Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3D Blu Ray & HD TV

• 05-01-2010 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

read recently that new blu ray discs will have 66GB of storage, presumably for 3D movies.
    And that providing the processor in yout player is sufficent, only a firmware update will be needed.
    Now.. here's my query,

I have a Blu-Ray player and a 1080p 200hz tv, will i be able to watch 3D on this TV, or will i need a new type of tv?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

pa990 wrote: »
    read recently that new blu ray discs will have 66GB of storage, presumably for 3D movies.
    And that providing the processor in yout player is sufficent, only a firmware update will be needed.
    Now.. here's my query,

I have a Blu-Ray player and a 1080p 200hz tv, will i be able to watch 3D on this TV, or will i need a new type of tv?

To my knowledge : YES , NEW TV
    Based on current Stereo Scopic 3D format - the reason being new Profile 1.4/ 3D TVs have dual-scanning capabilities: both images (3D) in near-simultaneous frames, one for each eye, to create the 3D illusion henc is 120HZ minimum standard , most current TVs are only single-scan.
    However there is allot use in the player taking the brunt of this in so far that 1.3(X) / profile two players will do this task. The HDMI group have listed the 1.3 profile capable for Bluray 3D.

>Sol
    (Back to the HDMI cable question on the new format sorry to say people)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

the older players that are hdmi 1.3 (which is any current blu ray player) can be used with 3d bluray BUT you will only get 1080i 3d and not 1080p 3d. you need HDMI 1.4 to get 1080p 3D

ANOTHER BUT! the players CAN be firmware upgraded IF THE MANUFACTURERS DO IT. Sony have announced they will update the PS3, but do you honestly see all the other manufacturers (and even Sony on their other models) releasing new firmware for 3d when they could just sell you a new 3d bluray player??

and even if they do release the firmware updates you'll only be getting 1080i 3D pictures.

so in summary, you'll need at least a new TV. and then depending on your manufacturers discretion you may need a new bluray player.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

the older players that are hdmi 1.3 (which is any current blu ray player) can be used with 3d bluray BUT you will only get 1080i 3d and not 1080p 3d. you need HDMI 1.4 to get 1080p 3D

ANOTHER BUT! the players CAN be firmware upgraded IF THE MANUFACTURERS DO IT. Sony have announced they will update the PS3, but do you honestly see all the other manufacturers (and even Sony on their other models) releasing new firmware for 3d when they could just sell you a new 3d bluray player??

and even if they do release the firmware updates you'll only be getting 1080i 3D pictures.

so in summary, you'll need at least a new TV. and then depending on your manufacturers discretion you may need a new bluray player.

adam

Just to reaffirm what Moe(Adam) said,
    I have been doing some asking about it seems extremely unlikely that current BRP will NOT be upgraded to play back even 1080i 3D disks because of "hardware" limitations
    So it looks we "all" need both.
    >Sol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Blu 3d, IMHO, will be marginally successful, due to the required glasses/goggles, a severe no-no for bespectacled viewers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

A definite wait and see on this one , no way will any current TV give the same effect as watching in a cinema , unless your watching on a projector , and also theres the stupid glasses problem , cant see people using those at home.

I predict one of the biggest flops of 2010 , I cannot see this selling.

andy1249 wrote: »
    A definite wait and see on this one , no way will any current TV give the same effect as watching in a cinema , unless your watching on a projector , and also theres the stupid glasses problem , cant see people using those at home.

I predict one of the biggest flops of 2010 , I cannot see this selling.

We all said that about about HD and Bluray though.

Imagine the next Big movies in 3D ? Toystory 3 and Tron 2.0 ! CGI bonanza!!!

>Sol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Blu 3d, IMHO, will be marginally successful, due to the required glasses/goggles, a severe no-no for bespectacled viewers.

I managed to be able to experience 3d in the cinemas despite being bespectacled.

Tis a bit odd, but one can put one pair in front of the other. It perhaps looks strange, but thankfully cinemas are dark. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

What is the story with 3d projectors then? Will they take longer to come out and be considerably more expensive?

Already available in 720p under €1000.
    Mitsubishi and Hitachi have released 1080p models but not inside Europe

>Sol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

It will definitely be better to wait and see how things pan out, as whenever new home video technology is launched, bugs, glitches etc are never too far behind, with firmware updates always "coming soon". As such, consumers becomes the guinea pigs for the manufacturers, which is ridiculous; just look at what happened with HD DVD and Blu-ray, initial HD DVD players could only output 1080i and the first Samsung Blu-ray player had a faulty noise-reduction chip, resulting in image quality appearing to be less than HD DVD, even though both disc formats would contain the same transfer.

I would rather wait until 3D compatible Blu-ray players and TVs are on the market for a while before wasting money needlessly on cutting-edge technology.

Advertisement