Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary teaching without honours irish

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Nead21 wrote: »
    if you qualify in Ireland you also have to do the probationary year of having approx 4/5 visits from inspector.

I know. That's why said "also need to" in reference to being trained in the UK. I am a teacher, I did the probationary year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I know. That's why said "also need to" in reference to being trained in the UK. I am a teacher, I did the probationary year :)

ok but maybe you should reread your post...there is no mention of "also need to" ....sorry to be pedantic

btw im also a teacher! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 baloobus123

clairek6 wrote: »
    im in jc at the moment and at the begining of the year i dropped down to ordinary level irish tbh it was the higher level teacher who turned me off the class as i hadnt a clue what was going on in the class..,in my mocks i got 86% so im just wondering is it possible to change to higher irish for senior cycle, as i would love to be a primary school teacher...

Heya, I was the same as you I dropped down in J.C. because of the teacher and I was lazy but I would have been well able for the honours course I know now. You should go back up to honours in forth year. It will be tough but it will just involve working hard at it for two months to catch up and it would be worth it. I wish I moved back up to higher level in forth year, instead i stayed in pass with terrible teachers and my irish has got worse and worse. I am going into my second year in college and am now considering going back to resit my honours irish l.c. this year which is going to cost loads of money for grinds and everything and the fact I havent done irish in nearly two years. I think you should DEFO go back up to honours. It'll be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

you can apply to ucas and train there.... then if you want to teach here you have to pass an irish exam, i'm assuming it would be honours standard

• Registered Users Posts: 12 christinek2010

Hi i done my leaving certificate last year and 4 b's and 3 c's but the thing is im not happy with it as i have a b2 in foundation irish and maths as i paniced the day of the exams cause i was very sick but now i am going back to repeat my entire 6th year and resit my leaving certificate. Ever since i was about 5 i new i wanted to be a primary school teacher but the onli thing stopping me is that i do not have honour level irish is there any other way which does not involve going to england to become a teacher with this i am open to any suggestions and will be open to do abs any course which is intended ( just not leaving the republic of ireland as i have a family and cant just pack them up to leave ) i also dunno if i would be fit to do honours irish this year as i have ordinary level irish before i dropped to foundation and i was also doing well in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

hi everybody thanks for all your replys nearly a year and a half ago, im in fifth year now and am back in honours irish. thanks for all the advice.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Advice please , repeating the leaving cert , did pass irish this year got a b1 , want to take higher irish next year is it doable??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

C__MC wrote: »
    Advice please , repeating the leaving cert , did pass irish this year got a b1 , want to take higher irish next year is it doable??

I'm not sure how difficult/easy it'll be for you, but you're probably lucky there's a new Irish course this year, otherwise you'd have to do eight extra honours poems and Stair Na Gaeilge and all of that. You should check with an Irish teacher if you can use the poems and stories you did last year when repeating, I think you might be able to. :) How good you are at speaking Irish will be really important too as the oral is worth 40%.

I'd say it's possible if you work really hard. :) You'll probably need grinds too, and/or you could go to some 5th Year higher Irish classes if the teacher (and your timetable) allows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

C__MC wrote: »

I think you should just try the honors paper for now. All you need is a C3 for primary teaching which you could easily get with a bit of hard work! And besides, the course for 2012 (I am almost certain!) has changed so it is a lot easier...you only have 5 poems to do and then an option of an extra 5 poems OR a story...as opposed to something like 8 extra poems AND a story. And if you go to the gaeltacht during the february midterm next year then that'll bring up your oral which is now worth 40% which last year I think it was 25 and the aural is 10% so only 50% goes for the written paper. And the best part, instead of having to write a 600 word essay, now we only have to write 400! So definitely consider doing honors. You have up until the day of the LC exam to change back to pass!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure your Irish is as good as it possibly can be. You will be responsible for the Irish levels and attitude to the subject of hundreds of children over your career.

• Advertisement
Advertisement