driving of other cars. Make sure you read the small print though as some places specify that the other vehicle most also be insured.

That'll depend on the policy. It normally only covers you to drive the other car as long as it's already insured in the owners name and you have permission to drive it. It's not blanket drive any car cover, that doesn't really make sense.

Paul

flamegrill wrote: »
    That'll depend on the policy. It normally only covers you to drive the other car as long as it's already insured in the owners name and you have permission to drive it. It's not blanket drive any car cover, that doesn't really make sense.

Paul

and what did i just say?

i see there is a typo but come on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Presumably the car currently has no insurance policy attached to it at all because it's being bought. So it's either second hand or an import or brand new. Either way what you're proposing won't work :)

He'll need to move a policy to it or get temporary cover from an insurer for it. I'm afraid I don't know of any companies that do "temporary" cover where it's not based on you moving your policy to a car for X amount of time :/

• Advertisement

right, whatever!

OP: I could drive it on my policy. I would only be covered 3rd party but I could drive it. Presumably I'm not the only one in the country with this type of policy. If you look at your certificate of insurance and check under Particular Number 5, this details the driving of other vehichles. Check it out. The policy holder, may be covered to drive for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

policy i have is commercial so can't transfer. will check when mate will be insured. thanks for swift replies!

Advertisement