Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G stores Temporary Closure! Is it the start of a trend?

• 05-01-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies for confusing the issue 3G stores rather than 3. Rte did show 3 mobile network on the report and link
    I can't edit thread title though

Following on from '3's decision to close their retail stores in Ireland http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0105/3g.html
    Are we seeing the beginnings of paradigm shift in how Service operators interact with us customers?
    From a purely cost basis it has to be an attractive option for Corporate management, eliminating many frontline costs associated with running the shops, aside from the staff costs!
    While consumers may not be happy with buying phones/contract and other services online or via callcentres....
    How long will it be before other operators move to a similar model and we'll have to just accept it!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'd suggest a mod edit this is not '3' the mobile brand this is the '3G stores' a completely separate company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

i suggest you fix the thread title as it is NOT 3 stores that are closing but 3G stores. they are completley different to the three network and the title can be very misleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

banie01 wrote: »
    Following on from '3's decision to close their retail stores in Ireland !

3G Mobile and Three (the network) have nothing got to do with each other, 3G Mobile sell 3's products but they are not any part of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

banie01 wrote: »
    Are we seeing the beginnings of paradigm shift in how Service operators interact with us customers?
    From a purely cost basis it has to be an attractive option for Corporate management, eliminating many frontline costs associated with running the shops, aside from the staff costs!
    While consumers may not be happy with buying phones/contract and other services online or via callcentres....
    How long will it be before other operators move to a similar model and we'll have to just accept it!

There is more telesales action but that's mainly o2 as their retail presence has disappeared leaving a lot of customer high and dry with little alternative other than to buy online or deal with telesales.
    From a cost basis a shop should be making money, if it's not it's in the wrong business. Some mega stores like Henry St probably don't make a profit but there's many around the country that do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think we get the point 3 != 3G.

But for the Op's point - it's not. if it is a paradigm shift then I think we would have seen Waterstones and other bookshops disappear long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

In fairness RTE did report the closure of the 3G Stores but they accidently showed 3 Stores in their report.

3G will be a great loss especially if you want Apple gear in a brick and mortar store. Lets hope they find a buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

That was a rather big error on RTEs part.
    The story was all shots of Three's store and the three.ie website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gregpm

I immeadiately rang my friend who works for 3 (hutchison) to find out more after I saw the report on the 6 o'clock news.

Its a pretty big mistake for RTE to make.

edit: I know the average person does confuse the two. but you don't expect this from national news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

gregpm wrote: »
    I immeadiately rang my friend who works for 3 (hutchison) to find out more after I saw the report on the 6 o'clock news.

Its a pretty big mistake for RTE to make.

The company is over 4 years old and people still make the same mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

i work in 3 and i swear every second customer either asks do we sell meteor or starts a sentence with, Hey i bought this in 3g....its so annoying....well not anymore i guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Darz0re

steve_ wrote: »
    i work in 3 and i swear every second customer either asks do we sell meteor or starts a sentence with, Hey i bought this in 3g....its so annoying....well not anymore i guess

The ~200 people that may have lost their jobs now are relieved that you won’t have to go through that again

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

ah come on now my comment was just in the relation to the previous post to mine. i know people who worked in 3g, i was just saying how often people get confused about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I dont think it matters a bit which one is gone , the good news is that one of the 3 s is gone, so what a couple of hundred minimum wage kids get laid off ,they can go back home to mammy and daddy and play with their playstation games, with abit of luck some more of these network shops will close up and clear off.
    they didnt care about all the independant phone shops they put out of business over the past years .
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.

3G IS an independant phone shop.Just like more that 4 ha's is the universal sign for "spastic".

The story on the RTE is site is exclusively surrounded by "3" ads...Was that the quickest apology in history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

3G IS an independant phone shop.Just like more that 4 ha's is the universal sign for "spastic".

The story on the RTE is site is exclusively surrounded by "3" ads...Was that the quickest apology in history?
    I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'd also imagine this is what the guy in the locked thread was banging on about with his 'rumours'. Looks like he made the same error as RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

.............Just like more that 4 ha's is the universal sign for "spastic"...................
    :D PMSL!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

gregpm wrote: »

edit: I know the average person does confuse the two. but ****you don't expect this from national news****.
    why don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭boarder777

Was passing 3g store in blanch. It had a notice on the window saying its closed due to a stock take. intresting..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

All stores seen to have the same sign up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fluffy70

There is more telesales action but that's mainly o2 as their retail presence has disappeared leaving a lot of customer high and dry with little alternative other than to buy online or deal with telesales.
    From a cost basis a shop should be making money, if it's not it's in the wrong business. Some mega stores like Henry St probably don't make a profit but there's many around the country that do.
    O2, Vodafone and Meteor will always have a store presence in the High Street.
    Customers still need sim changes,numbers copied from sim to sim.etc.
    Problems get sorted for the customer who knows nothing about how a phone works by staff who know how to change ringtones,fix mms problems and teach customers how to navigate menus.
    These stores can sustain themselves yearly with staff who concentrate on accessorie sales and encouraging prepay customers that Bill pay is the way to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement