Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different brands of whistle

Options
  • 05-01-2010 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for a new brand of whistle recently for the following reason. I've been playing a good while and tbh generation whistles are just rubbish. They sound as cheap as they are. Basically I'm sick of them. Also they've changed the mouthpieces recently which has made them even worse.

So, off to the world of the internet I go to find http://www.colingoldie.de/whistles.html. I want to know if anyone has any experience of these or any other non-beginner sort of brands because I just can't justify spending €150 on an instrument i've never even held before.

Thing is, most music stores only stock generation whistles, or poor tourist things that I have no interest in at all. I want something decent. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I use mainly Dixon whistles, they have a nice range and they're cheap and lots of places have them in Ireland. They have polymer, aluminium, nickel and brass. You really can't go wrong with a brass Dixon TRAD tuneable for around 20 Euro. They are solid, no buzziness, well balanced and sweet right up to the 3rd Octave. It's really impossible to fault these. Only thing is that they aren't loud but then again neither are Gens, they're about the same. So it depends on how loud your pub or session is. If you need something louder you should look at the Susato range, again you'll find these in shops here.

http://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/catalogue/dixonshop.html

Heres a quick review of the Dixon trad in brass, the first one in this video is an aluminium which costs around 50 Euro, the second is the Trad which as you'll see he's pretty fond of and costs much less.

http://www.kerrywhistles.com/movies/Dixon_High_D.wmv

It's true what you say about some of the new Gens, this is why the older ones are still highly sought after as indeed are some of the old Sodlums. They say theres usually only one good Gen in a batch of 20 so you have to be lucky to find one. What some people are doing is " tweaking " their Gens to remove any of their off the shelf problems, this involves you doing some work to the mouth piece. Some even swap the mouth pieces for ones from other cheap whistles to make what they call " Frankenwhistles ". I've tried a few of these and to be honest I still wasn't impressed with the resulting tone. My Dixon trad still has a much more solid tone. If you prefer a breathier/flutey tone you could look at their polymer ones.

I'm the same as yourself, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on something without trying it first. I've borrowed and tried some 200 Euro whistles and wasn't impressed. Glad I didn't waste my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I have to agree with Blade. I would strongly recommend Dixon whistles. My personal favourite - they have a lovely sweet tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

fh041205 wrote: »
    I've been looking for a new brand of whistle recently for the following reason. I've been playing a good while and tbh generation whistles are just rubbish. They sound as cheap as they are. Basically I'm sick of them. Also they've changed the mouthpieces recently which has made them even worse.

So, off to the world of the internet I go to find http://www.colingoldie.de/whistles.html. I want to know if anyone has any experience of these or any other non-beginner sort of brands because I just can't justify spending €150 on an instrument i've never even held before.

Thing is, most music stores only stock generation whistles, or poor tourist things that I have no interest in at all. I want something decent. Any thoughts?

Think this page will interest you:
    http://www.chiffandfipple.com/Expens.html

Has some great comments on higher end whistles. As for Goldie's, read about Overton's there as he used to make them.

I know a lot of people who play Sindt whistles and say they're very happy with them but I can't comment myself I'm afraid, good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 david.lpower

I have a Tony Dixon which is made of brass and a wooden head joint, it sounds great. I got it in Pro musica in Cork. One problem, you need to get it very warm before the high a and b sound correctly, otherwise they sort of squeals

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I have a Tony Dixon which is made of brass and a wooden head joint, it sounds great. I got it in Pro musica in Cork. One problem, you need to get it very warm before the high a and b sound correctly, otherwise they sort of squeals

Brass with a wooden head joint? That must be an old type? How long ago did you get that? AFAIK they are all plastic delrin fipples now. It's always advisable to warm them up anyway for tuning and condensation reasons.

• Advertisement

banjopaul wrote: »
    I know a lot of people who play Sindt whistles and say they're very happy with them but I can't comment myself I'm afraid, good luck! :)

If I was going to splash out on a high end whistle without being able to test it, it would be a Sindt. Never tried one but that's just going by what I've read and samples I've heard. A lot of top players use them. For now though I'm happy with the Dixons, a Sindt would be a waste in my hands anyway, I wouldn't sound any better, maybe in years to come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 david.lpower

Blade wrote: »
    Brass with a wooden head joint? That must be an old type? How long ago did you get that? AFAIK they are all plastic delrin fipples now. It's always advisable to warm them up anyway for tuning and condensation reasons.

Hello Blade,

I couldn't tell you how old it is, I only have it a year but who know how log it was in the shop. I was informed by the shop clerk that the head joint was wooden and to my eye it is but I could be mistaken.

Didn't know they made them with a wooden head joint, thought they were always Delrin. The high notes thing must only be an issue with the wooden ones, no problems with the Delrin fipples right up to the second C#.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I've taken a punt on the Dixon Trad tuneable one you mentioned Blade. Hopefully it'll satisfy my curiosity a bit.

Ironically, there doesn't seem to be any demand for whistles from shops. There mustn't be a market for it, since most don't stock much of a selection.

I think most of the main Dublin shops have some Dixons. If you're driving down from Drogheda, theres a place in Baldoyle that might be handier to get to than going into town.

http://irishmusicalinstruments.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=201&osCsid=91a2a50fa61a4730f5fcceb5daef51b1

The trad comes in nickel and brass, I went for the brass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Tradnuts

From you thread, it seems you've already decided on a dixon. tbh, i dont know these, but i have a few burke whisles. I took the chance and spent the money, around 150 i think. Totally the best whistle i've ever even tried.
    I know people always say on boards that what they own is the best, but this really is worth the money. Had i known, i would have got one years ago.
    So There.:)
    www.burkewhistles.com/ the one i got is the D Brass.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Yea I went for dixon. Its a really great whistle for 25 quid. I'll be getting a few more whenever I get some money. Thanks for the link but I think its a bit out of my price range tbh. Thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 HENARRY JAYA

Check to make sure the metal retainer clips that hold the pads in are seated correctly...if the metal piece is rubbing against the rotor it will do that.

Advertisement